Ah see my surgeon held my foot in the position it 'should' be in and it barely moves. However, when I let my foot fall into the position it has become (flattened) it rocks about very easily. It does this when I walk also. It's not painful. Achey, and yes unpleasant.
Are your orthotics rigid? Different bits of research I've read had said that the rigidity helps the pain, but hasn't proved to help the arthritic joints. Some conflicting research shows this may in fact make it worse long term, as the 'bounce' has gone. I've tried looking for sort of 'springy' ones, but can't find anything. Have to speak to the professionals I suppose.

I have strains because I tense the outer edge of my left foot (the one I hurt) to keep my arch up - so orthotics should help.

I had been doing a lot of new exercise, including miles-long walks, dancing etc. I didn't have the strength to do it and my feet and legs were very weak and spasming - but I was having so much fun I didn't care.

I stood up into the shower (it has a high step) and went down awkwardly on my big toe. I sort of fell and twisted. I heard a loud snap, and my foot was instantly rolled in. I got out the shower and had a bruise on top and bottom of lisfranc joint and couldn't walk. X-rays showed nothing and I wasn't casted or anything.

I told this to the surgeon but he said the lisfranc ligament is very strong and I wouldn't have been able to tear it in this way.

However, there seems to be plenty of people on this website who have simply tripped on a step etc and have done exactly what I did and worse - broken bones! So doesn't seem far fetched.

It must be lisfranc ligament due to - snapping, flat footedness, bruise top/bottom arch, inability to bear weight and diastasis. Can't be anything else!

I'm not adverse to the idea of surgery, but I like to treat things as conservatively as possible.
Have you had problems further up your chain? My right calf is a little smaller/weaker, with my knee tracking in and hip down due to the odd alignment. I'm sure physio/orthotic can help a great deal, but my foot slightly sticks out now - a little wider. Did you find this?

Yes, I do have problems, foot to knee to hip...I would get things checked now. The orthotics can reduce worsening of the arthritis. I think if I were you I would seek a second opinion maybe from Fortius Clinic - Mr Jones. Expensive but worth it. If you have photos of your foot when injured and reports from Drs etc - put a file together. You need to know if surgery now may prevent problems later. Its so hard to comment via email. You need a very good surgeon to check through everything with you. Yes lots of people do lisfranc falling from a small height etc...look on the lisfranc club on facebook, you'll see how many 2,500 members now and lots with stories like ours. If you want treatment to be as spot on as possible to prevent problems later...you will need to find the right surgeon. They all have slightly different opinions and approaches so go with one that feels right. Fusion is a massive intervention. It's best to know thats the right thing to do.

That's why I'm hopeful for the clinic I'm seeing soon, it'll be bones/physio/orthotics. Fortius clinic looks good, but a little far out to travel.

Yes, that's why I'm confused. All specialists, with different ideas. I understand fusion is a salvage procedure.

I already have chondromalacia pattale in the left knee - eek! I hope research hurries up and has better things to offer! I want me some stem cells!!

...yes, if the diagnosis or treatment approach does not feel right for you or you feel missed in some way, keep asking questions or getting opinions. MRI and CT will be very clear in showing what's going on. Sometimes we have to accept that some injuries or illnesses don't get properly resolved and there's grief in that, certainly for me. It is worth paying for the right opinion. I travelled 3 hours to go to Fortius and it was worth it for the opinion. Best of luck

Ok, thanks very much. You've been very helpful! Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope you have a good outcome.

Lovely talking to you - best wishes x

Hi Katie,

Feel free to stay in touch with me about your journey and I will do the same.

I hope you find resolution too or at least find a way to love your foot and have a great life on it.

Best wishes,

Jo x

Excellent advice and description of situations. Fusion fusion fusion

We are in San Antonio and looking for a podiatrist/ortho surgeon for lisfranc. Would you mind telling me your surgeon's name. I'm desperate to find the right doctor for my husband. Many thanks!

I had lisfranc fusion march 27th. I had significant arthritis and fractures. It took at least 3 weeks plus to do more than a quick lunch after doctors appointment. Still swelling and pain had to elevate in restaurant. Be very understanding and allow the patient to make the calls! Each week there was progress but it wasn't easy. I feel the depression came much later. I'm always afraid maybe I'm doing too much! I go back the 15th of June to see where I am, at that point! Now that I'm walking in a boot I notice pain at hardware site. I'm sure this is temporary and we must think positive and know this is just going to get better over time. The biggest thing I can say, is it was to the point I couldn't deal with the pain and surgery was my only answer! I can live with this knowing i tried to fix the problem. The good thing is it can't be any worse than before.... I suffered for so long!!! Any questions feel free!!! And I'm so sorry u have to go through this!

I'm so happy to read this. I had fusion surgery last week and most of the stories on the web are totally depressing. I hope to become a recreational trail runner again next year.

Hi, I had fusion surgery (as a result of a lisfranc dislocation-fracture) six years ago now, and it was a great outcome. A long recovery as expected, but by 18 months post surgery I was walking pretty well - no limp and pain free. Just took a while to learn how to walk on it once it was fused as it feels quite different - as you probably know already. A treadmill helped a lot with muscle memory. I do a lot of hiking and have had no problems or any pain worth noting. All the best with your recovery from the fusion surgery - just wanted to give a positive fusion story :) Hope you are running the trails before too long!

I had a fusion after a lisfranc injury and fracture. I also leave my house for doctor appointments, but nothing else. My doctor specifically asked me not to leave my house except for doctor appointments for the first month. You are thoughtful to be wanting to take your sister on an outing. I would be happy if someone were nice enough to invite me to lunch or a movie, but sadly I also would decline. Even now, six weeks after surgery, my balance on one foot with crutches is poor, the scooter doesn't fit easily into a car or public areas, and don't even mention stairs--terrifying. I almost fell a few times at home and it frightened me. Last thing I need is another fracture. Your sister may still be experiencing pain with movement. Bathing and dressing for outings is exhausting with only one foot. Perhaps offer to help your sister with some ongoing task at home like laundry. Simple things are really hard to get done, and they are tiring with one foot supporting all the weight. You could offer a visit and prepared meal, or watch a rented movie with her at home. She's doing the smart thing to stay home.

I had my surgery 9 months ago. I’m on my feet a lot and pain free. I had a few twinges of pain a couple weeks ago and my ortho made the comment that all looked fine but he expected to eventually see me back in his office. It was negative and made me mad. Is there some future problem with lisfranc fusion surgery that I don’t know about? I didn’t think anything was supposed to come loose? Any ideas?

I was 23 years old playing division 1 football. Suffered a lisfranc injury agile getting tracked by a 300 lb defensive end. My surgeon was convinced I would play again and used the button right rope method. I followed the plans to a t. I never got better, only worse. I went to a new surgeon. He told me he had never seen anyone play football again after a lisfranc injury. He is the foot and ankle specialist for an NFL team. 4 years later, 8 weeks ago he fused the first three metatarsal joints because the arthritis and degeneration had gotten so bad. My only goal is to not be in pain when I walk any more. That's all I can ask for. I went from an NFL prospect to barely being able to jog. I'm half way done with being in a boot and am nervous to weight bare soon.