Dont sit down. Thats the best thing to do. I used to get these things all the time. Then I started working and I didnt get one for almost two years. When I stopped working it has started to.come back because I am sitting alot more then a normal person. So tomarrow I have to make sure I stand all day everyday till this thing goes away.

Anonymous
I too experienced the exact same thing years ago. I was in the Army at the time and working out a lot. This included doing a ton of situps and crunches. While doing a rapid rate series of situps on hard ground, I felt a bizarre "popping" sensation on my tailbone. Thinking nothing about it I finished my workout and headed back to the barracks. While showering I felt this bizarre lump on my tailbone through the skin. There was no bleeding or pain so I ignored it. By the next morning, the lump had grown considerably and now hurt to touch it or the surrounding area.
I went on sick call and the medic who first examined it said it was a "traumatic" cyst. Like a blister, it formed when the skin, being held almost immovable against the hard ground was "rubbed" from the inside by the tailbone. This created a loose pocket between the layers of skin which of course filled with fluid and became engorged.
The doctor who eventually examined me said he could drain it and see if it healed, but recommend opening it fully, removing all fluid and damaged tissue. Then it would be treated with antibiotics and packed with a sterile gauze strip to allow it to heal from the inside out.
I experienced no real problems except the surgeon used an extremely strong version of local anesthetic. Unlike the typical "bee sting" you experience with lidocaine this was more like a 400 lb. wasp! However I was numb from my back almost through my body to my front and from the lower back almost to my knees, so I guess it was better than being stuck a bunch of times with normal local anesthetic. Removing the guaze was also a very weird sensation but it served its purpose.
The open wound quickly closed and healed. My only limitations were a couple of days bedrest (on my belly of course) and taking it easy for a few weeks. This put a real cramp in my workouts but proper healing is way more important. I now have a scar that very much resembles an "in-ny" navel on my back. My kids used to I had two bellybuttons.
So, if you haven't done anything yet I highly recommend the D&C procedure. I've never had a single problem since. Good Luck!

Hi I'm brandy I have a hard lump on the top of my crack and in the last week it has double in size I have been to the dr three time the first time they told me it was a cist the they said it was abasis and now it's a tumor and that I need sugary but I can't afford it but the pain form this thing is hurts so bad I can't sit or walk or even lay down I'm on so much pain meds and there not working what else can I do when I can't pay for the Surgey

If the doctor did drain the liquid out. It was probably a common cyst. I've had it both on my wrist and tailbone.

I have a little bump on my tailbone. It started about three days ago. I think I slept on my back overnight two days n a roll. I think its just hurting from the pressure. I am concerned though cause last night the pain was so bad. I have to put a ice bag on it just to sleep. I have never had this type of pain before can anyone help me figure out what's going on n if I should go see a doctor

I have this bump on the bone of my tailbone..it hurts to walk, sit down and stand up from sitting and to the touch, it feels like bone..its not squishy at all and no fluid have come from it but it hurts alot. Any help?

I too have the tailbone bump, I'm 16. I wrecked my cr125 over the summer and landed directly on it. I've assumed that's where mine came from but it hasn't gone away in 9 months... it seeps liquid when I touch it.

hey, I have had the same thin since I was like 16, mine comes and goes though? I thought it was just the area being sensative and me falling on my ass in roller derby a lot but it's come up again recently and with more knowledge on things and stuff it feel like some kind of weird cyst? is this something serious I /have/ to get removed cause it doesn't cause me a lot of trouble, it's a little annoying but not enough to want to get surgery, is it thretening to my health? can it cause weight issues or anything weird?

I noticed one day a lump where the top of my bum is yes... In the start of the crack lol) it was painful when I pressed it and it was noticeable during a bath as it was uncomfortable to lie down one day when it had never been before. I freaked out immediately went to the hospital walk in centre and was told I should make a doctors appointment with my GP immediately. This made me sick work worry thinking I had cancer due to the urgency she spoke with. Well my doctor had a look and said its just your coccyx and it's nothing at all to worry about. It has gone away and returned I would say each month for a few days and years later exactly the same it has become an old friend lol. I don't know if it is the same as what other people are saying but it's always good to get these things checked to give yourself confirmation that everything is fine. Seems like this Kind of thing is commonplace! So I wanted to add my experience as I know finding a lump causes total hysteria and it makes me relieved to read other people have experienced this! Let's get the info out there!

I’m 14, live in Canada. I’ve had a rounded bump right at the top of the butt crack (I know..) it can be moved around a little with my finger. With it it’s hard to sit certain ways, say yoga or sit ups because it puts pressure which then causes pain. Or even sitting wrong causes it to hurt sometimes.. I’m not sure what it is if someone would help find out. I’ve had it for a long time also.

Does it come back tho?

I was in the hospital and developed a bedsore there it tunneled over in my cheek. Mine doesn't get infected I just can't sit on it. I'm in bed and need to get out so I guess I need to go to the doctors after being in the hospital for eight months.

I have a bump on my tailbone as well. I'm trying to find out what it is, but everything is going to pages about Pilonidal Cysts. And I know it's not. For me, it was passed down genetically. If yours is anything like mine, then it kinda feels like a lymph node and from time to time will start to get sensitive and more painful. The only treatment I can think of is what my dad who has it did. He went into surgery and they cut the skin on it open, and literally scraped it off of his tailbone. Unfortunately, when he does this it always ends up coming back. Plus, you end up being bedridden for 2 weeks, and unactive for like another month. Hope this helps.