I think I have you all beat! It will soon be 45 years since I had my encounter with GBS. At that time it was virtually unheard of and very rare. By the time my local hospital sent me to Memphis I was totally paralized and could not even talk. I had a trach to keep me breathing and was placed in an iron lung. My recovery was long and very labored. GBS hit me when I was 17 years old and I am 62 today. I went on to receive a GED and have 3 beautiful children. I went to college when my children were older. I continue to have issues (bladder control) but I still go to work every day as a school administrator. Please pray for me that I can continue to be fruitful!

I've been reading about GBS because my nephew just diagnosed. I am horrified and hopeful at the same time after reading. My heart is breaking cuz he's in Cali and Im in Chicago. I havnt stopped crying cuz he just got his dream job and dream girl and now this????WTF Why do such horrible things happen to good people? For the first time in a long time, I got down on my knees and prayed. With tears rolling down my face, my 8 year old son consoling me, I begged God to make him well. I will pray for all of you and hope that you all continue to recover from this horrible disease. God Bless you all! 

I also suffer from Guillian Barree syndrom i also got it in November 2006 i was working full time going to school full time and a single mom going thru a divorce luckily i was staying with my mom. I was 36 years old when I got it. I had worked the night before was on the grave yard shift went home slept a while got up started doing my home work noticed feeling really tired. Not feeling very well I called my mom told her I was going to lay down. Hung up the phone layed down like within 5 minutes my tounge and face went numb and immidiately lost all my taste buds. I called my mom was scared to look in mirror thought I had a stroke at first. she told me go look so I finally did my face looked ok butt she told me to come where she was so she could take me to hospital. She took me to hospital they said nothing was wrong sent me home. Later that night I have shooting pains just shoot thru my body my body immidiately started burning it was on fire. Like I had the worse sun burn in the world. it hurt so bad. And to top it off I was paralyzed and went thru so much crazy stuff since. She called ambulance . It took them 4 months to diagnose me due to the fact I had no insurance. I had to deal on my own. In and out of hospital.I was also in a wheel chair four years i still experience pain and nueropathy something i live with daily just recently got taste buds back. I also threw up every day all day for years i believe due the aall the fluid in my lungs. I have so much to say i can not go on. If you need stories I got some... I am walking now I can't run or anything but I do good. I have bad days and really bad days. my bad days are my good days and i make the most of it. I can honestly say if it wasn't for god I would not be here and would not be able to make it thru day by day.

I too was recently diagnosed with Gillian Barre Syndrome, I am unable to move my legs from the abdomen down, I was never completely paralyzed though, your story almost brought tears to my eyes, my younger brother also was diagnosed with Gillian Barre when he was 9 and he is 16 now. It has been almost 6 months and I have not recovered as quickly as I would hope, I am 25 and the mother of two. It has proven to be quite challenging. My brother was completely paralyzed like you were and received the same treatment and recovered in a total of 3 years and still has a bit of facial paralysis. I was given immuno-globulin treatment and it stopped the symptoms but I fear I will not recover completely. I am presently in a wheel chair, you are blessed in the fact that you are still here and it was nice to hear that I am not the only one. Just thought I would say Hello, it can get lonely in a way that no one can really experience what you are going through, good luck and much love.
Tasha

Hello... i have a question.. my sister at age 58 yr got gb syndrome... about 4 yrs ago.. she is having problems with flu like symtoms all the time.. nausea, diarreha, fatigue, is this normal for people who have suffered from this syndrome...  It amazes me that many people have not heard of this gb syndrome.. not only has my sister had this but my 7 yr old got this after his flu shot as well.. luckily it was caught early and he recovered quickly.. he got up one morning and couldnt stand on his feet at all... the drs at the er where we live said "he is faking it" and sent us home... later that day i took him back to er and they sent him to madera childrens hosp... 

So my mother was the first person in Alabama to live through the disease in 1975. It changed our lives forever! She had received a Flu vaccine just a few days before the onset of symptoms. I was only 5 and remember it very vividly! I had to be adopted by grandparents because the doctors did not believe she would make it! She was completely paralyzed! I have been told to never take a flu shot because of a possibility of the link between this disease and them not knowing if it could be hereditary or not. She made a complete recovery after almost a year of physical therapy; Bless her heart I can remember us walking a half a block and being so excited that she had done it successfully! She had to learn to Walk, Talk, use the restroom, EVERYTHING all over again! I am so blessed that I did not lose my mother! She still to this day has back pain and muscle spasms. There is so little known about this disease, does anyone know of any hereditary issues or did any of you receive the FLU vaccination??? Just a lot of unanswered questions about this disease that seem to elude everyone even in the medical profession….

My mom has it please contact me if you can I'm scared for her and confused 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I think I have GB what test can prove it ? I am miserable and can hardly get around. My blood test are fine but I have numbness in hands and feed.

Just curious I got sick throwing up out of the blue one day and ever since I have gone down hill my legs to my feet are in severe pain and go completely numb and tingly and it has now moved up my body to my arms doctors are telling me they can't figure it out does this sound like gbs