Hey! Yeah I have noticed my thoughts recently have been all over the place for the last 3 weeks. The last 5-6 days have been pretty bad. I have only had 1 cycle since stopping bc in April of 2018. I’m currently on my second round of progesterone day 13 and have been cramping and have heavy bleed. Which makes 0 sense to me.

-Brea

Helper
HI Heather
Not sure if you are still posting here, just wanted to find out how you doing now?
I stopped the pill August 2018 and was ok for the first month or so I thought but in hindsight I saw the depression start, and I couldn't understand where it was coming from. And then about a month later I had a complete meltdown for about 2 weeks where I would wake up having a panic attack, that would last most of the morning and start easing in the afternoon. To cut a lont story short, I've been where you were, i'm at month 4 after this all started and I'm feeling better but not 100% yet. This month's cycle has been rough to be honest with depression and hopelessness and have had more nervousness in the morning again. The afternoons are better. Ive basically been using a lot of natural supplements, which are helping but I guess I just want to know that this wont last forever. I also have moments where I get so frustrated and wonder if I've ever going to be myself again..... of if this is now my life.... battling through each day. I was so looking forward to having children but since this ordeal, its the one thing that scares me now an no longer sure I want kids (till the good days come, then I want them again lol )

Helper
This cycle, I also felt at my worst after my period. today is cycle day 15 and i'm slowly starting feel better

Hi, my timeline is similar to yours. I stopped bc in august and was OK until i got my first period in September, then had some traumatizing panic attacks.
I get the awful nervousness when I'm trying to sleep, it keeps me awake just being restless and on edge. I have such bad vertigo and vision problems my GP has referred me to a neurologist. It's turned my life upside down and I don't know how long it will take to get better or if I ever will. I would love to hear from some of the girls posting on this forum a few years ago!!

Helper

I also had vision issues, I already ware prescription glasses so it felt like my vision got more blurry. Not sure if you taking any supplements but it helps and so does eliminating coffee and sugar. Look up a lady. By the name Jolene Brighten on google she give a good explanation of what’s happening and what sups to take. For the anxiety maybe ask at a health shop for GABA or ashwagarn root that help tremendously. Magnesium
, zinc, b6 and b12 and vit c... up to 2000mg a day to support adrenals. Also try get and pre and pro biotic combo ....

Yeah it's crazy how it changes our vision!! I hope mine goes back to normal... and thankyou I will try those!! I'm taking a multi vitamin and magnesium but will try the probiotic too... if only there was a proper cure for this:(

Helper
Time will be the cure. whats weird for me is that when I was in my 20's I never struggled like this when going off the pill. I was on it twice before in my life, the first time was 6 months and I stopped because I was developing ovarian cycsts and I period like cramping 24/7 which was terrible. the only side effect then was no period for a year till a Dr gave me something to trigger it. about 7 years later I went on to Yasmin, and stopped it a year later, don't recall any symptoms but this time.... I started a new pill called Zoely, was on it for about 1 year 5 months and was happy for the first year. I had breakthrough bleeds for about 3 months then it stopped and would get my period every second or third month and it was more like your last day of a normal period where it tappers off. Then I started noticing nervousness and I felt restless and, my heart would start racing for no reason while I'm sitting at my desk working and I used to struggle in gym with my breathing when doing HIIT or running. Anyways, my gynea told me to stop after I told him what was going on and said that given I was 35, its probably time to have kids (i'm now 36) the first month off was fine , I even ovulated and had period which was a flood and so painful I nearly went to the ER. Have had a period every month around the same time so that's good. But emotionally and mentally, I've been so unstable, and what scared me the most was that I've never experienced anything so crazy in my life. I honestly thought I was going crazy. When I found this forum I was so releaved but the process has been slow and I have days where I just get so frustrated and wonder if it will ever be normal again, as though this never happened. I look back and see that's theres been a hugged improvement. I'm not 100% and struggle with a sense of hopelessness and crying. The afternoons always seem better so I just keep telling myself to push through and keep going now matter how bad some days get.

Hey! I agree with you, time really is the main healer for all of this. I’m so sorry you’ve been dealing with these symptoms, but just remember you’re not alone. I took the pill for the first time ever from October 2017-March 2018, and in July I got hit with so many mental/physical symptoms all at once. (Isn’t it crazy that only 6 months on the pill can cause all this??) It’s so scary in the first few months, but I’m 11 months off now and feeling way better. Trust me, you will get better in due time. Right now at 11 months off the only symptoms I really have are awful chin acne and occasional racing thoughts during ovulation/during my period. I’m also naturally an overthinker so the memory of all the anxiety I had in the beginning makes me wonder things like “what if this will happen again?” but I’ve been retraining my mind to just remember that this is all hormonal. Just remind yourself this too shall pass!

Thank you for sharing. I’m going on 10 months off the end of February. If you don’t mind me asking what racing/intrusive thoughts do you still have?

-Brea

No problem. My lingering thoughts are just usually like “what if I don’t get 100% better” or “what if I’ve been like this all along and I’m gonna stay like this forever” but most of the time I have my rational moments and recognize the pattern of these thoughts during my cycle. I’m learning not to let them get to me as much as they used to.

Helper

Thanks so much for your encouragement, and for shining hope that this wont last forever :-) Glad you are feeling much better, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy to be honest. I also struggle during ovulation with the thoughts. Had 2 really good weeks in December so when it started getting bad again I got worried that I was going backwards. Been feeling better the last 2-3 days again thank the Lord. I'm also doing what you doing and retraining my mind

Helper

HI Brea, the intrusive thoughts stopped about 4 weeks ago... now its just TERRIBLE boughts of depression / hopelessness and I feel so exhausted at the thought of the future. Like do I really have to carry on. Then the "cloud" clears and I feel myself again. BUT in the beginning I was afraid to be alone with my husband (weve only been married 2 years next month)I felt trapped in my marriage. I started the pill tabout 2 weeks before we got married, and the week of our honeymoon is when I went into a state of panic about whether I had married the right person so I know that was hormones talking. so those thoughts stopped and then it became a case of "please don't leave me" was scared I was going to loose him so spent my days praying to the Lord for his protection. That still creeps up on me at times. Then I went through a stage where I felt like nothing was real, that everything was a dream, that freaked me out a lot and would set off major panic attacks. Then there was a time when the world seemed strangely shaped to me, I felt trapped and clastraphobic in it... unsafe, the only place I felt safe was at home with my hubby. everything around me triggered a panic attack and my body would just shake uncontrollably. I was afraid to sleep because I kept waking up in a panic. Even my dreams were weird.Anyways, I did a lot of research, still do and the info is all the same.... the pill depletes nutrients and amino acids and if you've already been running on too much stress , your entire endocrine system "breaks" for lack of a better word. I had a friend who knew before I did what was happening to me and why and started helping with as did my mom cause she went through this exact thing during menaupause. !!!! so the key is to give our bodies time, nourish them with good food, take supplements (magnesium , vit c, vit b5, b6, b12, omega 3, pre and probiotic combo, and maybe GABA were necessary. The literature says it helps with the racing thoughts and actual physical anxiety. I found I have to take high doses of Vit C (3000mg) per day and high omega 3 as this is anti - inflamatory which helps with your brian functioning better. Walking and cycling helped once I started getting stronger too.... (stopped training for 2 months)

No problem! I try as much as I can to put updates every once in a while because I know that seeing people’s improvements helped me when I was in the first few months off. The setbacks are common, especially at 6-7 months off. I would feel weird during ovulation, feel great during my period, and then I’d feel completely terrible about 2 days after the period. Today, even if I get a tiny bit anxious at the memory of the old intrusive thoughts, I just brush it off and distract myself. It gets easier over time. I had everything you had, afraid to be alone, the depersonalization, intrusive thoughts, etc. The depersonalization actually didn’t get to me as much because I experienced it for a few months in high school due to sleep deprivation and stress, I took vitamin b12 and it went away within weeks. Another supplement that I am beyond grateful for is St. John’s Wort, I took it from late September 2018-mid December 2018 and it helped me stay calm at home and at my classes. It really helped me with overcoming the anxiety. Don’t be afraid when you feel anxious or depressed, try to take everything as lightly as you can! This will all be a distant memory one day

Hey girls, just wondering if your periods are regular? I'm on day 33 of my cycle and no sign of it. I'm feeling so nauseous and sick. It's driving me crazy and just want it to get it out of the way. I've been having intrusive thoughts about brain damage because I was struggling to string a sentence together the other day :( can't wait for this to be over

Helper
My last cycle was 35 days. also struggled with nausea. the struggle to string sentences together is probably due to brain fog.... a good pre and pro biotic combo will help with that along with Omega 3
how long have you been off birth control?