It’s the DEPO shot. I had ONE SINGLE shot to stop my periods to recover from neck surgery. In 2 months I went from 135 to 167. I’m 5’8” and have never been this heavy. I think the manufactures of that shot should be sued. This kind of weight gain is life altering.

I started getting the depo provera shot in June, 2016. I was 15 at the time, 5'7 and weighed a healthy 130 or so. By the time school started again that same year, I got very sick. My doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me, but I was bedridden for weeks on end. Not only was I extremely sick with no explanation, I was getting more depressed, my anxiety sky-rocketed, and I was gaining weight. It is now April of 2018, and I now weigh 180 ibs. and I am STILL SICK. I recently saw a rheumatologist since this seems like an autoimmune issue, however it's too early to tell and she acted as if nothing serious is wrong with me.
I'm so tired of feeling this way. My mentality is wrecked and I've failed my junior year of high school. I can't help but feel hopeless. We are canceling my next depo shot that is coming up soon and I'm actually excited to see what will change, if anything. I've always had body dysmorphia so being overweight now is not only a horrible experience, but also eye opening. I'll update with how I feel awhile after i'm off the shot!

It’s true! Once your periods come back you will see the weight shed... don’t lose hope. I was 210 up until I went to the doctor bc I had been off the shot for 6 months period didn’t come so my doctor prescribed me Depo progesterone to induce my cycles and now 2 months later I’m 182 the weight and inches are definitely falling off since my cycles are back and I notice that my cycle are regular too! Don’t lose hope ladies pray about and don’t get on any more birth control it’s not natural and it messes our bodies up

I hope so I also was on it for 2 shots (6 months) and gained 20lbs... stopped in November and it’s now almost May and still no period... let’s hope this extra weight disappears

If she is a nurse, I am a potato.

I have been on the Depo shot for 3 years since after giving birth to my daughter. I was really sick while pregnant and lost a lot of weight during my pregnancy which i weighed only 110lb. After giving birth I weighed about 140-145. The first 3-6months after my first depo shot I was eating like crazy due to the fact that I could finally enjoy food again. But after that time period I calmed down, but still wasn’t dieting. In the first 2 years i gained about 45lb, last summer was the heaviest i had ever been in my life. I weighed almost 200lb (I was 190) so I started dieting & exercising and weight fell off pretty fast but I think I lost muscle because I didnt look or feel any skinnier. So in December 2017 I started dieting and exercising again lifting weights 4-5 days a week. Right now it is May 2018 and I have been working my butt off to try to get this weight down but in 6months I have barely lost 5-6lb. I am doing everything right to be losing at least 3-5lb a month so WTF. I take an intense yoga/pilates/aerobics class, I do strength training, I do HIIT twice a week and sometimes cardio kickboxing, all while earing about 1300-1500cal daily. I have NOT seen any changes on the scale and the last 3months i have plateaued and literally can not get lower than 163lb. My goal weight is 150lb. It is so frustrating so I have to consider the fact that maybe depo is still causing me to gain weight which is why the scale never goes down.

I have just got off the Depo shot (my last shot was February and the last day of my 2 week window to renew the shot was last week). I switched to the Nexplanon arm insert which uses the same hormone but is 3x less concentrated than the shot. So its a waiting game to see any changes like spotting or my period returning and lets see if I can start losing weight again.

Hi yes i have had blood tests that have revealed calcium deficiency. I am on calcium supplements (never had any problems with this before depo) i have been off the depo just over a month will never go back on it.

Did you loose the weight when you got off I’m on it now I gained tons of weight that stretch marks started to develop bad and never had any

Getting the depo shot has by far been the worst mistake I’ve ever made. I got one injection right before I went to college and gained roughly 40pounds. Mood swings were horrible, I bled for about two months straight and swore I’d never get another injection again. It’s been almost a year since the one shot and I’ll go two weeks without bleeding then have my period for about a month and a half+ at a time. The depo shot has ruined my life and out of every bad decision I’ve ever made, getting this injection would be the one thing I would go back and change if I could. I used to be a decent size and happy with myself and because of what this shot did to my body, I no longer feel attractive or good about myself. Even a boy I started talking to (not anymore) while I was at school saw an old picture of me and told me I needed to go back down to my old size (and he wasn’t trying to joke with me, he was serious). I never changed my eating habits and I’ve always been an active person with indoor drumline and marching band. (It’s a lot more physically exerting than you’d think, especially in college). If anyone has had a similar situation to mine or knows how to kick off this unwanted weight pleaseeeee let me know... I just want my body back :(

I was on the Depo shot for about 4 years and gained around 30 lbs. my last injection was in December and now (July) I have dropped 20lbs without changing diet or excersise.

i been the depo shot for 12 years and I didn't gain any weight at first until I turned 37 I was weighing in at 180 now I am 203 pounds I cant loose my weight either I walk so much its sad it don't matter what I do im still not loosing I been off the shot for 15 months now and my peroids are horrible sometimes I have 2 in one month and sometimes I come on a whole seven or nine days earlier I don't know what else to do

Hello, I am posting on a few of the forums I came across when I was dealing with the same problem of gaining weight on the depo shot. There are so many women on here who are reading these posts and still feel hopeless. I wanted to actually post a success story, because I would be reading these threads crying thinking that my body was ruined. I received the Depo shot once in Feb, 2018, when I was 32, gained over 20 pounds, with the height of my weight at 144 (coming from 123/124 lbs at 5 6"). For over a year, I didn't know what to do, thought I was eating right and working out and nothing was budging on the scale. I thought that once the shot left my system, my metabolism would bounce back, but it didn't. I thought water pills and diet pills would help kick start my weight loss, but they didn't either. After being fed up, I started counting calories (1200 a day for my height and weight) and have FINALLY lost 9 pounds in 3-4 months (from 141.2 to 132.2). It wasn't until I started this, that I finally started seeing the scale go down. Don't feel helpless until you try this. Working out is always good (i have a trainer to help), but it can't counter a high calorie intake and won't work if you want to actually lose the weight fast. For instance, if you burn 300 calories in a workout, you can only add 150 calories back into your daily diet plan if you want to lose the weight. That's not a ton and you can easily eat that with even a healthy snack and then never see results. You either need to workout and count calories or just count calories. I wish I would have been more disciplined and started counting calories earlier. Don't give up!

I used depo for 9 month 3 shots and gained 6 pounds. I ate the same as I did prior. I’m now off the depo shot for 6 months and have gone back down to my original weight (whilst probably eating more!) I feel my clothes are now loose and thought I was getting ill until I read about weight loss after depo so thanks!

Was on Depo for 13 years and went from 155lbs to 218lbs. Stopped in May of 2018 and period returned that November 2018. Since then, I've lost 30lbs. Like another woman posted, be sure to up your Vitamin D. Mine was really really bad.

I am in the same boat. I went from 110 to 155lbs. I have stoped the depo shot hoping I will loose the weight I gained on the depo shot. I am not happy with the weight gain. Did you loose any weight once you stoped and if so how long did it take to start loosing the weight