For me, the biggest thing, is to change the way people think. There is still work to do in this area, despite how far we may have come in the past 50 years. I'm a strong believer in changing people first - people will still discriminate if its in their hearts or minds to do so, no matter how many laws we have in place designed to prevent discrimination. Maybe I'm naive, but I still think people can be changed.
I agree. Quotas and such are not the answer. Once people come to an "aha" moment and realize there are discrepencies, I think we will move closer to equality.

dis crim i nate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skrm-nt) v. dis crim i nat ed, dis crim i nat ing, dis crim i nates v. intr. To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available. To make sensible decisions; judge wisely. To make distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit; show preference or prejudice: was accused of discriminating against women; discriminated in favor of his cronies. I'm a strong believer in changing people first - people will still discriminate if its in their hearts or minds to do so, no matter how many laws we have in place designed to prevent discrimination. People discriminate every day. What clothes to wear that morning. Who to hire. How to work with on a group project. Who to sit next to on the train into work. What route to drive into the office. What to have for lunch. What wine to drink with dinner. What show to watch on TV. What I'm going to do on my next run or workout. What web site to visit on the Net. What book to read before bed time. Should I spend more time at the office reading _[removed]_ or actually doing work. Many of you in this discussion are trying to equate sex as the one single thing that is influencing supposed pay disparities. When in fact it is numerous things, many of which one cannot quantify. I still say the family/children issue (and how that relates to potential/real workplace advancement) is a far bigger issue then some of you care to admit.

dis crim i nate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skrm-nt) v. dis crim i nat ed, dis crim i nat ing, dis crim i nates v. intr. To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available. To make sensible decisions; judge wisely. To make distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit; show preference or prejudice: was accused of discriminating against women; discriminated in favor of his cronies.

People discriminate every day. What clothes to wear that morning. Who to hire. How to work with on a group project. Who to sit next to on the train into work. What route to drive into the office. What to have for lunch. What wine to drink with dinner. What show to watch on TV. What I'm going to do on my next run or workout. What web site to visit on the Net. What book to read before bed time. Should I spend more time at the office reading RF.com or actually doing work. Many of you in this discussion are trying to equate sex as the one single thing that is influencing supposed pay disparities. When in fact it is numerous things, many of which one cannot quantify. I still say the family/children issue (and how that relates to potential/real workplace advancement) is a far bigger issue then some of you care to admit. Show me the data!

here is what i think:

when u have job/college/promotion concerns blank out all the names, addresses, race, sex ANYTHING that would indicate minority status (even age). simply go by the most qualified, most experienced, most motivated (less days missed, less amount of discipline, most amount of achievement at current job) and then pick ur candidate off of these things.....

i know why i dont think these things will EVER be done.....things would be more fair across the board (in my opinion) and then people could not claim prejudicial treatment as easily....

Kel

here is what i think: when u have job/college/promotion concerns blank out all the names, addresses, race, sex ANYTHING that would indicate minority status (even age). simply go by the most qualified, most experienced, most motivated (less days missed, less amount of discipline, most amount of achievement at current job) and then pick ur candidate off of these things..... i know why i dont think these things will EVER be done.....things would be more fair across the board (in my opinion) and then people could not claim prejudicial treatment as easily.... Kel
and how do you propose to conduct interviews?

why cant they be done just like instant messenger; back and forth.

how much should PERSONALITY play (unless in sales or something related) in the hiring process? or looks? or a lack thereof?

let's just go on quals, exp, all that other stuff that IS importnat.

why not have a computer that simulates 1 voice for everyone and they can speak thru that, EVERYONE sounds the same.

Kel

why cant they be done just like instant messenger; back and forth. how much should PERSONALITY play (unless in sales or something related) in the hiring process?
I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but you can't possibly be in the workforce if you think personality has nothing to do with how someone would fit in a job, or on a team.

But, I thought we couldn't use personality (or other non-quantifiable traits) to determine salary/workplace advancement?