My son had a hemorrhoidectomy 10 days ago -- he's 32 yrs old -- anyway he popped his stitches about 3 days ago -- went to  ER and doc said to wait until he sees his surgeon Monday --- no sign  of infection -- no bleeding -- and now no pain just wondering if any of u popped all ur stitches and what was done about it ?? Thanks for ur help --

I find it unsual that the stitches wouldn't have dissolved before than.  If the ER doctor is ok with his situation, then his surgeon will probably leave it alone as well.  Healing would have started and if there is no infection, he will be ok.  If he has no pain, great!  Usually people that have had a hemorrhoidectomy suffer from pain, especially upon defaction for about a month after the surgery.  I would say it sounds like he is doing great with his post-surgery healing.  Are there any others that have had good or bad experiences with a hemorrhoidectomy?  Anybody have stitches come undone?

I am on day 7 and was horrified to find that my stitches had come "undone" and left me with about a half inch around open wound. I called my doctor (after hours) in panic mode. Doctor on call was not concerned. He told me that some surgeons choose not to use any stitching at all and leave all wounds open. I have my first post op follow up tomorrow, so I'll see what my doctor says. I have a feeling it is normal and will be left alone. The stitches are meant to be dissolvable (coming out usually between 7-14 days). I had it in my head that the wounds would be much more closed and healed before the stitches dissolved. I also had no more pain, no extra bleeding, and I'm pretty sure I am infection free. Doctor in the phone said not to do anything differently. Keep doing baths and keep it as dry and clean as possible otherwise. Hope this helps. Doctors do not prepare you for the recovery and what to expect with this surgery!

AMEN TO THAT! 9 days postop and yearning to have any glimmer of my life back.

using a bottle to squirt water in the area is what i did
it was the best thing i could do
it was a type u use to squeeze out stuff
just put water in it. and squeeze away

Had the procedure 6 days ago. No pain, no infection. Haven't needed paracetamol or laxatives. Salt water soaks. Walked 5 miles yesterday.

I had this done last Wednesday so I'm 5 days after but I seem to be getting more horrible pain, it seems that a stitch came off and it seems that there is a hole beside your own hole and it seems everytime I have a bowel moment I keep wiping and wiping like it will never end so I soak in the bath tub, my doctor told me to go in two weeks but do I wait? I'm afraid of infection, I really appreciate your response Sylvia

Agreed. I had suregery December 17, 2017. I had horrible pain, nearly to the point if pain. I called the docs; however, being the holidays docs are scarce). I finalliy got to see the doctor on the 29th, I learned I had a popped stitch. The source of the extra paun was the suture wrapped around ny insides. He cut the suture abd Im muvh more comfortable. There should be a warning. I'll think twice before having "holiday surgery" again.

This is an old post but also just wanted to confirm your statement in saying that doctor do not prepare you for the recovery after this operation! At all, whatsoever, was I ever prepared for this.

Hi Sylvia
I am on day 10 post hemorroidectomy (and fissurectomy). I am having a similar issue as yours (hole beside the hole type thing). Could you tell me what happened in the end for you? Did it go back to normal?
Thanks.

I had hemorrhoid surgery this past Tuesday so far no pain and no infection. I didn't even have to take pain meds. I don't remember if I have stitches are not.I popped out my packing the next day. I'm having lot of gas which they say is a good sign means bowel are returning to normal..I do hope I never have to do it again.

Don’t believe that is possible, no pain meds then walking 5 miles just days later. Maybe you were tricked and you really never had the surgery. They put you under and woke you up and said your all done making you think they did something.