Shirley,

My problems all began after a right hip replacement over 4 years ago. Not sure if scar tissue caused by that. Not sure you wouldn't see scar tissue in alot of people over 50 with no pain at all. Never been any MRI evidence that my L4-5 spondyllisthesis had any nerve root impingement causing my right butt pain with sitting and the burning pain in foot.

lhuggable

Hi all. Hope this finds everyone as well as possible.

Today marks 3 months post-op for me and I thought I would provide an update.

All in all, I continue to improve although I've kind of hit a plataeu at the present. I hope it's temporary. I currently have a cold and with all the sneezing and coughing, my body feels like it's doing double duty. I'm literally sore from the coughing, especially in my abs. Not to mention the new cold front that hit yesterday. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THESE.

I still suffer from varying degrees of nerve issues due to spasms in my rear, mostly on my left side. The last couple of days it has come in the form of burning in my left foot and pressure(no pain) in my left shin. However, I'm walking well over a mile a day and my pace is getting more rapid by the day. I'm even starting to do push-ups, light stretching and I am able to carry heavier loads each week. I know because our pup is now over 20 lbs and sometimes I get to carry her when she tires on a walk. Yes, there is something wrong with that picture.

I am still taking muscle relaxers in half doses. One half tablet of Skelaxin every 5-6 hours and I've been able to eliminate the evening dose. I have no idea what the long term(1-2 months) of being on these are but I'm guessing I would suffer a little more without them. I look forward to the day when I can get off of them entirely.

Obviously, I go up and down and like I said above, I'm currently stuck in place. I'm really ready for the next step change in improvement now that I've "tasted" feeling good again. I'm starting to think it's just going to take a little longer than the 3-4 months advertised but I'm prepared for that. I told my wife that I'm guessing, truly pure speculation, that it's going to 4-6 months for me to stay consistently better although I'm not complaining about the progress to date. If I'm telling the whole truth, I'm also preparing myself for the fact that I might not ever get back to what I used to be but do not misunderstand that comment as a bad attitude. Quite to the contrary, I have a great attitude but I just celebrated my 48th BD and I know I just don't bounce back as easily as I once did.

Oh well, that about wraps this update up. I guess I have no real reason to complain and I'm pushing forward and always hoping for the next step in improvement. I have no choice but to believe it will come in the very near future.

Your friend,

David

David,

Thank you for your great attitude! I appreciate that you are totally honest in letting us know your ups and downs. I don't want to go into this surgery with false hopes of immediate recovery but I also don't want to go into it expecting it to fail. Your posts are very helpful to me in that regard. Thank you for staying with us and keeping us informed!

Margie

You're very welcome Margie. That's why I am here. I truly want to help others as this has been, hands down, the toughest thing I have encountered in my life.

David:

Good to hear from you and your update. I'm sure your cold isn't helping any. There is something wrong with that dog picture!! You won't be able to do that much longer as your pup gaines weight but funny story anyway!

I started back to work yesterday, just short of 5 weeks since surgery. I'm a real esate appraiser and plan on taking just one order at a time for now (as opposed to 3-8 at a time). I did feel it at the end of the day yesterday but overall it wasn't bad at all. I've also hit a plateau. Still waking up with minor nerve pain, but it gets better as the day goes on. I'm sure the meds help quite a bit as when I wake up it's been a long time between doses which explains the nerve pain in the morning. I'm still very happy with my progress. I wasn't nearly as bad as David or Donna were which explains why I'm feeling better sooner than they did I'm sure.

Hang in there everyone.

Leesa

David,

Thank you so much for your update and your inspiration. You have been such a lifeline to all of us. Literally, I smile every time I see a post from you. A ga-zillion hugs for you.

Question: what would you rate your overall improvement at this point (percentage)? It's probably a little hard to quantify, but if you could, what would it be?

Take care,
Julie

David, sorry, forgot one more question: except for the skelaxin, have you been able to cut down or eliminate the pain meds?

--Julie

David,

Good to hear how its going. Seems I remember Dr. Filler saying something about the 3-4 month recovery time being for one side, but he expects it to be longer when he does both sides at once. So you're still on target. I'm finding that as long as I'm reasonable in what I do, exercise and activity improve the way I feel. When I'm consistent in stretching, I feel really good, but when I slack off, I feel a tightness and a slight burning in my right thigh. Motivation to keep up with the stretching.

Menzie, My vote on transportation method for you daughter would be to fly. Seems like the quicker you can get her back to the comfort of your home the better she'll feel and quicker she can begin to recuperate. My flight after surgery was much more tolerable than the pre surgery flight.

Donna

Hi Julie,

On a % basis versus prior to being hurt, it depends on what day you ask the question. On my best days, 95% but recognizing that this is pain level only. I was in very, very good shape for a 47 year old. I've still go that road ahead of me, that being getting back in shape. On my worst days, more like 75-80 percent.

With regard to pain meds, I'm down to 2 Tylenol #3's per day. Funny you should ask, today is the day I was going to replace one Tylenol #3 with just regular Tylenol. However, with my blankety blank blank cold, I'm going to wait a couple of days. The coughing and sneezing are just causing havoc with my arse spasms so I'm not going to suffer unnecessarily.

Donna,

You are correct but I wasn't going to say it on here for a while longer until I was sure. I've hesitated because for Leesa's sake and others who are getting ready to have the surgery sake because I don't want them to get crazy about it, especially if I was wrong. However, since time has gone on and since, LOL, you let the cat out of the bag, I'll echo what you said just as long as Leesa and others know that you can over do it.

It seems like the harder I work(e.g. lifting the pup, stretch, increase the pace or lenght of my walk, staying on my feet at work, etc.), the better I feel the next day. I initally excused it as coincidence but now it's happened enough times that I think there is something to it. For example, our weather was horrible yesterday evening so I go on the treadmill instead of my usual street walk. As such, I was able to monitor the speed. I set the speed to my normal comfort level and then cranked it up about another half a mile per hour. When I got off the treadmill, I felt some slight burning in both feet and more pressure in my left shin. I kind of thought that I had overdone it again and I would suffer today. However, I then did some push-ups and very light stretching, felt a little better while watching a movie, and then felt much better this morning relative to before the walk.

Again, this has bitten me before and there is a limit but I'm starting to think that the increased blood flow is EXACTLY what my body may be craving. If I wake up tomorrow feeling worse, then I'll back off just a little until I find the "sweet" spot.

Oh well, that's a very long winded way of saying I agree with you Donna. Thanks very much for the recovery time reminder as well. I literally keep forgetting that there is a large difference between one side and two sides, both in surgery recovery and overall recovery. Maybe I just need to write it down.

Leesa,

Congrats on going back to work, even in a limited roll. Don't know about you but that event was wonderful for the psyche. It gets better as well. Don't let the plateau spook you if you can help it. You get another step change for the better. I'm just waiting on my next one. It will happen. It's got to happen.

David

Oh yea, I nearly forgot. This extra year of age is not helping my memory.

Menzie, I think I would fly. Your daughter is going to be drugged up pretty well after surgery and it takes the edge off. In my case, and no, this isn't due to age, I barely remember much the first week out of surgery. Literally. I remember bits and pieces but I lost some time. My wife has to remind me about the details of the plane trip back. Donna seems to remember more than I do in her case. I do remember I was pretty comfortable and that included a 2 hour drive from the Houston airport to our home. We did fly first class on the return trip so I had some extra room if necessary plus I could get on and off rather quickly.

Hope that helps.

Donna,

What specific stretching and strengthening are you doing? That would be quite helpful if you could give examples.

Thanks so much for any help.

David

Margie: Only 10 days left!!!! Yippee!! Here we are celebrating and looking forward to surgery. Most people fear it but then, I don't think a lot of people can relate to this type of pain. Hugs and prayers to you.

David: Hope you're getting over your cold by now. You've had so many road blocks but just stay focused on the several good days you've had. It really sounds like you're on the right track.

Dr. Huggable: It sounds like you've had a really frustrating and difficult experience with Dr. Filler. Do you suppose they just figure 'well, he's a doctor so he really doesn't need much follow-up'? Every patient should receive the best care possible regardless of their profession. I know myself that I'd sure expect better "customer service" than this despite being a nurse. This type of experience is one of the reasons I've decided to have my ortho direct my care instead of pain management. Dealing with the PM office staff just got to be too much. I hope things improve for you. Are you trying to push yourself too much by chance? Were you having 'butt' pain before the hip replacement? My ortho seems to think the butt pain may actually be coming from the hip osteo--interested in your thoughts. I know I need a THR but I just hope that is the reason for the butt pain.

Leesa: Going back to work is a major step--I hope today was even better for you. Sounds like a good idea to go back gradually. When you say you're still having nerve pain, are you referring to buttock pain? Are you able to sit comfortably now for any length of time?

Menzie: Your dtr has really had a rough time--she sure didn't deserve a drug reaction! She's fortunate that you knew what was happening. Please tell her she's in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,

Debbie

David,

Forgive me for not recognizing that your last post was earlier today. Of course you're not over the cold!! I wish colds and butt pain would disappear in just a few hours, don't you? Anyway, I hope the cold doesn't last long.

Debbie

Debbie:

The nerve pain is down the back (upper part) of my leg and two middle toes. I never really had a lot of pain sitting. I know that sounds contradictory to most PS symptoms but that just wasn't the major pain spot for me. Don't get me wrong, I did have pain in the butt but it never prevented me from sitting for long periods of time. Most of my pain prior to surgery came on by standing and walking and most of it was leg pain - really bad leg pain - sciatic or sciatic-like.

Hope that answered your question!

Take care,

Leesa

Hi Leesa,

How was work today? I hope each day gets a little (or a lot) better for you. Thanks for your response. Yes, it does help to know everyone's presenting symptoms as I try to figure out what's really causing the majority of my pain. It seems I have several areas that "need some oil" but I just want to get rid of the butt pain first. I have posterior thigh pain, too, especially when I'm sitting. It gets kind of numb like the circulation has been cut off but no pain in the toes. When all this started 4 yrs ago, I had the real bad sciatica running down the leg but thank goodness that doesn't happen often. I feel for you. That's horrible, excruciating pain. Hopefully, that's behind you now.

Thanks,

Debbie