If your mouth itches and your lips swell after eating any food, you are showing classic signs of allergy so bad that it could lead to anaphylactic shock and death. Eating avocado after you have shown signs of severe allergy to it could kill you. Eat something else. It is important to consider avocado as a cause of anaphylaxis, even in people not sensitized to latex. Avocados are a member of plants that produce latex. Many people are allergic to latex or sensitive to it, called "latex-fruit syndrome" and cannot eat avocados. My son's peanut allergy was discovered when his lips swelled to triple their normal size and I was warned he could DIE if he inadvertently ate that food again. Food allergies that cause lip swelling are DANGEROUS. Google "Anaphylaxis related to avocado ingestion: a case and review" for more information. I don't see how adding lime juice or salt to something you are allergic to could make it safe. You can become allergic to something you previously ate without problems. Past success eating it is no protection from future allergy or sensitivity developing.
The last two times I ate avocado I had extreme nausea. I won't be trying avocado again for a long time, if ever. My lips didn't swell, but my body rejected it, so I will listen to my body's opinion on the subject.

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, guys i think this has to do with what they treat them with. Avocado was one of my favorite, one day in a Mexican resto in Washington DC, i learned the hard way that i should never eat them again. i am talking ambulance and all.
some 7 years later, i still from time to time try to eat avocado just to see how it goes, but no luck.
i dont wanna give up especially when i learned how the seed can cure some diseases .

This is so me :-(

I don't know what it is but the last two times I've ate avocado I've thrown up by the way it's the only two times I've ate avocados in my life the last time they were in a salad and I try to avoid them but they were chopped up I must have swallowed one or two pieces all I know is I was sick

I have the same issue with both avacado and seedless watermelon, but found seeded watermelon does not make me sick. They are just hard to find. Have you tried the seeded watermelon?

The best way is to go to a doctor to get injections everyday of avocado and cantaloupe which will slowly introduce it to the body and eventually accept those two foods as normal

Add lime and salt ! Had the same issue

Wow, never thought there were more people like me with the avocado and watermelon issue. I grew up eating avocados that we grew in our back yards. And then one day I started gagging and throwing up after eating it. It’s been years and I never understood nor met anyone with this problem. Could it be GMO’s???

I just decided to look this up and see if this was only in my mind. I too get nauseated and feel like I want to puke after a bite of plain avocado. I had brunch and tried avocado toast...ummm, no.... had to pass it to a friend, but guacamole I’m fine and can polish off a bowl on my own with chips and salsa...yum! Lol It’s weird, but ok I’m not alone.

I'm dealing with the same thing. After doing some research, it sounds like I'm dealing with two things, and they're related to each other. 1-oral allergy syndrome, and 2- fructose malabsorption. All your doctor. Hope that helps.

omg ..same with me. Avacado and cantalope

I have the same exact problem as you. Except its with avocado and watermelon. As soon as I swallow avocado it comes right back up. The only time I was able to tolerate it was when by accident it was drenched in vinegar. So maybe that guacamole had a lot of vinegar in it. But I have had to just accept the fact that I can't eat avocados.

Yo same. What da hell dis is? Why it gotta be like dat. Just wanna enjoy the avacadoes

I found out about 20 years ago. I'd never had avocado before but heard it was good for ya....so i got 6 good slices on my Mexican lunch that day...
Hopped in the car headed back to work, popped open the container, grabbed a slice of the avocado (anxious to try it)...within SECONDS of eating that slice, I vomited all over the place!! I thought I'd gotten some spoiled avocado. But some time later when I tried it, basically the same thing. I've had it in varying amounts since then...experimenting. I seem to be able to eat it in very very very small amounts... like the small amount that's in a piece of sushi. I've concluded, based on some of my other sensitivities, that its the richness of the oil in it that upsets my stomach..except, it comes back up SOOOOO fast, I can't imagine it has time to"hit" my stomach and upset it. Even if I eat an 8 piece sushi roll with it in there, I start feeling nauseous after about 4 slices and I have to remove the rest of it from the other 4 slices. Idk if I'm allergic to watermelon and canteloupe and such. I don't like the taste of either...so idk. I'm going to try it though and see if it gives me the same sensation as avocado. Has anyone found an alternative with a similar nutritional punch?