I need to remove both of my upper wisdom teeth. I’ve been told that complications are ALWAYS related to this procedure. What complications can occur? Does anyone know?

Hello, it is good that you are interested in this topic. See, some side - effects and complications can happen when it comes to wisdom tooth extraction and wisdom tooth removal as well. I think that you should ask a little bit your dentist to explain this to you, but I will try to help you. I think that the main and the most common risk that can happen is a dry socket. That is a situation where a blood clot fails to develop in the tooth socket, or if the blood clot becomes dislodged. Also, during the surgery, it can happen some nerve damage, infection, and bleeding of course.  

I don’t know why and who told you that complications are ALWAYS related to wisdom teeth removal, because as far as I know they are rare. Most of them are temporary and include infection, temporary sinus complications, injury to other teeth, numbness, temporary joint problems in the jaw, and in very rare cases, jaw fracture.

I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed, one on the upper left and two on the bottom. It does hurt for a few days afterwards. This is day 4 for me after surgery. So far the only thing that bugs me is the teeth moving to cover the space. The dentists tend to give medicen just to prevent infection. Most the side effects are very rare.

It's day four after my lower right wisdom tooth was removed and I still have swelling and numbness. Is this normal and how long should I expect it to last before worrying that the numbness won't disappear. I do not have a dry socket, bad pain or fever.

sides wrote:

They recommended wisdom teeth removal for my husband, and he and I completely regret the procedure. I am a physician, and thought I could trust the dentist, but now doing research, it isn't necessarily an essential preventive operation. He developed an abscess on one side, became very ill and was on antibiotics for two months, and almost hospitalized. He now has developed horribly uncomfortable scar tissue and bone regeneration on that side of his jaw. On the other side, he has permanent numbness in the bottom lip. He was FINE before. Defininitely do some serious research about whether or not this procedure is appopriate for you.

My IQ decreased from 140 to 120 after having two wisdom teeth extracted.

Are you serious? I didn't realize that "wisdom" teeth actually contained 5 IQ points each! :-P

Question,

i had my wisdom teeth removed around 10 years ago and they had to do surgery to remove them since they were burried sideways inside my gums. They performed a procedure where they 'unhook' your jaw to get to the back of my mouth to remove the wisdom teeth. Everythign went well, but it's not until a couple of years later that I noticed a slight thing like my jaw is not aligned correctly and it looks a little bit side ways. Just a little bit. My front teeth don't align with each other, they're a bit off. Also when I open my mouth wide, there's a slight 'click'. It's hard to describe. Nothign painful though. What can I do? I haven't seen the surgeon that perform the surgery in a long time, almost 10 years. Should I go to another doctor see what he thinks?

Thanks

Please tell me you're joking. Not being rude, but I sure hope the last person is kidding. I mean, in a way, it's funny - a misalligned jaw (not in reality, but if a joke, sorta funny). At least, you could get people to laugh pretty easily, I'm sure! :-D

Anyway, I'm no doctor nor expert, and frankly I don't see how you could trust anyone to REALLY be one in an open forum like this. However, I would think that common sense about it would say that if you want to really know if you've got problems, then yeah, you should go to a doctor. If you think you've got problems with your car, you go to the mechanic, right? I mean, if the wheels are out of alignment, there's not much good in you just taking it to a neighbor to look at (unless they happen to be a mechanic with the expensive alignment equipment).

And for your body? I say you'd better get it checked.

I think you may have developed TMJ. It's not a major condition, but may be worth checking with your dentist/ orthodontist about as some people require surgery to correct it. I will again place emphasis on that it is normally not a major problem, more of a nuisance. For some it may cause the jaw to lock or headaches/ earaches.

It's been two weeks since I've had all four of my impacted wisdom teeth removed. One of my teeth was near a nerve so the oral surgeon left a piece of the root of the tooth in there. As a result I am numb in my lower left lip and chin and just recently developed a huge abscess in the lower right area of my mouth. Upon talking to many friends who had the same procedure, I came to the conclusion that complications do happen but are rare. The numbness is expected to subside in about a month or two and I am seeing the oral surgeon today about the abscess. Don't get your teeth removed unless your are experiencing pain or discomfort i.e. headaches, teeth moving, etc. This is a surgical procedure and with any there are possible complications.

It does sound like TMJ. I have had it for almost 11 years now. With my TMJ I have headaches, neck & back pain with muscle spasms, ear problems and hearing loss. Go see an Orthodontist they can make you a bite splint.

In Reference to Prior Post Experiencing Lost IQ Points:

I had the same problem with reduced IQ after multiple wisdom tooth removals. After I had my upper right wisdom tooth removed I dropped from 136 to 130, according to standardized tests administered by my psychopathologist. After the upper left wisdom tooth was removed I lost an additional 4 points; down to 126.

I subsequently had two titanium implants placed, in a manner consistent with primate experiments, with a resulting jump in IQ back up to 133. Hypothetically the titanium implants may favorably influence electromagnetic qualities of the of the blood-brain barrier, resulting in a rapid uptake of DHA fatty acids. (These acids comprise 60% of the brain, and are essential for optimal cognitive function.) Spinal fluid samples revealed a two-fold increase in DHA fatty acid concentrations following implant placement.

I am now planning an experiment to have multiple titanium implants placed around my head in the skull bone. In so doing I wish to explore the possibility of inducing a mental state of increased awareness and autistic savantism. (Apparently the autism part is unavoidable based on consistent outcomes with with monkeys.) I will be the first human! I will let you know about the outcome next month.

Cheers!

Miami, Florida

I just had my teeth removed 3/2/2011, I had absolutely no complicantions and I had oral surgery done. The only thing that bothered me was the moving of the teeth and all that is is dicomfort.