Hi, I had controlled asthma for years, diagnosed as a child, I then started smoking when I went on holiday, however this was really for about 5 days, however since then I have had a constant wheeze which my inhalers will not get rid of, I have not smoked anything since, this has been going on for about 2 months now, and there has been little improvement, I have also had 3 courses of oral steroids, and this did little to help as well. Anyone offer any light on when my asthma will if ever return back to normal?

Hi I am experiencing the same symptoms and going through the same type of problems. I have been smoking for 25 years and have always been ok. Lateley this winter, has especially been troublesome for me. I have never in my life had so much difficulty breathing in my entire life. I am very concerned! It has been about 3 weeks since I've smoked and still nothing has changed, other than the fact that I am worried more now about being ok thanks ever. I was a chronic marijuana smoker and have recently stopped. I have had panic attacks so often that I think I am going to die. Things are definitely not looking good. I have a nebulizer machine that I feel that I am over using and am very concerned. This cough is not going away and the rightness in my chest is not familiar, I have been coughing up stuff but not enough to make a difference. I have been taking allergy, water pill medications to see if I some how can make a difference But has only very little progress, I am curious to ask! Have you recently or in the past year takin singular maintenance inhaler? Very serious question! I would like to hear from you to find out more.I two have no health insurance and am frustrated! Please reply. Thanks basil

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I also have asthma, which was well controlled until I stopped smoking. It is completely out of control right now. I have been using the nebulizer machine and was even rushed to the hospital once this week. My doctor expects it to get better as the lungs have to heal themselves. So you are not alone in those physical symptoms. But I can not answer when it will get back to normal, as I am in the early stages of quitting smoking.

After a year of quitting smoking I have developed a condition within my lungs. No one has actually called it asthma but doctors have given me inhalers which help temporarily. The last week though, my cough and breathing has gotten out of control! I am heading to Doc this morning to see what can be done. I have never had asthma in my life. Why, after quitting smoking, would I develope this condition??

I myself just today had copd asthma attack while going to the store. Before I actually turned into the parking lot. I began to feel wheezy. Once I stopped I was able to place the car. (a 2015 Camry that belongs to my sister. Park it right. And was coherent and responsive throughout the whole ordeal. After I had thrown up about 5 or 6 times. I decided to exit the car. Thereafter my chest began to tighten to the point that I couldn't breathe. It as if had I stopped moving. I would have died immediately. Because I felt my system shutting down. I promise it is the product of a rapid decision to quit smoking

When I started smoking (again) 9 years ago, I stopped using my inhaler, no asthma attacks. I was a casual smoker, mostly when I got home from work and weekends. I have had very mild Asthma and used an inhaler every few months but found I stopped having attacks when I started smoking. I just quit smoking a few weeks ago and my asthma is worse than it ever was before. I was hoping this would go away but now that I read all these posts I'm scared its going to get worse. If someone finds an answer to this, please reply.

That's the thing that makes me so sad! They don't tell you about this when you talk to the Quit Smoking organisations. I have days when I do very well, but at night, I wake up with full-blown asthma attacks. I don't sleep well anymore, because I have to take asthma medicine in the middle of the night, and it is an "upper" for my system. I won't smoke again, but I hope this improves.

I had asthma when I was younger, when I started smoking it went away completely. I no longer have asthma problems and I would like to know why that is.

Hi. I also did quit smoking and yes i got lots of breathing problems; asthma all the hell together. Im ending up sitting all the time cause even walking is a fatigue. Its a nightmare

I think this is old but I am 20 years old and have been in icu three times almost got intubated all of those times due to asthma and smoking. The reason it gets so bad when you quit is because everything that was not working due to cigarettes is now functioning again. So it's pushing all the tar and gross gunk out of you're lungs
It can be a long process or OT can be quick it took almost 2 months for me to be able to breathe properly after I quit. I had to be in the hospital the whole time after I quit because it got so bad. Daily breathing exercise can help and lung steroid inhalers do wonders.

Wondering if you congestion and asthma went away. I am 4 months quit and experiencing this for the entire time I quit. I am wondering when this will end.

My Dr started me on Singulair about a month ago and I have been starting to have Nose Bleeds and a lot more Anxiety than normal...I'm wondering if its the Singulair causing my problems as well.