I'm living in the Philippines and my wife is having her surgery done at a very nice, new hospital.  Estimated cost is about $2,500 including two days in the hospital.    

I had a couple of gall bladder attacks in August of 2012; as it is common, I thought it was indigestion at first. In September, during vacations in Colombia, South America, (where the medical training still comes from long lines of scholars, and whose doctors specialize and train in Europe), I had an ultrasound done to find out that I had stones and needed non-urgent surgery down the line.

After returning to the US, I watched my diet for a while and scheduled a trip down there to have the surgery done at the SOMER (Sociedad Medica de Rionegro) hospital.

One week after the surgery I was back in the US and back at work.

The treatment was many times better than any in the states, had meetings with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, staff, was given top treatment, warm and kind attention by everyone, a follow-up checkup by the surgeon and the removal of my stitches a week after surgery before flying back.

They filled-out my FMLA forms before I flew there and filled-out my return to work authorization before I came back.

The costs were:

Full abdominal ultrasound plus complete blood work, about $90

Surgeon + anesthesiologist + hospital (outpatient, although I had to stay for about 4 or 5 hours until I was no longer dizzy and was able to walk unaided), about $900

That's it!, no charges for checkups even if I went a couple of times for them to look at the incisions again to be sure they were of before flying.

I also took a flight with a discount airline which cost me $350.

First-world care and medical treatment, in an upcoming country for a fraction of the cost. (and spent a week in the tropics)

My wife and I also had our LASIK done there in September, under much more sterile and strict conditions compared to the US (where patients are left with their street clothes and shoes!!), and cost us $750 total for both eyes for each of us. (Microkeratome techniques were invented in Colombia, by the way)

Although this may be too late for you, here is a website that determines the costs for different services according to zip codes.  Hope this helps someone.

LA

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

How do you go about getting it done there?

I was just now looking through the Anthem website [I'm insured] and my eyes fixated directly on a VERY large number...

That exact number, to be precise, was $55,817.43.

Jesus. Christ. I live in Richmond, VA [and got the procedure done in Richmond, VA] and that was one of the costs I saw on my overview. I actually had it done, the gallbladder removal, over a year ago, so prices may have changed but.. that's an extremely hefty price tag.

I remember I ended up paying about $500 and some change out of pocket [for one of the bills] so it was nowhere near as expensive as a fifty five THOUSAND dollar bill.. but for me it was hefty so I can only imagine what it's like for people without insurance.

Good luck with the extortion and ripoff......

In 2012 I had keyhole surgery (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy) to remove my gallbladder and a 5 night hospital stay. The care and treatment were first class in Ninewells Hospital, Dundee Scotland. We do not have medical insurance in Scotland and I didn't have to pay a penny as it was all free, even my meals and I was reimbursed for my travel costs to and from the hospital. Everyone in Scotland gets free medical treatment, it's just part of our way of life here. If we can do it why can't it be like that in a rich country like America?

How did the apple juice work for you??

A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.