I was going through the same symptoms for a long time and was originally diagnosed with GERD and IBS. It was just recently that my GP tested me for H pylori test and came out positive. I am now taking medications for it and my symptoms are much better that it was.

Hi.  I have been having the same exact symptoms as are described on this board.  Briefly, I cannot get a full breath of air on inspiration.  I can do it sometimes by mouth by gasping or by yawning.  I had the flu and was coughing a lot.  I felt pain in my ribs and was probably close to pulling a muscle in my groin.  I went to a chiropractor as I felt that it could be a rib out of place.  There were two ribs ot of place, but subluxation did not resolve the breathing issue.  I have been to so many doctors now, had some many tests.  I'm currently on short term disability because of my breathing.  I have panic attacks when I drive, I'm uncomfortable going anywhere.  My quality of life is at an all time low.  I was also diagnosed with gastritis and GERD.  The interesting thing is that I noticed that when I belched, sometimes I could get a full breath.  Also (as provided above) often I can get a full breath when I yawn.  My primary care doctor thinks this is all in my head, anxiety -- I've pumped up with all sorts of anxiety meds, anti-depressants, etc.  Even my wife thinks it's all in my head, which I can assure you it is not.  Anxiety is a result of the breathing condition, not the cause of it. 

I have not yet read through all these posts.  I just came across this blog today.  I have been frantically searching for information for months and it looks like this blog post hit the nail on the head.  Please if you are reading this, understand that I am suffering greatly.  I pray to God everyday that this can be resolved.  I feel that traditional medicine has failed me.  My PCP seems to enjoy e-mailing me that my test results that day came back "completely normal."  I am not working now, going to doctor's appointments all the time.  Been to ENTs, gastros, physiatrist, chiropractors, massage therapy, psychiatrist, psychologist, endocrinologist, etc.  If you have contributed to this site and have some ideas about what is the cause, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.  I have been keeping a journal of my symptoms and potential causes in an effort to track things and will likely share this with others on this board.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks, John L.

Are you cure from this problem

Hello all....

I went through this a couple times, however mine was accompanied by stomach pain, gas and change in some of my bowel habits (usually harder to go) Over the years, whenever this has happened, I've always found that facing it, improving my diet and exercising, resolved it. I think each person may be having these symptoms for different reasons, but in my case I think it's a mix of stomach issues related to past antibiotic use screwing up the balance of gut flora and stress. That's why, for me, when my diet has been fairly balanced/healthy and my exercise program has been consistent, I've never had this issue.

I've recently gained weight and haven't been working out, because of a concussion and post concussion syndrome, which has finally resolved. The issue came back and now I'm back to getting myself in shape. I've also seen a GI doctor, who believes the culprit COULD be SIBO, which, for me, makes sense. Essentially, some foods are capable of fermenting in the digestive system where they don't belong and if that happens, a lot of excess gas and bloating will occur, along with indigestion and IBS like symptoms.

Good luck to everyone who is dealing with this issue. Before accepting that your anxiety is the cause, rather than a bi-product of your issues, I'd ask a doctor for a SIBO test, especially if you're having any other GI related issues. Advocate for yourself and if you do, indeed, have anxiety, there's no harm in talking with someone who may be able to provide information and alternatives to medicine, if it scares you. Get help if you need it....

I had the same problem for years, Gerd with HH and it was killing my desire to even get out of bed. Your stomach pops up through HH and then is in your chest cavity so your lungs do not inflate completely. So yall wre not crazy what your feeling is real. After years of suffering I had to have surgery, but I saw where someone recommended xanax and I totally agree. Carafate is a huge help too.

i have liver diseaa number of things
se but tonight I feel full and bloated but I feel that I can't get a good deep breath at age 67 I know it could be

If you drink coffee stop I discovered it was the coffee that was causing all the inflammation. When I gave up coffee it went way.

Stop drinking coffee m ine stopped by when I gave up coffee.

god, is not real and is a poor substitute for medical advice... If prayer actually worked the world would be a completely different place: don't you think?

I'm 31 and started a job two years ago using a computer 10 hours out of the day. During this past year I have been experiencing the tight stomach, shallow breathing and ironically an irritation in my throat that cause me to cough constantly. I also had an ovarian cyst that caused me to almost pass out. When I went to the ER I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer (do to stress). In the past year I have also stopped working out almost completely and my eating habits are awful. I know part of it is my fault. I'm am just trying to find ways to get healthy again. Any suggestions??