I wish that I could that beat the c**p out of kids who scream like hell. It makes me sick that I'm not allowed to do that. If I'm a parent who has one or more kids who scream, I'd slap the hell out o' him, her, or them.

HI everyone,

I too have 4 children next door who scream constantly at the top of their lungs and also like to bounce with balls, many of them landing in my property. I am constantly baffled by the loud piercing screaming which is incessant and constant. When ever they are home, they scream. In the mornings, they are better than an alarm clock, because at 7.00 a.m.; the screaming starts, on the street waking the whole street up. I have never experienced anything like it so went on line to investigate, and here I read that it is a widespread problem. A neighbour on the other side approached the screaming maniacs parents and the parent told my neighbour "don't you like the sound of children playing?". That makes me think it is the generation of parents who must be very sick individuals who believe the correct way to raise children is by non engagement. These chidren never learn any boundaries, discipline, or how to control themselves. They are likely to all become drug addicts the first time someome puts anything under their noses.

If the children are not special needs I would suggest blowing an air horn every time they start screaming. Screaming and jolly yelling are two totally different things. Screaming should be saved for crisis, emergencies, etc. It can be very startling. You can always call the police (not 9-1-1) and share your concerns about the children’s safety. Have your neighbors all meet w/the police. Screaming children can be considered a breach of peace. If the children start screaming you can also call 9-1-1 and ask the police to come check out their safety. We used to blare our music out the window, facing their property, when our neighbor’s dog would howl during the day - for hours! Good luck.

Yes, this is correct. I know it's not a PC answer, but we have to have permits for guns, to drive cars... but anyone can reproduce. Worse, our culture has become more and more entitled. Have you noticed how people behave today with their pets? On a medical forum recently someone said that people who have severe allergies to dogs on planes... should just suffer through them. I'm not saying kids are like pets, but when someone loves something, they are VASTLY less concerned about the suffering that thing causes others--like loud motorcycles, booming cars/trucks, dogs barking 24x&, and kids throwing tantrums ALL. DAY. LONG.

It's never the other person's fault. It's always OUR problem. And when the offender is a child, suddenly no one else has any rights. I've seen an adult strike another adult on the MBTA (Boston subway) JUST because the mother's 8- or 9-year-old child was kicking out her feet repeatedly into the shin of an elderly woman next to her. The older woman gently guided the child's kicking feet away from her shin and THAT finally got the cell-phone using mother's attention and she struck the older woman who was about 40 years older.

And there's no safe or quiet space anymore. Even at church, screaming-screaming. Our libraries are no longer spaces to sit and study or read. Taking in a late show to escape the screaming? Nope. Parents take their screaming infants to shows as late as midnight. Paying a premium for a night out at a luxury restaurant to get some peace and quiet? Fortget it. Screaming-screaming. Nowhere is safe anymore. We have no rights to quiet and peace. Our tax dollars subsidize all these families, but we have no say in even a sliver of quiet society.

I think you're right: people who shouldn't be parents are simply free to keep reproducing. And the rest of us have to pay the price.

Finally! Another person who sympathizes with those who find screaming kids to be problematic.

Yes, this always seems to be the standard reaction when somebody dares mention children's behaviour, usually delivered in a confrontational sneer "well I bet you don't have kids do you????" or the alternative "Ah, they're just being kids" (both justifications for failing to address the issue). That's not the issue - the issue is that somebody's lifestyle choice (children who don't or won't behave) are affecting the well being & peace of another. Do we allow smokers to blow smoke at non smokers?.... no, that would be insanely rude & inconsiderate wouldn't it?...... just FYI not everybody who is bothered by the noise of children is automatically child-free or has "no babysitting experience" that is flawed logic

Yes, well parenting is now a "sacred cow" that you criticise at your peril. Many parents appear to believe their kids are "mini mes" so if you criticise the kids behaviour it seems to be a direct challenge to the parents & boy do they get butthurt about it!!.... parents may become used to the sound of their screaming kids but that doesn't mean the rest of us should have to put up with it.....