Need Help - Worried about possible lung damage - undiagnosed

I live in Mozambique and traveled the South of China for a month in July 2006. Since returning I had a bad case of the flu. I never got over the flu and struggled with a cough for month. Eventually the bottom of my lungs began to fell as if they were puffing and made strange noises. X-rays were clear. I used 2 sets of antibiotics. Four months later I went to a Spec Physician and he gave me Ventese 2 puffs 4 x/d and budeflam 2 x 2/d. The coughing has stopped and the lungs appear clear on x-ray is still clear. Now five months later I still can’t sleep. I can hear and feel movement in my lungs. I am not running fevers at all. Sometimes I am aware of my lungs when I sit down or walk down the stairs, I feel them. Does this make sense? I am not short of breath, and am not wheezing. I have never had asthma before. I am very worried about possible expose to something either in China or Mozambique were I believe various bacterial infections are common. We are quite far from good medical facilities. Do you have any idea what the problem is. 5 Months is just too long I feel as is I need to get this sorted sooner than later. I have never had this before. Thank you so much - Sonia Dawson

Sonia

I was wondering if you have had any luck finding out what is happening with your lungs. I have had similar symptoms for the past 2 months. My symptoms occur in my lower left lung, these are the following symptoms: - Feels as if there gurgling in my lung...i can both hear and feel it.
- Bottom of rib cage is sore
- From a lying position when i turn side to side i can feel movement in lung.

I have searched for days trying to find info with no luck, i am hoping that you have found out something.
I have spoken to my doctor and he placed me on antibiotics, they helped while i was on them but symptoms came back 4-5 days after meds were finished.
Any info would be very helpful.
Thank you

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I too have been feeling sore lower lungs, it feels as if my lower parts of my lungs are bruised(I know that its not possible, but its the best way to describe the feeling). If you happen to find an answer to your problem please reply some answers.

I also began to feel a strange gurgling and movement in the lower and rear part of my left lung. This bothered me after a few weeks as every time I would breathe I was aware of dull/watery movement and a strange feeling. Coughing did nothing to alleviate the sypmptoms and sometimes there was pain on breathing in if I was bent over. I went to A&E at my local Hospital (St Georges, Tooting) and had bloods, ECG and an x-ray all of which showed up nothing. The hospital reckoned it was muscular and sent me on my way... I explained my previous history (10 years ago had many lung collapses on my right lung which after the 4th collapse was fixed with pleura-adhesis via keyhole surgery in Guy's Hospital).
I had the pain/feeling for about 2 months and now it has gone.

Interestingly enough, when I sleep on my left side the feeling comes back for a few days but when i sleep on my back or front the feeling is gone. Very strange. I know that the feeling is definitely within my lung and the pleural space - could it be a little micro pneumo-thorax that heals itself after a couple of days? Who knows, I guess I never will... I find it most annoying when training/running/doing martial arts and my left lung gurgles within and makes me want to cough all the time. No shortness of breathe either. If I breathe in really quickly to maximum capacity there is usually a feeling a second later of a mini breathe within the base area of my left lung, a kind of one second delay as I feel that part of my lung expand/shift or do something strange...

The problem has come and gone over the past 6 months and I am quite used to it now. Sorry I am unable to give an accurate description of the problem, but you can all rest assured that you are not alone.

I have been having this incredible pain on my right back lung,it's twisted and sharp.I really havent said anything to anyone because according to the doctor,its all in my head.Doctor said nothing is wrong with me ??On 10/14/02 I went to Christ Hospital for a x-ray(VQ Scan-lung scan)they found no evidence of anything then I did a inhalation test of 8.5 mci of xenon-133,which is colorless,orderless galeous so tha they can see the lung better.multiple images from the lung were taken and still nothing came up.back in 2/4/02 I had a chest-pa and lateral view (open MRI,You might as well have killed me,the sounds were so loud,pounding over and over) Chest normal ?..T

I have a similar problem and the doctor told me it is pneumothorax (collapsed lung). It didn't show up in chest xray but did in catscan so if anything try for a catscan. If it persists. This has been reacurring for over a year and finally today I went to the hospital. I have another chest xray in the near future and another doctors appointment. I was told to not exert myself, no work, no smoking and no stress or the problem will get worse. There is still a chance it could become worse and they'd have to stick a lovely chest tube in me but its a waiting game for now i suppose. Hope this helped.

Sonia Dawson wrote:

I Sonia
My opinion would def be a Collapsed lung.. I had the eaxact same problem and visited A+E Twice. Both docs said it was muscular. with both xrays coming up clear I went on as normal and on the sun i felt
i couldnt go on like that any longer.. Got a Cat scan and there it was a liitle collapse on the bottom of my left lung.. Nothing has been carried out as yet and that is 3weeks ago. Waiting on an appointment to get a lungs specialists opinion.. Hope this helps. Take Care

What about schistosomiasis or some other parasitic infection?

OMG you are literally describing my feeling in my lleft ung. its been so frustrating. My mind went all over the place. Couldnt figure it out and doctors said was muscular. It is incredible just how accurate your description is. Good job at describing because I have been literally at a loss of words. It started when I breathed in some paint remover and then went sore for a couple of days. wonder what it could be. I figure some type of allergy?? because it comes and goes.

I have these symptoms, my doctor said it could have been acid reflux but im sure whatever this is caused the acid reflux amongst these other feelings in the chest area I have noticed smoking less helps i am sure it started due to smoking as I was fine until I took two puffs of this polish backy 2 pound for 50 grams, as apose to the 18 pound in the shop, since that day I have had these symptoms on and off regular depending on my efforts smoking etc I hope somebody finds the cure soon, I see from my research antibiotics can help but have not had the chance to speak with my doctor yet.

I worked in China 3 years. Worst thing I ever did in my life is to go to China. My lungs are now damaged too. I hear a whooshing sound in my lungs. It is not wheezing or the normal sick-lung sounds. I can't breathe at all when I lie on my left side. I use Albuterol every day and a course of prednisone once a month. I am often breathless. Don't ever go back to China again!

3 months ago I broke 5 ribs and punctured lung. I always get sick feeling and really loud gurgling sound from left lung. Sometimes it feels warm and it's really worrying , what is this please help?

Literally the exact same thing happened to me after falling off a roof 7 months ago and I still get the gurgling and feeling of warmth and movement in my left lung, I punctured it when I broke my ribs so I have a feeling it’s bevause i smoke a lot and didjt give my lung enough time to recover. Doctors told me I’m crazy nothing on scan but I feel and hear it and finally caught video evidence. They still deny me. Take antibiotics they say. I ruptured my spleen I have to take them for life doctors are o help stay all. If I was you I would literally just either get over it and Gretna on with life or jump off a bridge