as for people claiming that straight couples abuse the system......WHY IN THE WORLD DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT FOR MORE PEOPLE TO DO IT.....we should correct the problems of the other abusing it.....not say well we might as all do it.....

I'm not saying abusing the system is right (or that I condone it), but if you are banning gay marriage because they might abuse the system...then we need to ban all marriages.

My point too. I certainly wasn't OK'ing their abusing the system, but one of the arguments on the conservative side is that they are just trying to get benefits they are otherwise not entitled to (DESPITE the fact that many companies across the country, including where I work, have adopted the domestic partner policy and do give bene's to same sex partners--I forget exactly what the criteria is, but....) so I was merely countering that by pointing out that homosexual couples are not the only people who are willing or capable of abusing the system so preemptive discrimination of them is ridiculous.

<snip>Because he wants to marry another guy and he lives in Ohio. How stupid is that concept?

What, living in Ohio? It's not just a concept, it's a reality! :mrgreen:

as for people claiming that straight couples abuse the system......WHY IN THE WORLD DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT FOR MORE PEOPLE TO DO IT.....we should correct the problems of the other abusing it.....not say well we might as all do it..... I'm not saying abusing the system is right (or that I condone it), but if you are banning gay marriage because they might abuse the system...then we need to ban all marriages.
Sparky? Which Sparky was that? I believe that the quote attributed to "Sparky" is, in fact, the work of Ms. Jenn. Now, if Ms. Jenn is known as Sparky, never mind.

I ask you the question where do you draw the line. I guess the 12,13, 14 amendment single out blacks too right.
Those say they CAN do stuff. Just like wimmins right to vote. This would be an amendment that says a group of people CAN'T do things. That comes off creepy to me. Oh yeah? Well, what about... Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited. Okay, so much for amending the Constitution to cure (perceived) social ills. But if it weren't for the 18th article of amendment, we'd never have had.... Section 1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed. ...the 21st article of amendment. So much for legislating morality.

Last time I checked, my nickname wasn't "sparky", even though some people use that term to define my personality. :D

Last time I checked, my nickname wasn't "sparky", even though some people use that term to define my personality. :D Sorry, my bad....sometimes those "quote within a quote" baffle even the brightest among us....I thought it was msparks who had said that. :oops: