I get the same thing. I'm 71, in good health for my age. Upon urination when suffering from a UTI, pain shoots through my hands to finger tips. Severe UTI pain can start in top of shoulders and shoot down arms to finger tips. This happens to many women but the doctors just think we're all crazy, except mine. She's a woman doctor.

I have almost identical symptoms! I have very bad pain that seems like it comes from my core, usually at end urination, and usually if i wait too long to go, that goes all the way to my fingers like severe nerve pain. It feels like my fingers are being shocked with electricity and it lasts from 10 seconds to a minute. It is very, very painful! I get the same response from my doctor. I feel like this could be some kind of pain syndrome because of the disassociation between the bladder and the hands. I have had it go all the way to my feet and toes as well! I have had a hysterectomy and a cystocele repair and I also have chronic low back pain. I wear a pain patch for the back pain but it does nothing for the nerve pain in my fingers. I feel like the doctors have labeled me as noncompliant because I wouldn't go to psych to talk about my pain soi get blown off.

What does your female doctor feel is wrong? Did she actually give it a diagnosis?

I get pain in the palms of my hand when urinating only when I have an UTI. It has become my first sign of an oncoming UTI.

I have had that happen every time I've had a Uti. But I don't know why. My sisterling has the same thing happen.

Misspell check above : sister not sisterling

Both of my thumbs ache when I've waited to long to urinate, been doing this for as long as I can remember. As soon as I release myself the pain instantly goes away. My doctor never heard of such a thing either. Sometimes I don't even know I have to pee, until my thumbs start paining. 57 year old female here. Nice to know there are others because I have been called crazy for years!

I have the same sensation in my hands and down my arms if I have held on too long. The gp where I work told me we have a median nerve which goes from your back to your arms / hands and it could be this.

New Member
1 post

I can't believe other people have experienced this! I am 46 and have just had this a few times (less than a dozen) in the last two days. It originally started on my collarbones (both at the same time)... like an electric shock... then this weird aching numbness down both arms, and into my hands. Then like another zap in this straight line between my wrist and my thumb... once again on both sides of my body at exactly the same time. It doesn't seem to last longer than 30 seconds and it isn't really painful as much as it is uncomfortable. When I first got it, I did think that I was getting a UTI, so I went to the store and got some pain relief for that. I would not have related the two at all if I hadn't found out some stuff about it online. Now the UTI is gone but the mystery shocks are still happening now and then, minus the collarbone zapping. It is just plain WEIRD! 

I have exactly the same thing like an electric shock right down my arms (tingling feeling)! I'm sure it's due to urine infection (as this is the time I get this electric shock down both arms every time). The Dr looked surprised when I told him at the emergency hub in Barking! I've also had an hysterectomy (no radiotherapy - so not due to that)! Think it's due to the urine infection! I'm 63 years old!

I'm a 40 yr old male wheelchair user. No UTI. No difficulty urinating. But I also have this 'referred pain' sensation in my hands. Came on the net to look for answers but so far only questions. At least we know we're not alone now. I wonder what causes it. I will ask my GP and hope she doesn't look at me like I've unexpectedly turned into a bowl of petunias.

Mine is recent and only a couple of times with what feels like UTI pain but clear UA.

What can be done about it?

Not to diminish anyone's pain, but I couldn't be happier that I found this board. The hand pain started before I realized I have a bladder infection. I was so confused. I thought my carpel tunnel was back, but different and worse in some ways. I've had a round of antibiotics, but I still have a bladder infection and the hand pain.
I would love to know why, the mechanics, we are having referred pain while urinating. I actively avoid the bathroom, because the pain makes me cry. When I told my FNP about the hand pain all I got was a strange look, like he was trying to decide if I needed to be admitted to a kpsych ward. Honestly I was wondering the same thing. I thought I was crazy. Does anyone know the medical terminology for whatever this weirdness is? Has anyone had any luck making the pain ease up or go away?