I tell my son that he can get one when he is 18. I certainly don't talk it down because I know the minute I talk something down, he'll prolly want it more.

I talk about the pros and cons.

my parents ruled with an iron fist, in what "appeared" to outsiders as a "loving, but firm" discipline. I can tell you from firsthand experience that it didn't go as planned. My older brother snuck around to do things but very often got caught. He moved out of the house entirely too early. I did the same things but learned how to avoid getting caught. Our younger brother did the same things and more and got away with it. My parents would probably tell you now that all 3 of us are disappointments in one way or another. I know that in spite of achieving many great things, all 3 sons have abandoned much of the beliefs that my parents worked so hard to instill in us. Yet, none of us are horrible people, or would in the least bit be considered failures.
I for one, have found it better to talk, rather than to dictate.

Kidlets! 8O

We told our kidlets that the rule was no unusual piercings or tattoos under 18. We talked about the pros and cons of them, why we thought they shouldn't do it/get them, and what the consequences would be if they did. My son got a tattoo as soon as he could ( :x ), my middle daughter pierced her nose ( :x ), and the youngest hasn't done anything yet. I don't like tattoos, I don't like unusual piercings and I would never condone my kidlets getting them. As adults they can choose, and then I keep my mouth shut. I am, however, looking forward to the day when I can say, "I told you so!"

Why do you ask?

I have one, both my kids names are on it. My son (7) couldn't care less about it, my daughter likes it cause her name is on it.

As far as them wanted one, I dont think I have to worry about that for awhile. But I tend to side with jrjo on it.

As far as pain goes, to me it seemed more of an annoyance than pain.

I had my nose pierced when I was younger and my kids know it. They've made comments about getting tattoos and piercings and I always said that when you're 18 and I'm not paying your bills, you can do what you want.

Here in PA, you need a parental consent to get a tattoo if you are under 18

Well PH,

Both of my kids have tattoo's, but they were at least 17 before I would sign, and only for one, and only when they had spent a lot of time thinking about it. Now that they are older, Amy has two, and Jr has about 8. I do have the "my house - my rules" system in effect...even now that they are adults...more or less.

I only want about 1 more...that should make it an even 50 or so :P I do however keep them out of sight for work and social events where they would not be appropriate. I do have some class...just a little

I do agree that you need to think about each one, and be sure that it is what you would want 10-20-30 years down the road. I would advise against names, unless it is your kids.

If anyone needs advice about body art or peircings...just PM me. I'm sort of an art gallery :wavey:

Thanks for explaining. I'll infer that you're sorry now that you did that when younger(?) If you object to them getting one, tell them so and why. Sometimes the thorough "why" is difficult to articulate.
As minors, I would object to the permanency of tatoos, less so for piercings.

User avatar 2 posts

Well, this is their decision, but they're definitely going to have to wait until they are 18. I know that it's better to wait longer before getting tattoos exactly because I have them. When you're young, your brain is still developing and so are your likes and dislikes. It's easy to end up with a tattoo you'll regret forever, and tattoo removal doesn't come cheap and isn't easy. Better to wait until later, even 25 or 30. I'd definitely steer them away from trendy tattoos or girlfriend's/boyfriend's names, etc.