I am 47 and have suffered from chronic diarrhea now for a few months. I usually get it for about 14 days straight morning to night. It's so bad, I can't make plans to do anything or go anywhere. Then suddenly it stops for a week or so and I feel totally fine again; only to have it come back the next month. I also lose 3-5 pounds during that time period because I find myself not wanting to eat so I don't get sick. Along with that I've had occasional bouts of nausea and my stomach gurgles and flutters and feels almost like a baby kicking I've had blood work done, stool samples, an abdominal ultrasound and a lower GI check and so far nothing. I've been tested for Celiac Disease as well and that turned out negative. Having a endoscopy and colonoscopy next week. My periods are very regular, also lasting 3 days each time. I hope this is just IBS exacerbated by pre-menapause, but I'm worried.

This post could have been written by me! I see this is from over 2 months ago now, but did you ever get any definitive answer? I'm going through all the same things! 46 years old now, missed last two periods.

I have exactly the same problem. I have never suffered from any form of digestive problems in the past but since being told by my doctor I am peri menopausal I have had diarrhea almost daily for the past 7 months to varying degrees. I am using a natural progeste cream and find that if I stop using it the problem gets worse. I keep a diary of food I eat and notice that certain foods; bacon, processed meats especially with the fat on and most takeaways are especially bad, and too much alcohol :( The week around a period when progesterin levels fall is always the worst and even immodium struggles to be of any help at this time. I have spent a fortune on doctors and naturopath and my doctor tells me 'It is very unusual to have chronic diarrhea as a peri menopause problem but it can happen' I have had tests done that all come back fine and am at a loss as to what to do. The only thing that makes me feel better about the whole thing is knowing that there are other people out there with the same symptoms and I am not alone. My question is how long does it last??

I am turning 44 on Monday and have been having from diarrhea to very soft stools esp. in the morning for a few months. I go and then a half hour I go again...this happens up to 5 times ea. morning then I'm good for the rest of the day....sometimes it comes with slight nausea. I often have bloating and gas. esp after dinner. I think I may be going through perimenopause but I'm not sure. Wish I could get confirmation.

I'm having the same symptons - did it resolve itself ?

Thank you ladies! I am almost 52 and have been going through feeling anxious, much heavier periods, then no period for 3 or 4 months and knew what that was. When the digestive problems started I was worried. Your posts have made me feel much better. My doctor checked my abdomen and didn't find anything that concerned her. She suggested I change my diet, coffee being one of my main culprits, and to contact her if things got worse. I've continued to have off and on issues with my bowels, some of you have described them perfectly, and a warm feeling in the middle of my abdomen right under my ribs with some gas. I've googled like crazy all of the ailments you ladies have mentioned. It is good to see this is a common worry, and that I am experiencing my age to the T. Thank you all!

I know it has been a while but did you ever find out what this was. I am experiencing the same symptoms. I hope that you are feeling better and that it was nothing serious. I too have had numerous tests run and have been told that they don;t know what it is.

Your story sounds just like mine!! Did you ever find out what was going on?

Hi Im 50 years old and I got same thing and my periods are so often like very 10 days than 5 day ... oh i feel terrible

I have had the same things. It started with pain on the right side of the abdomen, then burning mouth (which I still have 2 years later). Hot flashes. Night sweats. I had my uterus removed because of several large fibroids, and then all hell broke lose. My anxiety went through the roof. My lower back started giving me fits. I still have reflux and I have started eating a lot healthier, but I still have digestive issues and feel a lump in my throat.
Does the Burning Mouth last? This stuff is no joke.

Since last Friday i have had discomfort and at times excruciating pain in my upper abdomen. I was diagnosed years sgo with a gastrointestinal problem but would only have issues with certain foods. I am 54 and havent had a period in 10 months but now am experiencing this pain with bloating and. The vaginal discharge and dryness. It helped me so much reading what other ladies are going through to know its not just me, that its normal to experience these symptoms. Thank you i feel relieved and will continue my gas pills and tylenol.

I am also a wreck- 50 years old, have had heavy periods for 6 months, sometimes 2 a month. Now i have nausea just like morning sickness, gurgly belly, gas, fatigue- im scared it could be ovarian cancer, even though i have no pain. I have been obsessed trying to self dx, i am too scared to go to dr. I don't want to know if its something bad.....i know that is horrible....but true. Gas horrible. I have every thing over the counter i can get, helps a lityle but not alot. Dont know what to do right now. Anybody else going through this? I can not imagine going through this for years!

New Member
Hi I read your post and it was very informative. I'm wondering how are you doing since this post? I've bee going through perimenopause for almost 3 years now and it has been a very rough one. Lots of digestion issues, you mentioned that you have gastritis, i was diagnoised with it also. What were your symptoms with gastritis? Lately, ive been have stomach pains and I have never had pain before until the past month. The pain is all over and certain foods will bring it on. Its more of a deep cramping pain. My GI scheduled a ct scan but i am too freaked out to go. I have really bad health anxiety in which I never had this until perimenopause. I did a gut test and it came back with an overgrowth of bad bacteria, so i was told by another dr that the pain may be from that. Anyways, ive had horrible symptoms since going through this. I am definately not in the mood for the holidays. Its been so depressing for me dealing with this almost daily. My diet only consist of about 4 foods. I have so many food allergies and not like the norm menopause symptom - gain weight but instead i lost weight. I cant gain back because my foods are so limited and i feel so depressed from these hormones and the symptoms that im dealing with.

New Member
Hi I read your post and I can relate to what you are going through. I'm going through this nightmare called perimenopause too. Ive been going through it for almost 3 years now. I'm having digestion issues with pain. The digestion issues has been here since the start of peri. but never pain with it. My dr wants me to do a ct scan but like you i have health anxiety really bad. I did one in 2017 when this all started and i did't have the scare like i do now. I hope you are feeling better now.