Hello FL/Grammie and others here. I had a parathyroid adenoma removed in January 2014 at the Univ of CO by an endocrine surgeon and was followed up by an endocrinologist at the university. Immediately following the surgery my calcium levels fell from 11 to 12 to around 10.5 and I could feel the symptoms return a day or two after the surgery so I stopped taking the tums I was advised to take several times a day. At the six month follow up I told the endocrinologist I was still feeling very fatigued and noticing other symptoms and was concerned my calcium levels were still just outside of the normal range. She said there was nothing she could do for me and there was no reason she could imagine I was still fatigued. The primary care doc I saw had no idea what to do. So I've been waiting for the calcium levels to come down on their own - which has not happened 3.5 years later.

Here's what little I know may help others in a similar predicament. Something worth trying to reduce arterial calcification and improve bone density is a vitamin K2 variant called menaquinone, specifically MK7 which is derived from natto (fermented soybeans) - best from non-GMO soy, of course.

Menaquinone 7 works by stimulating Matrix gla protein to remove calcium from arterial walls and shuttles it into the bone for absorption. This process should aid issues with hypercalcemia associated hypertension and osteoporosis. After my surgery I took MK-7 capsules three times a day for approx six months and saw my slightly elevated blood pressure return to normal at which point I began taking MK-7 only once a day. Now my blood pressure has crept up again to around 130/100. I very concerned about my diastolic pressure and this week started taking MK-7 three times a day again and will be also eating homemade fermented vegetables (primarily cabbage) which is also another good source of MK 7 (it's produced in abundance by some bacteria). I purchased Dr. Mercola's starter for the fermentation, which is not necessary, but his starter optimizes the production of MK-7.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

after removal of 2 (right side) parathyroid glands & 2 thyroid gland nodule in July 2016, presently have calcium level of 10.5. It is a wait, wait and check calcium level blood test plus negative nuclear scan, expensive (can not afford) Sensipar for 3 months and stopped. Doctor has me take 2000 vitamin D, metformin, aspirin, , provastatin medications. What else can be done, have muscle pain, fatigue, brain fogs still.

Contact the Norman Parathyroid center

While having an ultra sound of my neck for probable tumor, my bloodwork came back. It indicated that my calcium level was 22. Yes, 22. After more than a week in the hospital, they were able to get it down to 12, and proceeded to remove a large parathyroid adenoma. I was informed that I would no longer suffer with the whole "stones, bones, groans" thing. After my gallbladder was removed, I thought it would be smooth sailing from that point on. The truth is I continue to suffer with joint pain, bone pain, and muscle aches that are excruciating. My bloodwork indicates that my current calcium level is 10.4 and my Vitamin D very low. I don't know what to do...
Hope you find the answers you are looking for. Just wanted to know you are not alone. I continue to suffer as well.

I had surgery in March where one gland was removed. Just had 6 month bloodwork done and PTH normal but calcium 10.3
Why oh why didn't surgeon look at the other glands??? She says because levels dropped into normal range and I have a lot of veins in my neck. I think it's because the surgery took almost two hours and she had other surgeries to do

Just had surgery last week had three removed levels 10.8 actually after surgery

I am in the same situation had thyroidectomy, surgeon could not find fourth parathyroid thought it was in hashimoto scarring when thyroid removed just saw my endocrinologist and she is telling me my calcium is going up instead of down which could mean I have to have surgery again. Curious how many of you are bc survivors who took letrozole before this all started

I had parathyroidectomy a month ago.(oct 2019) (removed just one afftected gland) . Before the surgery, blood calcium was 11.7 , pth was 143. Vitamin D was 11, After surgery blood calcium is 10.3 and pth is 55, vitamin D is 28. I do take 2000 iu of vitamin D for the past 4 months. They are monitoring now with blood tests every other month to see if calcium will go down more. It is in the normal high range. I still do have tingling bone pain due to osteoporosis. I am also trying to figure out if the surgery was needed or it is some other underlying problem. My doctor told me that serum calcium is the most important part and in my case it is perfectly in the normal range.

Lots of people can’t easily afford yo fly down there and rent a motel, etc. :(