This answer is complete nonsense. It does not matter what time you eat or what you eat, calories are calories. Simply consume less calories than you burn per day and you will loose weight

Most likely it's the foods ur eating. I lost 35 pounds eating nuts, fruits, chicken, beans in portion about the size of one of those lean cuisines. Ate 3 times a day with 2 fruits as a snack or a small handful of nuts. Lots of people will tell u ur not eating enuff to lose weight. I was hovering around 900 calories a day and losing 1 pound every 1 to 2 weeks. Some people like me need to be on a low low calorie diet and focus on the type of foods they eat. If ur like me, look at the types of foods ur eating, drink lots of water and dont let peoole tell u ur not eating enuff. I stopped listening to people after they told me the same and cldnt figure out why I wasn't losing anything. If u have lots of weight to lose, eating 1,500 calories would probably make u lose weight. If ur looking to lose 20 pounds and under, it requires u to be stricter, because ur caloric needs are less. Good luck. Listen to ur body.

That's true for a normal person. Anyone with even a bit of insulin resistance will process the types of foods differently. U can have insulin resistance btw and not know that, as ur glucose blood work will come out normal. U can have ur insulin resistance levels tested specially with an endocrinologist.

incorrect advice. at 800 cals/day, your body is in panic mode - FACT. fat retention is increased, muscle is lost in place of fat reserves and you usually end up gaining weight than losing it. Please refrain from giving incorrect advice and potentially putting others in danger. you should not be on 800 cals a day and you certainly should not advocate another following suit. The only thing i do agree is that the doctor should be informed, if only to steer you in a non-debilitating direction.

No you're completely wrong

I maintain at 800 calories a day. My husband maintains at 2500 calories a day. I figure he is a pick-up and I am a volkswagon. I am careful to eat high nutrient food and take vitamin/mineral supplement. But, I am older, not as active as I used to be and am not hungry at 800 calories. I am not underweight at all. On paper I am overweight, but I don't look it. I could loose 5 pounds to be optimal weight for me. People are not cookies to be cut out of the same cutters.

I swear I've got this as well! I eat really well, hardly ever have junk food, have a lactose intolerance so can't eat /drink any dairy, I try and limit calories / Saturated fats / sugars / carbs as much as possible, I eat healthy fats like avocado, fish, have veg in every meal, I eat more vegetarian meals than Meat meals, have been doing this for past year. Sometimes I treat myself like anyone does but this isn't a regular thing. Also I can say no to food and resist temptation. It's so hard being this way, all I've seemed to do is put on more and more weight :( what do you have to eat with your thyroid problem?

Or if u take antidepressants...that really screws ur metabolism. U can eat virtually nothing and lose 10 lbs...then plateau with no more weightloss at all....Ever!!!!

So true about the antidepressants. I have been taking them for five years. Gained back all 30 pounds that I had lost easily, pre-antidepressant. I am now eating 800-1000 calories a day and elliptical 6-7 days a week and NO weight loss. It’s crazy.

you've obviously never had to lose serious amounts of weight...like anyone is going to eat 800 cals of sugar... dieting is different for each individual.... I'm tired of hearing "oh you must be cheating"... or you're eating the "wrong foods"... for some people science just has no answer for the hideous problem of losing weight... any id**t can loose 20 lbs... don't criticize until you've tried to lose 100 lbs or more.. I know people who have tried to kill themselves because they CAN"T lose the weight... be glad you're thin.

Guest said: "I’ve been told that I will lose weight if I have daily calorie intake between 800 and 1000. I‘ve been on 800 calories a day for more that week and there is no weight loss. I am disappointed and hungry."

Hi, Guest, Not uncommon at all! Your body is hanging on to fluid/fat due to decreased calorie intake as a survival tactic. Same thing happened to me. When younger, for the first 2 weeks, I would actually gain weight, then suddenly weight would drop off. Now, I'm older and it takes a bit over 3 weeks for the weight to even begin to fall.

In addition, you don't need to decrease calories to that low or your body's reaction can be more extreme in hanging on to that weight! Try a more reasonable number by calculating what your calorie intake should be for your height, age, activity level, etc. (There are some good online calculators for this) and then decrease that number.

Give it some time and then see what happens. Of course, always check w/your doctor for his advice, due to the fact there could be other underlying issues causing weight gain/water retention other than caloric intake. Overweight is not a disorder, it is a symptom. Good luck and let us know what happens! - SierraLuna

I have been eating more or less 500 to 800 calories a day for the past 6 weeks. The first week I gained a pound. The rest of the time I have maintained my weight. I am 5'2" and have weighed between 120 to 130 lbs, I am at 150 lbs now. I would like to be back to 130 lbs. I eat whole grain toast for breakfast and maybe a salad (store bought 350 calories) or an energy bar (220 calories) and that is it. I sometimes will eat a little lean meat for dinner. I have a fit bit and go for walks to keep my steps up. Why am I not losing weight?

New Member

I think we often eat a lot more than we think we do. I know I have to keep track very carefully, or I get a lot more calories than I mean to. It's how I gained the weight in the first place.