Mine started just before I put on a large graduation party at my home. I thought I was coming down with something, starting with a sore throat. But all that ever came from it was this lump in the base of my throat feeling that I've had now for a couple months. Just had an ultrasound and thyroid bloodwork to see if there's anything else going on. Coffee makes it worse though.

Have you had any success since this post? Currently going through this.

Same problem, runny sinuses and swollen throat (not sore) with what seems to be a lump....I smoked for several years as well and then quit. Never drank coffee and never had problem until I started drinking it (problem began about 3 or 4 years after I started). Swelling in throat is under control until I have my first cup of coffee in the morning then it starts up. It doesn't seem to matter if it is decaf or not. If I stop drinking coffee for a day or two it goes away. Problem used to be triggered only by certain types/brands of coffee (fresh brewed not instant) but then eventually them all. As long as I avoid all types of coffee (especially fresh brewed) I'm alright. Tea doesn't seem to have quite the same effect.

Friend of mine who almost never drank coffee in his entire life (but smoked)... one day had a cup for fun and told me "my throat feels like it's swelling up." I used to think it might have had something to do with the acidity of the coffee but even after neutralizing the acidity (w/ cardamom etc...) the swelling still persists. Only way to manage swelling is to stop drinking coffee for a few days and then have a cup or two for a day or two (preferably instant, though I like fresh better).