I had surgery on my right ear for the second time as my hearing had deteriored and become muffled in January 2015. The surgeon had informed me the loop on the original piston had come loose and was pinched and attached firmer to the bone. After surgery I woke in agony just as before but made sure I asked for pain killers straight away this time. I was wheeled to my ward two hours after recovery and was amazed how much sound I could hear. Went home and rested but still was in teribble pain for 5 days my hearing was fantastic but muffled and the odd pulsing noises and the loss of taste buds in my mouth still present. On the 6th day everything changed and my hearing deteriored back to my original hearing before surgery which was not being able to hear hardly the receiver of the phone on my right ( became really faint resulting in me to return the phone to my left ear which was successfully operated on back in 2005 ) my ear had become very squelchy and still very painful. On the 8th day pain had subsided and but still squelchy and blocked by the afternoon stabbing pains had returned and phoned the hospital to get a emergency appointment as I would like some answers to my pain or whether I have a ear infection, which quite frankly I'm not sure if I'm over reading people's comments) will keep you informed. My packing isn't due to come out until another 12 days. Please do not be put off my my post I don't regret giving the operation another go and I know it's still early days.

My operation was done 53 years ago and the past 15 years my hearing decreased. I saw the Consultant today and the upshot is I cannot have an MRI scan if the tubing inserted all those years ago is metal. I now have to wait until he communicates with the original Hospital who performed the operation. In ten years my hearing in the right ear has decreased substantially and it could be down to the fact the tubing has slipped. In the meantime he reckons the hearing aids will suffice.

Thank you so much for all of your wise insight!

Yes the purring and blown speaker is still continuing. January will be three years since the surgery and I found out today the Dr wants to remove the prosthetic and put in a new one....I'm going to do it and I pray this fixes it. I was asked today if I wanted to do the left ear and I very quickly replied absolutely not. I will make do with a hearing aid once I lose that ear completely. This has been torture : (

It has been interesting to read all of your posts. I see some similarities in our experiences and also that we each have different experiences. I had to have the surgery because was experiencing permanent nerve damage from the otosclerosis and need meds to slow its progression and I can't get the meds til the diseased bone is out in both ears. I had the disease for several years until this point. This year I sought more doctor advice as I was regularly experience vertigo and balance issues, which I had not had prior. The vertigo seemed exacerbated by sinus headaches or pressure changes.

The surgery was on Jan 24. I've had other surgeries and remembered the pain. The pain on this one seemed like an ear infection. I heard noises when I woke up from that ear. If I moved in different ways I felt like a one degree shift in eyesight followed by vertigo. I slept a lot the first week. I felt like I had a migraine on the side of the surgery on third day. There was vertigo in laying down on the bed and in getting up from laying down on the sofa.

On the sixth day I felt pretty good so I went by myself to the pharmacy to get a prescription. While standing in line, I felt really hot. I began to sweat profusely. The lights became brighter. I thought I was going to pass out. Needless to say the pharmacy got my drugs to me in seconds. I called the doctor and was told this is completely normal. I decided to delay anymore driving until the 2 week mark and delayed returning to work. This experience scared me.

On the nineth day, I experienced swelling, and horrible jaw pain. Again, dr said this was normal and my ear was healing well. Sound came and went. To wash my hair, I used Saran Wrap around my ear and a cup.

On the third week, I got the stomach flu. This really scared me, as the rapid rate at which fluids were coming out and how quickly I had to move I felt would cause disruption from the surgery. It took me a week to recovery from the stomach flu.

On the fourth week, I experienced a lot of popping of the ear. When the ear popped, it was immediately followed by a second of vertigo. I had a hearing test on the fourth week and had regained 20 decibels of sound and am told I will continue to gain.

Sound still comes and goes. I was disappointed to still hear the tinnitus, which at times is louder than others. The doctor said the tinnitus is from the permanent nerve damage.

This is the fifth week, and I have some pain infrequently in the ear. I'm not wearing hearing aids and can hear things I haven't heard before and also sometimes struggle hearing certain lower tones or when people talk too fast.

I'm thrilled there is a surgery to help with this. And I'll be nervous to do my left ear next year. I hope all goes well with it.

Hi folks,

I’m a 31 year old male living in San Diego,CA and recently diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears. I’ve been given the option of going through the stapedotomy surgery or using hearing aids.

I met with Dr. Harris at UCSD who seems to have considerable experience with this surgery. I’m still in two minds about going for the surgery because of the 1% chance of failure and complications. So, I’m reaching out to see if anybody else has got the surgery done in San Diego, through him or someone else and how the experience was or if you faced any complications or lasting discomforts.
If the surgery was successful, how soon did the improvement in hearing show up?

Thanks for all the support and info on this forum.

I also have otosclerosis in both ears. I have been wearing hearing aids for a couple of years. I just had surgery on my right ear one week ago. Post-op I think things are running about average for me. I didn't find this to be a terribly painful procedure and have had nothing beyond ibuprofen or acetaminophen after the first 24 hours. I feel very lucky that I have virtually no balance issues. I did think that I could hear the first day post op but by day two it was gone. One week later I have virtually no hearing in my operated ear (still wearing hearing aid in left or I'd be in big trouble). I'm not going to lie, this is causing some stress. However, I have heard that some people are hearing once the inner packing removed which for me will be in 4 more days and I do feel like I can kind of hear my own voice at least when I speak. I am remaining hopeful. I can hear my heart beating quite loudly in my right ear all the time and am assuming this will diminish as swelling goes down. I do have the tongue/taste nerve damage and my sense of taste is greatly diminished, I also have some tingling/numbness on my tongue and my cheek, nose, eyebrow area on the right side. Not totally numb, just like when the freezing is coming out after the dentist. My surgery was a stapedotomy which seems to have fewer negative outcomes concerning balance than the stapendectomy. Hearing aids did allow me to hear, but they are not perfect - can't get wet, cost, batteries, appointments, etc.
Still waiting for the hearing to show up. I had one of the best surgeons for this procedure available in BC (Canada) so I am relatively confident with his abilities. Good luck with your decision.

Ok everyone, I had the second surgery in March and everything went perfect. No virtigo this time. No draining, popping, droning sounds, pain or anything. A 100% success, and I am so glad now that I decided to do the second surgery. I was told the prosthetic had slipped slightly, and that there was some scar tissue and bone fragments in there that were causing the problems. I'd imagine those fragments were from the first surgery. I have eustation tube problems as well, so I'm going to guess that those fragments would normally leave the ear through that route, but mine do not allow proper drainage so they were stuck in the ear. I go for a hearing test in July, but I can tell you my hearing has improved greatly. Good luck to everyone : )

Update to my post from 2017-03-09. I had the remaining packing removed 5 days ago. I could hear immediately. What a relief! For me those 11 days post op were more of a psychological challenge than a physical one worrying if all hearing had been lost. My hearing is pretty good ever since I'd say; my first hearing test will be June 15. I can hear things that I clearly haven't heard in years. In the first 24 hours I heard 4 planes fly overhead - I wasn't even aware of not hearing these before. I now know that our stove makes a sound when you turn it on which I mentioned to my husband and daughter who informed me laughing that it has always done that (we bought it 2 years ago). So all in all, I'd say its a success. I'm not sure that it has done anything for the tinnitus; because I have it in both ears and the left has always been louder I can't totally tell if it is gone in the right. Had some blood show up in my ear 2 weeks post op, 3 days after having the packing removed, which was unexpected. I went in to a local clinic and had a dr take a look to ensure that the ear drum was still totally attached. He said it looked good and that there was dried blood in there that would likely be working its way out over time.
It's not a lot to report but I know how I was desperate for any and all information both pre add post op. Best of luck to everyone with surgery and/or recover. In 6 months or so I will certainly be considering doing the other ear.

Did it improve? I am feeling the same way, but am only 4 days out. The ringing is louder!

I had my stapendectomy two months ago with great success. I carried out doctor's instructions and was at rest for the first 4 weeks doing nothing. Still I am due two weeks of not lifting any heavy objects and heavy exercises. I gained hearing withing the first week after total hearing loss in the right ear. Although at first it was very feint due to all die cotton in my ear I could hear sound again. I will definitely do my left ear when the time arrives. Suggestion: STRICTLY FOLLOW THE SURGEONS INSTRUCTIONS and be patient.

I had my second stapedectomy about 3 weeks ago, hearing is great, but I recently developed numbness on my tongue and extreme mouth dryness with ongoing thirst, hoping it will go away in the coming months.

Sir after how many months of stapedectomy you were allowed to lift heavy items upto 30kgs and play games such as football

I had a stapedectomy 3 weeks ago. Am also experiencing the mechanical and blown speaker sounds! Was wondering if any one else had that happening. That's the main reason I got on this post. Not glad that anyone else has this problem, but it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one!

How about now? Did your hearing improve?