just to add to my above post.......all was going well since i posted, apart from the vile taste of food and most drinks, it was slowly improving but i was beginning to get mucus feeling in my throat and discomfort again. A trip to the doctors has confirmed infection in my throat.......so its penicillin and another episode in this nightmare.
I really wasn't aware of how horrific thiss op can be, everyone ive spoken to since the op has grimaced at the mention of a tonsillectomy. I thought it was a straight forward op most kids had and got over quickly. I wasn't aware of the difference it had regarding age........this has been the worst thing to happen to me physically. I hope all the other posters are recovering well and send on my best wishes.

J

I am 20 years old and had a tonsillectomy on 12/26/08 it is now exactly 2 weeks later and the only thing that hurts is to yawn and I am completely off of my pain meds, only taking a few Tylenol if any pain starts up. I went in hearing all the horror stories but honestly as long as you DRINK a ton of fluids you will be fine. I stayed the night in the hospital the first night and that helped tremendously. The night I was released I went back to the ER because I was having severe stomach pains but they said it was from any blood going into my my stomach. I had mono when I was in high school and this was a much easier experience then that. Also, my grandpa is a doctor and though the directions said take every 4 hours he told me it was safe to take every 3 and a half which really kept me on top of the pain. I have lost 10 pounds from not eating much besides pudding for a week but now I am eating regularly, i just don't have much of an appetite. I hope this helps! Just remember...1. DRINK DRINK DRINK, i found that the first few days cold things helped but after that warmer things felt better when the scabs came off. 2. STAY ON TOP OF YOUR PAIN MEDS

hi im 19 and this done on 5/1/09 so im on day 9 of recovery! after reading up on this website, i nearly pulled out, but then i thought maybe the pain won't be as bad as im 19.. i was wrong! my surgeon insisted i had my tonsils out because they were so big, i didn't realize how big they were until he informed me of the size of the average tonsil, from then i new the pain would be worse. i had to stay in the hospital on the day of the operation and i had to drink an hour after, have ice cream 2 hours after and then toast 3 hours after and i managed it. on days 1 and 2 i thought i was one of those lucky people who weren't going to experience too much pain.. i was wrong again! days 3 and 4 i experienced a bit more pain as usual so i took the extra pain killers of dicloflex that i was given. day 5 was possibly the worst pain i have ever experienced in my life,i was woken up at 4.30 am by horrendous pain, which can only be described as 100's of razor blades stuck in my throat moving. i bled on at 5 am, so my mother rang the hospital and they told me how to stop it, as it stopped within 20 minutes there was no need for me to go to the hospital. i bled once again on day 6 and 7 but lightly so once again there was no need to go to the hospital. i had the same feeling on day 6, 7 of razor blades. i was too scared to sleep on day 7, scared of waking up to the pain once again, so i stayed up all night. on day 8 it eased slightly, bt still very painful and the scabs started to come off. on day 7, 8 and 9 i bled slightly and kept noticing bloodclots and would cough them up.. has any one experienced this?
im now on day 9 and have to say i regret having this done very much! i feel that my surgeon didn't tell me anything or prepare for what i and others have been through. if i had known i would not have had the operation.
today is the most well ive felt, (but saying that i mean most well out of the 9 days, still in a lot of discomfort and pain) however my throat is still very dry and feel tight although im literally drinking every 30 seconds! i feel like there must be something wrong if my throat never feels moist?!

i also had my throat cut at the top, around the uvulva so it kills to drink now as the scab comes off!

i have lost 6 pounds, but to be honest i dont care about the wieght loss, i dont honestly understand how some people are saying the weight loss makes up for the pain!
i have literally spent the last 9 days in bed! yesterday i was up and about for an hour but then suddenly i felt like i was goin to faint! i just feel like im never goin to better! i mean its day 9 and im still in so much pain. i was due to go back to university this friday, the 16th, but now i'm not goin back for another week!

i pray every night that i will feel better tomorrow.. but right now i feel its never going to happen! the most ive slept in one go is 4 hours and when i do i wake uop in the worst pain.. how long does it take to get back to normal? because my doctor said two weeks but there is no chance!!!

i had mine taken last april 7, 2009. it was a wonderful experience.

the pain was minimal, for reasons that: i stayed in the hospital for 5 days, i asked my ENT to give me hi-dosage of pain killers, and lastly, i never stopped eating icecream after the operation.

my advise is, u should stay in the hospital as long as your body allows you, it will save you from dehydration because you are well hydrated thru your IV, your painkillers are monitored round the clock thru IV still, u dont have to swallow it, all you have to take is more ice cream and ice chips to keep you hydrated...

now, im back to normal. no traces of pain. no oral thrushes.

Hey all... I have a GREAT breakthru for those who just had, or are about to have their tonsillectomy... so today is day 8th of my post op, and I must say it's been a real hectic journey. I would say that the worst part about this experience so far is that when I get up in the morning or in the middle of the night, my throat is really dry, and swallowing is a TRIAL. But listen... the best advice I can give ya'll for comfort thru this time is to STAY HYDRATED!!!! drink drink DRINK water, sip by sip all day so that the scabs stay soft. NOW, they will at some point get hard, and start to come off (around day 8). I went to the emergency room because that's what the doctor told me to do. WASTE OF TIME. Basically, when they start to come off, there will be some bleeding. Unless it's gushing out, don't panic. I stayed HOURS in the ER just to get released with a, 'gargle warm salt water, and don't eat bread (which is why my problem kinda started)'. So i had a dry mouth and throat til I got home... prepped myself for the warm saltwater gargle cause i knew it'd be a harsh task... well, it wasn't that bad.. I gargled to the point where it kinda burned a little bit... but drinkin water after that wasn't at all painful... the Liquid Lortab hurt like HELL but it deadened the pain and now I'm sucking on some jolly ranchers, swallowing saliva, which is good for you cause the proteins help heal wounds... and I'm feeling GREAT! So, do the salt water treatment.... it's FTW OK? Good luck, and I was so depressed about not being able to eat regular food... but every bad time shall pass.

I am 15 years old and i just had my tonsil surgery and adnoids tuesday. I am on day four. The pain hasnt been that bad and honestly i havent taken any of my pain medicinde due to lack of being able to swallow and nausea. Luckily the only pain i am having is ear aches and head aches. The drainage isnt fun. The hospital gave me a popsicle after the surgery and i had bit my tounge and lip causing 2 big blisters. Now on day 4 my toungne is still swollen. I am able to eat different foods aka mac and cheese ice cream pudding apple sauce etc. I experimented with donuts and i was able to swallow them just fine. I have lost 8 pounds already. Thats really surprising. I have been able to say the word hi and thats it. To anyone getting this surgery good luck

I just had mine done yesterday morning (2/ July/ 2016) and thank goodness I decided to have an extra overnight at the hospital even when they asked me to go back home..today is the second day and it hurts soooo bad. Its true I had less water today..because all I want to do is to sleep through the pain. I could hardly eat anything. Force myself on some ice cream and porridge but that's like only a few teaspoon and I'm done. (Its a funny sight to see someone eating ice cream with tears falling off their cheeks lol ) The doctor kept insisting on me eating solid food tomorrow ( third day ) I know she meant well but it's rather impossible. I can hardly speak..my lips and tongue swollen from the metal thingy they put in the mouth during surgery. I feel dizzy..ringing in my ear..had to sleep with a 45° instead of lying flat because I almost choke on my own drools..my body didn't automatically swallow my saliva down..sigh..now I'm waiting for the all hell break lose for the next 5-8 days that everyone is talking about lol. Wish me well!!!

I'm on my 8th day I've never been in so much pain ever, I wasn't able to swallow anything no matter how hard I tried it felt like I was getting stabbed in the throat my left side hurts a lot more then my right side it burns!! And cold water makes me cringe, i was so nervous about the operation I had tonsillitis many times glandura fever and everything else that comes with it, I was fine the first day I stayed over night just to keep an eye on me and for the pain, they prescribed me endone tramadol oxycodene! and normal Panadol and nothing helped as the days went on it got worse I woke up during the night with cold sweats shaking I was so upset, I just wanted to feel better, I was walking with my partner and I started feeling abit strange.. And then I fainted I couldn't hear or see or anything I came to the hospital today in serve pain and I'm glad I did as they said I looked like I needed to be here I hadn't drank for 5 days I tried to little sips nothing stayed down, they done blood tests on me as I was constipated from all the medicine, my stomach ached they put the drip in my arm, I had a infection in there they gave me pencillin and two bags of whatever is in the drip and Panadol, the pain slowly faded then bang if was bang they have given me morphine numbing cream and Panadol to help ease the pain it helps and when it fades it hurts again it's not as bad I'm trying to drink as much as I can while the pain killers are helping still hurts but I need to keep my fluids up, for anyone getting it done if you feel in pain tell your doctor go to the hospital if you feel dizzy fainty etc it's not worth the risk I'm 19 years of age and its 4:42 in the morning in to scared to sleep cause the pain hurts to much when I wake in the morning hopefully I'm better soon and goodluck to everyone xx

I am 42 and just went through a tonsillectomy. I felt I could handle anything, as well as a simple outpatient surgery. WRONG! I have stayed well hydrated the WHOLE time, but after 24 hours, I had an artery in my throat hemorrhage and lost 4 units of blood (that's a LOT! ). Bean soups have worked best for me, after making it a puree. Iron and protein and hydration should be focus. NOTHING SALTY OR SAVORY FOR AT LEAST 5 DAYS.

Hey, I had mine out last Wednesday and rn I'm in soooo much pain!! I'm scared it'll get worse!

Im on day 4, had tonsillectomy on 05/05/2017 and it is the worst experience ever. Iv given birth twice and that is nothing compared to the recovery of this procedure. My throat is so sore, head, ears and jaw hurt so bad. Can't eat food, even soft things hurt. Trying to keep hydrated and drinking quite a bit but still feel like I'm dehydrating. Can only have paracetamol now as all stronger pain killers give me bad side affects. The reason for my op was because I suffered with reoccuring tonsillitis, cant see the light at the end of the tunnel and if I could turn the clocks back I wouldn't have agreed to have this done. Good luck to everyone having the procedure and recovering. The advice I can give is make sure you have someone to help you out for the two weeks of your recovery because even getting changed and going to the toilet will take a lot out of you.

30 year old here on day 9. Up until last night I was having a horrible time. Days 1-4 weren’t bad, day 5 was a little worse, but days 6-8 were excruciating. I decided to take stool softeners with the pain meds, which is a common thing to do. I picked up Miralax thinking it was a stool softener. I had bad bouts of diarrhea (sorry... tmi) starting day 4, but thought nothing of it. On the evening of day 6, my pain was excruciating: constant throat pain that made it difficult to walk let alone swallow my spit or meds. I know the pain would be bad, so I waited it out until day 8 when I ran out of my painkillers, which weren’t really working at that point. I called my doctor to have to pain killers refilled and he told me I needed to go to the ER to for IV fluids and steroids. I got back from the ER and felt like a different person and lost a lot of scabs in the process! My point is, make sure you pick up a stool softener instead of a laxative. This is confusing because many of the name brands say that they soften your stool, but are actually a laxative. Talk to your doctor too about which kind to get. Stool softeners are more gentle on your system and you won’t get dehydrated as quickly. It’s also worth calling your doctor if you start having diarrhea, especially if you’re having issues drinking fluids. Now that I’m through the thick of it, the tonsillectomy was worth it. I feel so much better having those suckers out of my body. Good luck everyone!

By which method were your tonsils removed?