I've been on adderal for 1 1/2 years. The biggest adjustment was the mouth/jaw clenching and the way it made my teeth feel as if I needed to brush all the time. Is this due to enamel wearing down caused by the meds. I've never had mouth sores until the past 2 days and it's so painful I can't eat. White bumps and patches or sores (best way to describe it). I thought maybe it was too much acid from juice or fruit. Then I realized I hadn't taken probiotic in a few weeks so it could be overgrowth of candida/bacteria. So I'm eating anti-fungal foods and going to get a probio today. I also followed you tube video for cleaning tongue 1. Coconut oil pulling (rinse)
2. Baking soda -which has been wonderful and took away many of the sores and white tongue 3. Tongue scrapping (order of Amazon) 4. Hydrogen peroxide rinse (this burned like heck) 5. Brushing the tongue with baking soda 6. Apple cider vinegar (not reg vinegar as that can make acid or fungus worse) 7. Sesame seeds (chew on them) 8. Niacin flushing 9. Salt water rinse (ouch this seems like it would aggregate it) 10. Green tea (antioxidant) 11. Turmeric, 12. Essential oils such as Myrhh, avocado oil, oregano oil, frankensince, Clove oil, lavender, peppermint 13. Omega 3 14. Eliminate sugar 14. Basil or Basil essential oil 15. Kale smoothie w/ blueberries, black raspberry powder, ginger, flax and chia seeds (I mix it in my Shakeology) 16. Aloe Vera juice
I hope this helps someone. I'm still in pain, but it's only been 1 day since I tried some of these home remedies and supplements

Wow I'm new to adderal and I have developed all kinds of cuts under my tongue. I have taken zoverax for herpes and on not sure if it's helping . They r not as bad but these things hurt. Even water, medicine. Can't live with it or without it.

Tincture of benzoin relieves pain. So does German Chamomile essential oil

Do to personal experience and a bit of research I've found for me this was caused by gritting my teeth during the day. Taking adderall while giving me energy and a focus potential left me with a few ticks, one was not exactly grinding my teeth, but jest tightly gritting my teeth. During the night a similar pattern may form unknowingly where you may end up biting your tongue and waking up with a sore mouth with sores on your tongue from where you bit down on it.

A suggestion is to take either a lower dose of adderall, or maybe take some melatonin before bed as it can stabilize the dopamine output.

I have been on Adderall for abot 10 yrs off and on for my narcolepsy. Frequent mouth irritations, cold sores and swelled taste buds are a commen side effect of the medication. I found that the weed stinging nettle made into a tea can almost eradicate the mouth problems. I live in Southern Utah, it's kind of a local remedy for mouth sores but it does really work and it's fairly cheap. Ask you doctor if it is cool with them before you self medicate though.

I can't believe how many other people are having this problem, I thought there was something really wrong with me. Although, compared to everyone else's stories- my sores are concentrated on the middle of my tongue, closer to the back. I thought it was due to my late night cereal habits.. Then I made the connection that it only happens on the occasions that I take more of my adderall than I should. I even took a picture to try to get some online advice!

I experience all of the same problems. In trying to figure out what was causing it my Dr thought that my B-12 levels were low. Not the case. He then informed me that the regular Adderall was a salt so I switched to the XR. The irritation was still happening but much less frequent. Some advice when the sores are there don't even think about hot wings OMG.

Hey! I know this was a long time ago, but I just found this post because I couldn't remember the name of what you're supposed to take to help get rid of them (i have TWO right on the damn SIDE of my tongue and it's awful), but I found it and it's MAGNESIUM! (me and my dad have taken it before and it's helped!) you can just grab the daily vitamin type that's at like wallgreens or something and just take the daily recommended dose when you get the sores :)

Honestly it's just so irritating that this is a COMMON symptom for people who take adderall everyday and I have no idea why so many health care professionals are unaware of it or how to fix it.

(i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the magnesium stimulating prostaglandin release which then helps the sores heal faster)

I started a multivitamin around 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I added a b complex. How long did it take for yours to get better? Also I recently noticed burning in my nose. Go figure that I'm getting white bumps there too. I've been on and off adderall for 6 months. Recently had my dose increased which has made it worse. The doctor and two different dentists have treated for thrush. It's not that.

I have the exact same problem. My doctor said it is absolutely related to the Adderall. Also about a year ago one of my glands in my mouth, under my tongue swelled up and I had to get a steroid shot to get it to go down. I can only take a half dose because of these issues, which really doesn’t fully help the ADD.

Thank you so much for this information! I’m literally going to buy some magnesium right now because i’m so tired of my mouth and tongue hurting.

Ouch! Smoking methamphetamine (adderall is the legal clean version) does cause painful mouth sores to develop, as you've noticed yourself, although they can form in many other ways. How mouth sores are formed by meth use may include the following possible culprits:
Cottonmouth: Stimulants, including methamphetamine, deplete salivary secretions and raise body temperature to a much higher level than normal. Based on these effects, long-term use of stimulants leads to dehydration, which worsens dry mouth. Without saliva to protect the mouth, teeth, and gums by acting as a neutralizing agent against acidic substances, such as some of the ingredients found in meth, an extended state of dry mouth can cause sores or ulcers to form in the mouth. Dry mouth also promotes tooth decay.
Tissue damage: Constriction of blood vessels in the mouth harms tissues initially, but after recurrent episodes, can cause tissues to die.
Skinned raw: Continuous friction between the tongue and the inside of the mouth while on meth can cause skin to become raw and irrita

This is so f*****g true for me I'm mad that someone's doctor said it's not because of adderall

You can feel the eefects of Adderal IR almost immediately (within 15-30 minutes) and it seems to last several hours ... Adderal XR releases small amounts into your system throughout the day. I take 30mg IR and 20mg XR in the morning, and then another 20mg XR in the afternoon. I get the white spots on tongue also, they are painful and annoying, I think it's a combination of dehydration and scraping your tongue on teeth.

New Member
I don't chew in the sides if my mouth or tongue, but the bumps I get in my tongue are so painfully I don't want to eat.