I have the same symptoms and totally agree -- not painful, but VERY uncomfortable sensation.
Mine is posture related due to nerves/muscles over stretching when in a leaning forward position. Keeping good posture during the day and doing regular upper back stretches (clasping both hands behind your back and stretching them down as far as possible opening the chest, then hold for a few seconds and repeat) has significantly helped. Also add in some Y-exercises (check out YouTube) and Child's Pose (yoga move) w/arms stretched forward. Doing this has improved the symptoms from a DAILY issue to an occasional one. Best of luck.

exactly the same thing. have you figured out the cause?

So what was it ? I have the same thing in the same place

Same here, what the heck could it be? Drives me nuts, it’s so random you can’t peg what starts it.

Hi all,
I've had this same sensation to the left of my spine below the shoulder blade for a few years now.
I had shingles in the same area 12 years ago, and my doctor suspects it's nerve damage from the shingles.

HOWEVER, I have found great relief from over-the-counter Capsaicin cream (sold as arthritis cream). Capsaicin is the compound in chili peppers that gives them their "heat". This compound is also fantastic at relieving nerve pain near the surface of the skin. It burns pretty hard for about an hour, but then total relief for the rest of the day.

I read about a new treatment called Qutenza, which is a Capsaicin patch that is 8000 times more potent than the over-the-counter cream, and is applied by a physician and removed after 1 hour, which apparently provides several months of relief after one treatment. I'll be pursuing that next.

Nerve pain SUCKS, but there are lots of options for treating it.

Good luck!

Exactly.. But mine started after injury

Anyone figure this out? I'm having a similar problem...

This thread was a waste of time. While it was nice to know I wasn't alone the slew of non answers and guesses are frustrating. In case anyone wants to comment I have had Shingles since I was 18 months old and it manifests around my right eye [tingles are under left shoulder blade], no injuries, no back problems, no drinking, no drugs, no pain killers. This has been a constant issue for me for years but sonce I'll make the assumption mist of tge posters here are women we won't get any meaningful answers for decades.

Alright I've got a lot to say about this.. First it's not shingles activating after lying dormant or a mole that's causing this phenomenon for the majority of posters. Now that being said shingles may be the cause for a low percentage of posters, so if it is shingles the tingling and numbness will be followed by a rash. Also I see two different locations being described. Under the lower shoulder blade a sort of stabbing and burning pain that seems to come and go, possibly affected by movement. And a spot surrounding the spine usually in the middle back can range from a small spot to a wider more spreading radius, symptoms for this location seem to be tingling numbness more cool than hot that is painless. Okay now for my two cents because there have been things mentioned that for me are red flags. These red flags are women who get this sensation after pregnancy, and the description of a dripping or leaking sensation like cool liquid being released. Ok so to start I would venture to guess all these women who have recently given birth received an epidural. And that all the men who have this are hard labourers. Ok the suspense is building you want to know what I think the problem is? Well first a few more assumptions.. I would venture to guess that both men and women alike receive regular headaches that can be severe. They seem to be worse when you stand up like a pulsing throbbing excruciating splitting of the brain. But especially when standing and laying seems to relieve the headache somewhat this is because of intracranial pressure. A smaller percentage of you may even have the opposite high pressure headaches usually short lived but 10x as painful as the previous listed headaches and are more prone to happen upon waking or in the morning. If you have ever had a thunderclap headache I fell for you as so have I, you may remember thinking this is no normal headache and that something was going to explode inside your brain you probably feared for your life. If you have yet to have thunderclap headaches but get the previous listed headaches the low pressure headaches then you can probably expect a thunderclap headache soon as the problem progresses. Now! For the long awaited identification of this strange phenomenon, drum roll please.......... You have a spinal csf leakage, which means Cereberospinalfluid that's liquid from your brain is leaking from your back, when you fell that sensation in the back not the shoulder it is fluid leaking right around your spine which can in turn Rob your brain of much needed CSF causing low pressure headaches which means the fluid that cusions your brain is low so when you stand your brain is pretty much bouncing around and knocking against your skull in lamens terms hence why it hurts badly to go from lying down to standing or just moving your head in general. Ok now sometimes we have rebound headaches which can happen when your body produces too much CSF to replenish levels and it's like an overly inflated tire pressing on your brain these are the previously listed Thunderclap headaches they are shorter lived because eventually your body will respond and normalize pressure. Thunderclap headaches are dangerous and detrimental to your brain if you have them you are likely causing them by something your doing that's making your body produce more CSF likely a medication or even a drug. Let it be know that coughing really bad from smoking pot can cause Thunderclap headaches the reason is not yet known but it's the coughing that's the problem not the pot. Also cocaine should not be taken as it can cause headaches that are fatal in this case the drug is the culprit. The previous information were just extreme examples a lesser one would be the supplement Holy basil. Also for those who have yet to have Thunderclap headaches I hope you never do but if you have a CSF leak then it's probably up and coming. Being healthy helps a lot not taking supplements this is dangerous for people who have CSF leak and can cause unwanted unlisted side effects because of your condition. Supplements can be taken but only after making sure they won't affect your condition, but what I meant by healthy is staying in shape and eating healthy. And when I say staying in shape I don't mean lifting weights that could worsen your condition you don't want to widen the tear. Also a leak can occur along any spot on the spine, and if you only feel the tingling leak maybe once a night every so often this is likely when your sacral pump kicks into action but that's all speculation on my part. Anyway I hope this helped do some research and know that the vast majority who have CSF leaks have no idea even after having symptoms for years. It's still not well understood and most always mis diagnosed, it's hard to find and your doctor likely doesn't know much about it and won't believe you anyway. Never tell a doctor what you think it is they will never accept that as a possibility then let him come to the conclusion if possible. And if you have have a serious case of CSF leak go right to an expert. I hope this helps you all many of you probably are just starting to get headaches or will soon I feel for you and remember CSF leaks DO heal on their own without intervention not always but they do. Trust God and Live Right, Seek Life and Live. Also rarely are CSF leaks fatal they are just NO FUN to live with but with the proper understanding of what's happening to you things can be much more bearable if you want email me at simple8mind8atgmaildotcom. I'll help in whatever way I can remember don't fear it like most things can be overcome.

Also thought I should add if you ever had an epidural where the doctor stuck a needle in your spine also can be called a spinal tap. Usually done during child birth for anesthesia or just a spinal tap for testing then your likely to develop a CSF leak HOWEVER just because you have never had a spinal tap doesn't mean you can't have a CSF leak doctor's used to try to push that bullcrap but it's not true no matter how many still try to push it. Very many men also have CSF leaks who have never had spinal tap recent research has shown the venous fistula to be an active culprit in the majority of the cases with no spinal tap or a form of spinal cyst. I REPEAT just because a doctor has never poked a hole in your spine does not mean you can't have a CSF leak.

There's a reason most are women because CSF leaks are mostly caused by giving an epidural at birth especially if they have to try many times.

mine is also having the same problem from the last six months I got my blood tests and xray and everything was fine .And it started all once again dont know why

New Member
1 post
Glen, you are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!! I cant thank you enough.

I've had this since I was 12, I felt from my dad's car. Since then,yes.even anxiety.

I had the same thing. I went to a chiropractor and she said it was a misaligned rib. She popped it back into place and I got pretty much immediate relief but it’s been a month and the pain is beginning to return.