Hi, my mother had an accident, and part of her jaw had to be removed. She needs a jaw replacement, and I would like to hear some experiences from people who experienced it. Did you have a successful recovery?

Hello, I was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, and they removed right side of my jaw. I needed a jaw replacement as soon as possible, so they took a bone tissue from my lower leg, and used it to rebuild my jaw. Jaw replacement is not a common procedure, but there are more ways to do it, depending on what you need. I still have a scar on my face, but it doesn’t matter. The important thing is that I recovered, and I don’t feel pain any more. Of course, it will never be the same as it was before, but it doesn’t matter as long as I’m ok. It wasn’t easy in the beginning to use a new jaw, so I had to go to a physical therapy. I had a successful jaw replacement recovery, and I hope your mother will have it too.

I am new but have the same thing. Can you contact me or me you. I am scared to death and cannot go on.

My wife and I are looking for people who have had their jaw replaced in order to weigh the pros and cons. She needs one. We are interested in which hospitals and doctors there has been positive (and negative) experiences with.

I HAD A JAW REPLACEMENT IN 2004, DUE TO CANCER. THEY REPLACED IT FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE CHIN TO JUST BELOW THE LEFT EAR. TITANIUM WAS USED. LIKE MOST PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD THE PROCEDURE IT TAKES A WHILE TO GET USED TO. BUT IN THE CASE OF CANCER YOU CONSIDER THE ALTERNATIVE. IT FEELS LIKE I HAVE A COTTON GOLF BALL IN THE SIDE OF MY MOUTH. YOU DO GET USED TO THIS. IN MY CASE THE NERVES WERE NOT ABLE TO BE SAVED, SO THE LEFT SIDE IF MY FACE AND NECK ARE NUMB.. I HAVE NOT LOST ANY WEIGHT. BUT I AM LIMITED ON THE THINGS I CAN EAT. I HAVE A UPPER PLATE (TEETH), BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO HANDLE A LOWER PLATE. MY APPEARANCE IS A LOT BETTER THEN I THOUGH IT WOULD BE. IN MY CASE I DID NOT HAVE A CHOICE, IT WAS THE OPERATION OR....

I had a lower jaw replacement in 1995. I seriously do not know what to do now because the plate is now exposed. I am really worried if there is anything that can be done. Kindly advise.

It seems like we had the same surgery. Mine was one year ago and I am now having some grinding sound in my left jaw. Not sure what the doctor will do.