Hi I'm 27 years old..had tonsillectomy done a month now.. I have this weird feeling on the back of my tongue like my throat isn't mine... it's like a numbing feeling with a very distant pain.. when I drink liquids I really have to force it down and it's quite uncomfortable as eating and drinking should feel natural.. will this ever go away? I feel like I've made a really big mistake having them removed.

I feel this EXACT way! I kept thinking my throat was healing weird and closing in on eachother but I finally figured out by scrubbing my tongue that it's actually super numb in the back right side of my tongue (kinda like when your foot falls asleep but starts to get it's feeling back) I keep trying to find someone who mentions this somewhere and saying the feeling comes back but I've had no such luck. I guess I'll call the doctor about it

Same thing happened to me. I just had surgery yesterday.

I just had my tonsillectomy April 26 is this really all true your still having trouble swallowing..after a month..i was told I should have pain for abt 2 weeks..

I am on day 3 woke up vomiting through my nose it was an awful taste and smell. The tip of my tounge is numb. The surgeon said it was normal because of the pressure they had to put on the tounge during the op. I'm in a lot of pain and I'm worried I won't have enough pain killers to get me through. I was trying to save them for day 5 onwards when it's supposed to get worse but I needed them to be able to eat and drink and sleep.

I had mine 3 days ago and the left side is also numb how strange

I am. 26 years old and I just had my tonsils and adnoids removed 8 days ago. The day of surgery the pain was unbearable, day 2 of recovery I was okay. Hurt some but the pain meds helped. Day 3 was when it got worse, the liquid medicine started burning my throat and I couldn't feel my tounge and the taste in my mouth made me want to gag. My doctor recommend to gargle 2 to 3 times per day with non alcoholic mouth wash. I also was given an ODT nausea medicine to help with the vomiting. A friend recommend drinking something sweet, like tea because it would over power through taste and keep you hydrated as well. I tried it and indeed it does work. The biggest thing is to understand the mouth pain and tate or smell is because your body is trying to heal a wound inside your mouth. It is going to be full of bacteria and taste or smell nasty. That is normal and according to my doctors will reside 10 to 14 days post surgery. I hope this helps some.

Did this ever resolve for you? EXACT same thing is happening to me (a month after surgery; I had 3 surgeries, however, due to bleeding and needing to be re-cauterized, so anticipating longer recovery than what is normal).

I'm On day 10 and day 3-6 were the worst, the pain was terrible. It does get better though. Unfortunately I coughed up some scabs so I was bleeding a lot but eventually it stopped. I'm a bit sore but feel way better than day 3. My left side of my tongue is numb. It's not all day it's just once in a while during the day. I'm not sure what it means, I haven't spoken to my doctor. Could it be something worth worrying about ?

Yes...The third day will be the absolute worst. I am currently on the 3rd day and I woke up and felt as if there where 2 knives being shoved in my neck.