My daughter broke my sternum 6 1/2 years ago and to this day we can't get it to heal. I have had surgical plates inserted to stabalize it in hope of promoting healing but those plates broke in half as well. I had my second surgery last may and had new stronger plates inserted. Those plates are now coming loose. I am on a 5 lb weight restriction and to do NOTHING in hope of healing it as there is nothing to secure anything to anymore. If these plates break, they may have to take my sternum out entirely...but then I run the risk of my Collar Bone caving into my Ribs. :O( It is fractured in two places and dislocated. I live in constant pain. Any arm movements, scrubbing, etc. make the pain worse. And to sleep...HEH..not easy. I have two body pillows and I have to position just so to make sure that my back and spine are straight and in line to prevent excessive sternum pain while sleeping. My doc is great though and I have vicoden for the really bad nights. During the day I just suffer. Some days are worse then others. The hard part is that I have 3 kids and the youngest is only 1 1/2 and I am not even suppsed to pick him up as he weighs over 30 lbs. I am using a bone stimulator twice a day and have a TLSO brace but those don't seem to be helpling either. My bone density test came back normal..so it's all very frustrating. I have been on the stimulator and the brace for over 6 months now and it is just as broken as it ever was. Sooo frustrated. Anyone have any ideas? I am seeing an Internal Medicine Specialist and a Cardiothoracic Specialist Surgeon. But they are stumped when it comes to me! UGH! Sooo frustrating.

I was acting crazy and something popped in my chest. Every time I sneeze or couch it can be very painful. When I lay on my side I have trouble rolling over. Any idea on what’s wrong here?

i was in a 4 car pile up a week ago. and doctor only asked me to get x-rays yesterday.

i have a fractured sternum. but the pain just keeps increasing day by day. is there a possible reason to this? could there be anything else seriously wrong? im worried. i struggle to breath and struggle to ly down.

I broke my sternum after tripping over a extension cord. I still have trouble taking deep breaths especialy when doing cardio. I also notice sharp pain sporaticly when lifting heavy things. Is this something others have or are experiencing?

I'm on the same boat as you. Try physical therapy exercises for the chest and acupunture with electrical stimulation. Also Asian massages help when they step on your back.

I am 7 months into a sternal fracture that was displaced as a result of car accident. I cant anyone to do anything about it other thatn pain medication at time. I can so feel your frustration

New Member
1 post
I fell on the sidewalk and landed directly on the area under my neck but above my breast, the fall was hard against the cement. The area was bruised and has been painful when I caugh, sneeze, pick up anything over a few pounds. The fall was 6 weeks ago and the pain is still with me. Hard to raise my arms over my heat too.