this has just happened to my middle finger and I avoid caffeine like the plague but yesterday i did have some chocolate..so only a small amount of caffeine but it was also enough to give me a sleepless night..thanks for this it could be the answer..for me anyway.

This is fascinating. I have had similar symptoms for a couple years now. Every once in a while I grab something or bend my finger or hold something and get a painful feeling in my joint. I’ve showed my husband afterward because I have what appears to be a small bruise; or I assume a blood vessel pop. It goes away after a few minutes, hours or a day. I don’t think I have a very severe case of WHATEVER this is!!!
I will say I’m looking at these posts, I do have symptoms of Reynauld’s disease but don’t know that I have it. Certain fingers, but not all, get pale yellow when cold.
Also this Thrombocytopenia sounds very intriguing to me. I’ve had low iron in the past but not recently so I don’t think it’s that, but I remember several years ago trying to give blood and I was denied. I’m almost positive it was for low blood platelet count; which makes sense due to the clotting issue. Anyways, I have a nurse friend who loves figuring things out and is not afraid to addrsss issues doctors are baffled by, so I’m excited to talk to her.
I also have a holistic doctor that I think will give me some valuable input.
For reference, I am a 49 year old healthy female that works out fairly regularly. I try to do things as naturally as possible but not afraid to take meds and go the traditional doctor route! I am a bit of a cynic on some holistic therapy but intrigued and open to scientific evidence on it.

I googled symptoms and located the answer! I too, have had these sudden and painful bruises on the inside of my fingers on and off for a long time. :::: Paroxysmal hand hematoma (also known as "Achenbach syndrome") is a skin condition characterized by spontaneous focal hemorrhage into the palm or the volar surface of a finger, which results in transitory localized pain, followed by rapid swelling and localized blueish discoloration.

Paroxysmal hand hematoma (also known as "Achenbach syndrome").

I used to just get the blood vessel break after tennis, so I assumed it was from my grip, but it happened in the morning in the kitchen the other day, and it was more swollen than usual and after a day, there was a residual lump after swelling resided.

I have had the same thing for years, and have found that compression is better than ice for treatment. I use bandaids, wrapping slightly tighter than one would for a cut. It stops the horrible throbbing almost instantly. Wear for two days.