way to go Margie!

Saturday, March 15

Hi everyone!

I'm home! Dr. Barbaro let me come home a day early because I was up and walking the halls and to him that said I was okay to be released!

As Julie said, Dr. Barbaro found that where the sciatic was entrapped, it had been flattened to a ribbon shape as opposed to rod shaped. I asked if it would return to it's normal shape and he just shrugged and said it might but that it didn't need to. To release it, he simply severed the piriformis. Cut it right in half! He assured me, once again, that it wasn't a muscle that I needed. I know PTs out there are gasping in horror but apparently it's the truth! My incision starts on the side (trochanter area) and scoops around to the back under my butt cheek. I haven't seen it all the way uncovered yet but it appears to be maybe 8 inches. I'll confirm later in the week if anyone is interested.

I have to brag on Dr. Barbaro a bit with regard to his follow up. There might be those of you out there who have considered Dr. Filler but are now scared because of all the negative posts the past few days. Immediately following the surgery yesterday he called my husband and spent a good amount of time letting him know what he'd done and how it all went. Last night (around 10 PM) 2 members of his surgical team came to my room to check on me and answer any questions I might have. Mainly just to see how I was doing. Then this morning Dr. Barbaro came by my room and spent about 15 minutes going over everything with me - explaining stuff, etc. He indicated that his nurse, Marianne, would be calling me on Tuesday or Wednesday to check on me but if I had any questions in the meantime he gave me a number to call 24/7 where one of his team would be available to help me. I have an appt. already scheduled to get my staples out (Marianne will do that) and then another appt. 30 days from now with Dr. Barbaro. So I'm feeling very good about the attentiveness!

The worst part of the ordeal so far was the car ride home from the hospital. It took over an hour and it was MOST uncomfortable. I'm taking Tylenol with codeine for the pain and it seems to work okay for now. They said that if I start feeling like it's not doing the trick for me they would switch me to Norco which I guess is stronger.

Okay, I've sat long enough. Not my most comfy position. But I wanted to let you all know how I fared and thank you thank you thank you for the prayers I know were coming my way. From the moment I woke up from surgery I felt better in that I didn't have the burning all the way down my leg. I still felt some in my foot and, of course, the incision site. Dr. Barbaro said that the pain from my incision might be masking the burning so not to be discouraged if I feel some burning over the next 30 days. And, of course, I've learned from everyone that there are ups and downs to be expected so I'm ready for that. That's the great thing about this forum. Everyone's been so honest so I've known what to expect.

Take care all!

Margie

I suggest: never never never sit after surgery like this.

When you sit it causes the pelvis to become more inflamed. Even if the pain is blocking the sensation, the inflammation is there. It will take several weeks for the inflammation to die down.

If it stays inflamed, it will form more scar tissue and the surgery will be a failure.

If it hurts...DON'T DO IT!

Lie down in the back or put seat back. Ride in a van in the back on a cushion. You just spent a huge chunk of money on surgery, don't ruin it by sitting.

I really wonder how many cases of PS could be avoided if people would just cool down, relax, and take a week off in bed. Physical therapy makes PS worse in most cases because it increases inflammation.

Dr. D.

The surgeon who has perfected this surgery is Dr. Tim Tollestrup, peripheral nerve surgeon in Las Vegas, NV. He removes the muscle. This doesn't cause any issues. He is doing revision surgeries on those who have had release surgery. Many release surgeries are causing all kinds of issues for folks including myself. My orthopedic damaged perfectly good nerves trying to do a release. IF you have a release you are highly likely to continue to have problems.

Margie - great to hear you made it through surgery without complications! Hope you recovery is smooth going. Mary

Margie, Great for you, I can't believe you can be at the computer so soon. I could not have done that! Dr. Barbaro sounds great as well. Hope the recovery process all goes very smooth for you. 8 inch scar, boy do you have bragging rights! Hawaiigirl

Margie, I am so happy for you! What a relief to have the surgery over and know it was the ticket! Wishing you a smooth recovery! Remember to go slow. Sadie

Margie,

Its good to hear that you made it through surgery and that you work up without the nerve pain! I'm praying for a smooth recovery for you.

Donna

Margie:

SO happy to hear from you so soon and it sounds like you are doing great. Yes, take it slow, be patient and keep us posted on your progress. Glad you didn't puke!

Leesa

Very happy for you Margie. Hope your recovery goes well. Be sure andkeep us posted. And hopefuly you will join Donna, David and Leesa as successful graduates. Dr. Barbaro sounds like a good choice. I am sure that pleases Julie.

Leesa, hope your burning has eased. Don't work too hard.

It is great to hear from Kym and I am sure a boost for HG.

I'm still at the injection stage and forthe most part have had less leg pain. Today I pushed to the limit and do have some leg pain and of course the eternal butt pain.

Bye for now.

Shirley

Hi, everyone,
I feel so deeply for Hawaii Girl, I tiptoed about how I really felt about Dr. Filler, because I didn't feel comfortable with the forum yet. Our cases correlate closely:
Dr. Filler also did a neuroplasty of the superior gluteal nerve;
The pain 8 weeks out was very severe, more severe than prior to the surgery, and in new ways; I was just finally able to massage the incision site on the buttocks 22 months post-op! I hope that it is so much better for you.
I felt totally unsupported by Dr. Filler, that he had gotten his money, did his surgery, and he was kind of 'over it.' Unless, of course, I would allow him to perform the ischeal tunnel surgery, for another $10,000.
Shiela was kind, but all she was really able to do was prescribe very large doses of Norco (similar to Vicodin without all the Tylenol).
Finally, my family doctor jumped in and prescribed a Fentanyl patch to provide me with 24-hour relief. It was SO helpful!
A couple of other doctors here in Los Angeles that knew of Dr. Filler had warned me that he was a 'quack,' but I wouldn't listen cause the pain was so bad. I'm so glad that Dr. Barbaro is around, cause we all know piriformis syndrome is real, and the medical community needs to address it.
Does anyone have any suggestions of who we could write to about Dr. Filler? I truly believe he crossed the lines of ethical behavior of a surgeon. My family doc was appalled at his behavior. I still owe Dr. Filler about $4000, of which I am payiing $50 per month. I don't know what else to do, I did sign for the surgery, etc., nothing about ethical behavior was in the contract.
Thank you, everyone, for continuing to post and share your stories; it helps very much.
Wishing everyone, especially Hawaii Girl and our newest surgical candidate, a happy, pain-free time,
Nerve Pain

Has anyone else had the neuroplasity done on the superior gluteal nerve besides HG and Nerve Pain? Was that part of your procedure, David? I don't think Dr. Filler is a quack but I do think he has taken on too much so that he is not able to give the good followup he once did. And Ihave a feeling that Sheila organzied things in his office and nowthat she is gone the office is less organized. From what Margie says Dr. Barbaro seems to have abetter followup system.

Leesa, you seem tohave been satisfied with your contact with Ever.

I would like to know more about this neuroplasty and the superior gluteal nerve. I don't even know what neuroplasticity is. Can anyone help me out there?

Shirley

Good Morning fellow PSers!

Just wanted to give you a quick update. I had a hard day yesterday with nausea and a low temp. I was feeling pretty awful! I called Dr. Barbaro's office last night about 7:00. I got a call back within minutes from his associate, Dr. Tate (or maybe it was Pate) and he told me to stop taking the pain meds (Tylenol with codeine) and just take extra strength Tylenol. The nausea persisted until almost midnight and then started to subside. This morning I have no nausea. Hallelujah! I hate feeling pukey!

Can I just say that those of you who had both sides done at once......well, I just don't know how you did it! At least I have one good leg. It's tough finding comfortable positions to sit, sleep, use the restroom, etc. I just can't imagine trying to do this with BOTH sides done! Egad! You guys are rock stars!

I'm walking more normally today, got dressed by myself, except for socks. My husband had to help with putting socks on. I'm home alone today and I think I'll be fine. I have one of those grabbers to pick things up if I drop them. Still have a little burning in my left foot but other than that, it's just the shark bite on my butt that hurts. But even that is better than yesterday so can't complain.

I feel so bad for those of you who are having issues with Dr. Filler. You must be so frustrated. I would be so angry! I hope you get everything resolved.

Thanks for all your notes of encouragement. It's nice to log on and get well-wishes from friends! Brightens my day!

Take care all!

Margie

Shirley, I looked up "neuroplasty" on the web and all I really got was the definition "plastic surgery of a nerve." I think it is used to repair damaged nerves or nerves with scar tissue. I guess the big question is whether or not the scar tissue that is there is a "normal" finding and may not be a problem or whether the scar tissue is problematic and requires attention. I can't help but think of Dr. Huggable who did have scar tissue around his obtruator yet his symptoms did not change. I think you are wise in contemplating that aspect of the surgery. I would love to hear what David had done to his hiney as he seems to be doing so well.

Another question: does Dr. Filler also cut the piri in half. David spoke of the two halves spasming so I wondered if he did the same thing. Same question goes out to you, too, Leesa.

Margie, I'm glad you're feeling better today. I'm with you...pukey sucks. How does your gate feel with your piri cut in half? I'm just amazed that that can be done and not alter your gate. PT's across the nation would faint if they knew this!

Another discovery: icy hot patches. Yes, they stink and you end up smelling like vicks-vapo-rub...but they do provide a lot of relief for the burning butt pain...it's replaced with that icy hot feeling. They just stink. I'm really interested in the new anti inflammatory patch. My DO mentioned it to me a few weeks ago and I may give it a try.

Everyone else, hope you are having a good day.

Take care,
Julie

Julie,

No difference in my gait that I can tell. I'm limping but that's just because the incision is sore and it hurts when I put all my weight on that leg. So for now I'm favoring it a bit although not as much as yesterday.

Glad the icy hot patches help. I used a similar product in the past. It's a product called Sore No More and it seemed to help a little with the burning. Either that or the fact that it warmed my skin up so much I noticed the burning less. Whatever. Relief, in any form, is necessary!

Margie