Welcome pitabutt,

Obvious next questions are: who did the surgery and where? How long have you had PS? Was the surgery just piriformis release or did you have other issues addressed? Did you have only butt pain or sciatica as well? Do you know what may have caused the PS to come on? What sorts of things did you do prior to surgery to find relief, obviously none worked to cure you but was anything helpful? Lots of great people and support here as you have read already. Look forward to hearing your story.

aztec, curious about the rf treatment for sciatica as well. Sorry about the increased pain, getting my shot next week, but Dr. Fillers nurse said its type A botox so I'm hoping for no flu stuff.

Leesa, thanks for the weather update, hope you are feeling better, the leg pain and foot pain are the worst! The one good thing is you are close by for follow up. Geez, I thought you'd breeze thru this, keep the faith going, I know firsthand how hard that is but tommorrow comes whether we feel good or not.

menzie, go get that pedicure or massage !!

Lynne

Thanks for the Welcome Hawaii Girl !!
First things first>>As for my "user name" PITA BUTT,,pretty self explanitory..Pain In The Ass BUTT....But my real name is Candy,but with this Pain I certainly do NOT feel as "Sweet" as my name sounds...So Anyway...I live in Cleveland Ohio and my Surgeon was/is Dr.Henry Bohlman at University Hospital..Also Dean of Orthopedics at Case Western here in Cleveland..I started out with leg pain..Chriopracters..Over/Over 13yrs..For just a temp. fix..Tried the Spinal Decompression Table for 26 visits..Nothing!! Just a LOT lighter wallet$$$...And EVEN accupunture...Zippo there too..And the 3 nerve block shots...Same outcome..As you know..When you are in pain you will try ANYTHING...2 Surgeons told me there was "Nothing wrong" with me..So after awhile my husband said ENOUGH..He called and made an appt. with this Dr.. and Last year I had "spinal lamectomy"??? to relieve pressure on a nerve.. It seemed to help somewhat, but I STILL had very little butt pain...But as time went on it got worse and worse..After returning to work after over 3 mnths off...EVERYDAY was a chore just to go to work...and putting up with the pain..SO>>>I went back to see the Dr..He could Not understand..The nerve is completely decompressed from the surgery..So he then wanted an MRI...But after talking more and more to him>>>AHA!!! P.S.!!!! I used to try and workout..NOT alot.I am by NO means athletic...But when the pain started getting worse..No More..i did NOT want to "Aggravate" anything..Right now...I KNOW I should be doing somekind of "Exersize" but AGAIN>>I just had "surgery"..So I WILL wait abit...Enough of MY babbling for now.....
I Hope everyone at least starts Enjoying the warmer/sunnier weather.That ALWAYS makes me feel better...

Welcome to Candy and preacherman! You are among friends!

Candy, just curious. You've introduced everyone to a THIRD surgeon who does piriformis release surgery. Dr. Filler and Dr. Barbaro have very different techniques so I'm wondering if your doctor is more similar to Filler or Barbaro or completely different from both. Filler seems to make a very small incision (3-4 inches from what I've gathered on this forum) but Barbaro makes a much larger one (13-14 inches). What did your doctor do? I used doctor Barbaro and I look like I got bit by a shark! But I'm totally happy with the outcome so far.

Margie

Margie: My inscission seems very "small" compared to yours..Mine is about 4-5 inches??
At other times though it felt as big as yours>>I guess when I streched it accidentally (moving without thinking), it would get aggravated and the pain was back in the leg and butt!!!
I guess I have to learn to "think" before I do "Normal" things...
But as we all know... we all want to be "better/normal" now!!! But as my family and friends and this forum even says...Even though it has been 4 weeks..You did have major surgery..Give it time..I am trying!! I just wish I could put my socks and shoes on by myself. :) But that kind of bending just is Not happening right now..Hurts too much. :( It just Aggravates the butt muscle and left hamstring :( I know I will need to start some stretching soon,but one day at a time :|
Candy

Hi Candy, welcome. I, too, am wondering what your doctor did. Was it the tendon release, whole muscle out, cut in half, did he examine your sciatic nerve, etc?

Thanks,
Julie

Julie....
From what he explained to me in his office weeks before the surgery...He would go thru the Glute to the P.muscle and remove it so it does not impinge on the sciatic??? The procedure on my Hospital Discharge says,L Piriformis Release.. He told my husband everything went Great and the nerve is now decompressed..(I H :D PE) Time WILL tell....
Candy

A long over due hello to everyone. Welcome to the newbies..glad you found us, sorry you need to be here. I hope we can be an encouragement to you on your journey. Ifeel way behind since I've not been on for 2 weeks, so I won't try to address each post.

Sorry to rub it in to those of you still dealing with cold weather, but we had a great time at the beach last week, with nearly 100degree weather! We have a conference there every year, and for the first time in several years, I was able to enjoy the water, both at the beach and in the pool.

I've been trying to ignore the SI issue, but I'm going to finally have to admit that the last RF treatment did not do much good and I'm back to experiencing daily pain in the joint. My husband has been telling me I have to call my PM doctor on Monday and see what she has to say. I was so hoping ALL the pain had been dealt with by the surgery, I'm beginning to accept that I won't be able to return to "normal" and that pain, in one form or the other will probably be with me for the rest of my life. At least, the awful burning nerve pain isn't there anymore and at 6 months post surgery, I'm still glad that I had the surgery.

Margie, I can really relate to the wedding dress issue! All three of our daughters got married with in a year of each other..during the two years I was in pain! My advice to you is to take it easy! Look for the easy way of doing things and save yourself. Don't over do ahead of time so that you can't enjoy the wedding day! Our son will be getting married in July, making it all 4 kids within 2 years! Since his fiancee is from Northern ireland, guess who gets to plan this wedding as well!

Candy, I don't' really know how much you are doing post surgery, but my guess is its too much. That seems to be a tendency for those of us on this board. We all want to get back to a "normal" life and want to rush it. From the experience of most people, it takes quite a while to feel better and then with ups and downs. Keep giving your self time.

Enough for now. I'm hoping you are all taking one day at a time and keeping your chins up and looking for the good things in life. If anyone wants, I'll be glad to share some of this hot weather with you.

Donna

Menzie thank you for your support and kind words. It really helps to hear some positive, supportive comments on this page. I have been considering what my options are. The SCS is out of the picture since the PM won t even do a trial now. At this point I m waiting to talk with my ortho who said he wanted to consult with another ortho at the university medical center. As for PM, I don t know what I m going to do. Around here it s really hard to get another PM to even see you. You re considered doctor shopping and drug seeking if you look for another one. All I want is to have less pain and a medical professional to be understanding, compassionate and help me treat this pain. Better yet, treat the source of the pain so I can be done with it (I hope.), have my life back and be back to some sort of normal. I think the docs get frustrated and angry when none of their injections heal the patient so they just want to wash their hands of the patient/challenging case. Oh, they also frown on any information the patient obtains by Googling. I m thankful I m at least on the Neurontin and Daypro and the weather has improved. At least everyone on this site understands the frustration/anger with all of this.

Menzie it s great to hear that your dtr is doing so much better. It sounds like everyone has good and bad days but at least she s seen some positive and as a mother, I know that also brightens up your day. Please take care of yourself.

Margie,
Sorry about the RF confusion. It s hard to remember what everyone has said after reading multiple posts. It s great hearing how well you re doing it gives the rest of us hope. Is your incision about 7 inches? I know Filler tries to do a very small incision but seven inches sounds awfully big! Anyway, enjoy the great weather and the walk/run! It sounds like the marathon wedding dress shopping and playing doctor with your meds really woke up the pain! I can t even imagine getting a massage in that area. My dtr is getting married May 17th and I still haven t picked out my dress. I ve been able to get through quick grocery shopping but I dread trying to shop for a dress. In the past, it was nothing for us to shop 12 hrs straight. Those were the days. How are the wedding plans coming along? I hope she finds a wedding dress soon it s getting close! Maybe she can go with her bridesmaids to look for a wedding dress and then show you the best 3 or 4?? That s what my dtr ended up doing because there was just no way I could do it. The one she picked is beautiful, of course, and is ready for us to pick up.

Leesa,
Sorry to hear that your pain is way back up. It sounds like you ve been pushing yourself more than your body is ready for at this point. Trying to work either before surgery or during the recovery phase seems to be impossible in most cases so perhaps that is the reason for the flare. Is there any way you can take off work for a little bit to see if that helps? Is it better during the weekend or on days you don t have to work? Hang in there and let us know what Filler says.

Brent,
Welcome aboard! I was wondering if anyone would show up. This is a great group of people that really care and understand what you re going through. Thanks for the info on the SCS. It s my understanding that a 50% pain reduction is considered a success with the SCS so it sounds like you re one of the lucky ones. Don t get me wrong I know you said you re still on oral meds but at least it s better. I can understand with all the other reasons for your pain, why the SCS was chosen but in my case, I just want the PS treated. Yes, there are other PM docs in the Louisville area but they re so tight with each other, I think I m going to see about finding one closer to me in a smaller town. That would also cut down the travel/sitting time which gets me in the butt with pain and gas prices.

David, please don t apologize for venting on here. That s what we re here for support and to learn for one another. You ve have helped us in so many ways with your posts so please keep us updated on your progress and your flares.

HG/Lynn,
Good to hear from you again but sorry to hear about all the pain you re having. Keep us posted on what Filler says or does. I ll say an extra prayer for you.

Julie, good to hear from you. I think it s 27 days and counting. It ll be here before you know it. Just keep remembering how great it was to finally hear that you did have PS and you weren t imagining the pain.

Preacherman,
Welcome to the forum but sorry to hear about the resurgence of intense pain. Do you think the stretching made it worse? I m no doc but I wouldn t have done any stretching post-op until your doc says so. You re still in the healing phase. From what I m hearing on here, your body needs several more months of healing.

Aztec,
I had RF ablation of the L2-S1 facet joints and it did help my low back pain some. It didn t do a thing for the butt pain which wasn t a surprise. I have deep burning pain in my butt that s always there but is much worse with sitting. Ice and lying down helps it. I also have numbness down the back of my thigh but that usually just when I m sitting.

Candy,
Glad you found us but sorry you have PS. I live just outside KY so I m very interested in the doc that did your surgery and what was done. Did he use MR Neurography?

Donna,
Sorry to hear about the joint pain. Did you have an SI injection and the RF? I think we re all coming to the conclusion that there will be a new normal for us. Congratulations, I guess, on the weddings! I can t imagine having to plan all of those in the midst of this pain. Try to stay positive and optimistic. The burning pain is much better and the PM will have an answer to the other pain. Right? Right!

You have now completed Chapter 1 of this saga. I ll try to stay more current to avoid the long posts.

I wrote Chapter 1 and forgot to sign it. Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.

Debbie

Debbie,

Glory be! We have a wedding dress!! She ordered 8 dresses online and they all came on the same day. She tried them all on today for me and a couple of her friends and everyone (including my daughter) picked the same dress! A clear winner!! One less task to attend to now!

Margie

P.S. My incision with Dr. Barbaro was 13 or 14 inches long with 40 staples. It'll be tough to miss on all those nude beaches I frequent. HA! The only nude beach I've been to was by accident. It took a few moments to figure out "what's different about this beach?" and once I figured it out I couldn't wait to get out of there! It's made for great stories over the years, though!

Ronnyjotten - how was recovery, and has it helped with the pain? By this post it was over a year ago, and I am scheduled to have the piriformis release done this month by Dr Keppler. I don’t k is what to expect as far as post op pain???? Can you I do me?
Thanks
Barb

Thanks
Barb

Ladybughurts, I read your chapter one and loved it. I am so sorry that the PM drs are not treating the whole person. It really bothers me that you are purchasing their expertise, yet they treat you like you are a "drug seeker." It is really a fouled up system. All they have to do is prescribe you the meds and then do random testing to make sure you have the prescribed amount and the proper prescriptions in your system. That way it is proof positive with responsible usage. Not that I advocate this type of policing. But many doctors are really not educated in the fields of pain, even some PM drs. It is kind of like the disability laws. Where are the benches in the public bldgs for the people who can not sit??? There are ramps, entrances ect, but this is a disability that unless you have the misfortune to have or are close to, no one can really comprehend. Sitting-I long for the day when I observe my D doing this seemingly easy activity. If we ever get rid of Freddy Kruger in her but I will dance everyday. :)

She had the one good day this week, then yesterday she called me at work and said she had a pop in her but. She was terrorfied that something broke or came undone from the surgery. Being at work and trying to function with 25 students learning a new game, I was slightly overwhelmed. I did not even want to come home and face the latest what next???? She is just really freaked out because she felt a real pop, and we have not a clue what it could be. I am hoping maybe it was a spasmed area finally giving in and letting us win. Wouldn't that be great. As to her activity, we have her walk up to a mile if she is able. Some days we do the whole mile, others she makes it around the block. No stretching. Which isn't to hard because she is afraid of this whole thing not working. I wish she could show some signs of sitting without increased pain. It's hard for me and her to gage her pain levels because she has to lay on the couch or her bed. I have to say, her movements look good. 25 days post-op. She should have been having her 4 week post-op with Filler this coming up week. They were booked out until May 9th. The office called us several times to answer questions that we had during the first two weeks and the doctor got back to us when her pain seemed increased due to the medrol pack. But he and our neuro said it was just a coincidence. She is not so irritable since she ended the pack. :D I appreciate everyones posts. It is just about 10:30 so good night, I am off to do some reading.

Preacherman and Candy:

Ditto what everyone else said, welcome and sorry you both have to be here. We re just a bunch really bad butts needing each other to get by so I hope you both find some answers to PS and answers/identification from some of us.

Debbie:

I think working again and trying to live normally (grocery shop, having dinner with friends, etc.) is aggravating it but I do rest quite a bit in between. So, who knows? I think the fact that after surgery, I was really, really careful and did almost nothing but lie down which made me feel better. Now that I m easing back into reality the pain has returned. I d like to take the next 3 months off if you want to know the truth but that s not going to happen. Good to hear from you and I m sorry you are getting the run-around. I m hoping you find a doctor who will listen to you and treat you properly.

Donna:

All I can say is uuurrgggghhh. I think you are right (and so is David), that we might have to just accept the fact that we may be in some level of pain and just pray that it s less and less. Glad your nerve pain hasn t come back ..it IS the worst part of this whole thing.

Menzie:

I m surprised to hear your D is walking a mile. Is her nerve pain (down the leg) gone? There s no way I could walk a mile right now and I m almost at the 3 month mark. I think our bodies tell us when we can or can t push it. Unfortunately sometimes we don t find this out until after we push it. So what happened with the pop ? You are a very strong woman and your D is very lucky to have you.

That s it for me, gotta go to sleep now.

Leesa

Just to let you know, I did not do any stretching. So lets clear that up right now. I'm following the doc's orders to the letter concerning what to do after surgery. Kinda reminds me of when they said mark twain was dead and he responded "the report of my death has been greatly exarrated. (can't spell)

The report of my stretching fits his remark!
Thanks :D