Apprentice
It may be anxiety. Most people have anxiety after quitting but for some it never goes away. There are several health problems that smoking masks and show up after quitting. Have you been to a doctor? They don't always help (I know all about that) but sometimes you get lucky and have a quick answer for the problem. Best wishes.

Been to the docs plenty of times and they say its most likely anxiety too but the funny thing is im not an anxious person. I worry about normal things but am a glass half full guy most of the time. U say for some it doesnt go away, im hopin it goes away but for the length this has happened im thinking its gotta be either somthing more to it, as you say a masked problem, or something that can be sorted out, but how ? Many thanks for the reply.

I quit 10 months ago after 41 years of smoking. I experienced a lot of the same symptoms as others have posted here. However, I thought I would be coughing up c**p as my lungs cleared and I have not.

Two years in I have not coughed up anything. Everyone does it differently. I think it pushed out of my lungs and into my stomach and out the other end. Causing my bouts of acid reflux and um the runs....

Me too quit Cold Turkey for coming to 2 years..what I suspect is that we are people with weak mentality to handle daily stress etc.. All the while we are using cigarette to cover up our stress and now we are having anxiety disorder..

I dont know why doctors say cigerretes increase anxiety where as i only came to know that there is something called anxiety after quitting cigerettes. When i was smoking i never knew how stress/anxiety feels like

My wife and I stopped smoking almost 2 months ago. We have been experiencing cold/flu like symptoms ever since. Nervousness, anxiety, short temper...feelings of lethargy, weakness, both mental and physical. We have lack of focus and trouble sleeping. I quit a heroin addiction 22 years ago. Quitting smoking is more difficult. Due to the fact that a smoker smokes for decades, whereas a heroin addiction usually only lasts for 5 to 8 years before you either quit or die. Smoking is more deeply ingrained in your entire being. I think it might even have a dramatic effect your DNA replication. The mental aspect of tobacco addiction is the toughest thing to overcome. Tobacco companies must take responsibility.

Don't worry, all of these symptoms will pass. I quite smoking 57 years ago, and it was the best thing I have ever done. I have not had a cold in 57 years, or the flu.

I quit 12 years ago after smoking for forty. I have asthma and copd because of the smoking I started when I was 11.
I prayed everyday every minute , my husband quit 2 weeks later. It does get better. Let your body heal.
All your symptoms are similar to the ones I had. Remember to breathe.
You’ve got this.
Other people smoking does not bother me unless I’m on their exhale path then I just cough. I still love the smell of a burning cigarette but can’t stand the smell of an ashtray.
You’ve taken control, relax and take it one day at a time. Breathe deep it relieves stress

What made u come back to this site after 12 years of quitting? R u planning to start again?

Hi Kathy, u r very quite for some time , looks like u have started smoking again :) , keep us posted..

Hey mate, have u started smoking?

Been reading this thread for over an hour. Glad i'm not dying.

Im on almost near at my 3 years quitting smoking, sometimes I still exp chest pain dunno if it due to heartburn or what

Just hit three years a few days ago. All the symptoms I was having, acid reflux, shortness of breath etc have all faded away. Quitting is a physical heal, but just as much a mental heal too. Body and mind both have to let go of the sh*t. Keep busy doing what you love, if no hobby, find one. Focus on good and stay with it. the rest will fall into place. Stay strong and never go back.