I had an emergency colectomy with ileostomy this past March. Major complications but finally home and doing pretty well. My problems are weight loss and dehydration. My appetite is very poor and I am concerned because many times the ileostomy bag is pretty much water. I have alway been a bland eater and now is no different. Any advise on diet and nutrition would be great.
Thanks for the help
Joan

Hey I also had my colon removed and had diet troubles then my ostomy nurse said stay away from raw vegtables and fruits nuts popcorn and beans and so far its been working really well

I’m afraid that weight loss is one of the almost inevitable things that happen after colectomy or ileostomy procedures, not only because the procedure itself is very difficult for the body, but also because you simply function differently after it has been done. And as far as the diet that would help you to normalize things goes, the advice the guest before me gave you is very true> raw vegetables and fruit usually have to be avoided.

As far as the big problem is concerned, one thing that might help you combat the effects of dehydration are sport electrolyte drinks, obviously, in smaller amounts – but they still do contain minerals you lose with dehydration. And, you have to keep in mind that no matter what, you have to try to bring different food into your diet, keeping the most important thing in mind just eat small meals.

It took me a good year to regain my weight, this is a big surgery and major change to ones body. I googled the "ostomy" non profit organization and found a local chapter, with people who lived with ostomies. They were very helpful. I did not mix liquids with my food, just a sip or two if needed. Stayed away from corn, seeds, etc. I did use psyllum husk fiber powder which actually absorbed the water but only in very small amounts until I figured out the right amount and I never used capsules or tablets as they would get stuck in the stoma and separate my bag. They did not have time to disentigrate.

I've had my complete colon removed (colectomy total) w/ ileostomy for two months. Then ostomy take down and J pouch hookup. But the new J pouch got diseased with my ulcerative colitis appearing and destroying the pouch so in surgery #3 they removed the pouch and placed a permanent ileostomy. My rectum was sealed off. A while after that my stoma prolapsed out like a hernia. In surgery #4 they pulled it back in. This concluded my ABD surgeries. My 5th surgery was a thyroidectomy complete after hyperthyroidism. I am now 150 percent illness and disease free. My dietary recommendations for you are to eat lean proteins.. turkey, chicken, fish. White breads and breads without seeds or wheat are okay. Super soft or blended up veggies (well cooked veggies that are almost like mush) are okay. I don't eat raw fruits of any kind. NO seeds, asparagus, tough meats, corn, proscuitto, salami, pepperoni, steak, basil, any kind of lettuce green, almonds or nuts,... anything that can cause an intestinal blockage that can lead to emergency surgery is off limits. What wins with ileostomy and stoma people are soft foods that will process easily. Promax energy bars without any tough ingredients are good for protein, as are chicken and fish. Soft cheeses are good to. Soy milk is good for calcium and calories. Smooth (creamy) peanut butter with SEEDLESS jellies are good too. Applesauce will help slow down stoma output. It requires strict diligence and discipline eating with a stoma but in doing so you will keep yourself out of the surgery OR room. I hope this helps you.

Go on a low residue diet and this will calm your small intestine.

Activist
I think you should go on by this way and for further nutrition and diet keep in touch with your doctor...