I was 59 years old and had to go in to get five bypasses. We thought everything went fine and I went home for two days and had to be rushed back to the hospital, two of the bypasses had closed and they went back in and put a stent in one and couldn’t do anything with the other one . My EF was only 15% so they sent me to Lexington to get a heart transplant, before they could do anything my incision started leaking infection I had caught Serratia. It was so bad that they told my daughter not to expect me to make it off the table but they had to take my sternum out also. I was on such strong anabiotic‘s that it messed my kidneys up and I had to take dialysis. They put me in a coma for a week also. That was two years ago and I still can’t do anything for being so weak and can’t breathe. They used a pectoral muscle and a muscle out of the right side of my stomach to try to make a flap.

I am a newbie , had a cabbage 2 yrs ago.got MRSA a week after surgery, went in took my plates out..lots of debridement (14) , now they want to take my sternum, I am 60 yrs old female, how long does surgery take for this kind of surgery.

My husband had his sternum removed 7 1/2 years ago do to Agent Orange tumor. He was on heavy pain meds until last year. Tens 3 times a day and 4 5mg 4 times. When you don't have the pain under control it stresses your body out. Took my husband awhile to believe me. You have to take it before the pain starts. Once he understood this his quality of life improved. He is down to one long acting 10mg Oxycontin and 5-325mg Oxycodone afternoon. He uses Lidocaine Ointment 5%. Rx when he has been active. He will also use the 5mg if more pain med is needed. Hope this helps