i said dermatologist, I meant Rheumatologist!  Already saw derm with no answers.

I would be VERY interested to know how many of the people who have replied to this topic are 1.Taking medicine for COPD or       2. Use a CPAP machine when they sleep or 3. Use eye drops regularly. I have the exact same sympyoms; but they came on out of the blue. Just looking for anything that might tie this together.

did your eyes look like they had bags under them also? Mine just appearred along with the redness. I look like an old racoon, lol

Hi, there. About three weeks ago I woke up with dark red patches under my eyes, the right one was bigger than the left. I had also had a sore spot on the left eyelid for quite awhile, like a crack. I have no known allergies and don't wear makeup, or use commercial cremes. I had no other major symtoms except maybe a mild fever and irritable. I had used some aloe vera on my face and around my eyes the night before. The only thing that seemed to help the redness was cold compresses, but it didn't last, the redness came back immediately after removing the compress. I swabbed the crack on the lid with some alcohol and that cleared up. The redness gradually got better over a couple of weeks, but never completely cleared up. Then a few days ago, I woke up with the same dark red blotches under my eyes, exactly the same shape and size as before, but also there were small sores on my eyelids and the corners of my eyes, beside my left nostril and at the corners of my mouth. I started reading some threads and tried the hydrocortezone 1% creme and an antihistamine for a couple of days, and it helped a little, but then I read on about bacterial infections causing this reddness and last night I took some Bentonite clay and did a mud pack on my face and eye lids, let it sit and dry for 5 or 10 minutes, then took a shower and washed my face and eye area with glycerine soap and warm water. (I don't usually use soap.) Within ten minutes of getting out of the shower, the redness was almost gone. I think that what has happened is the aloe vera was tainted with bacteria. I have also read that cosmetics, lotions, sunscreen, etc. once the tip of the tube or bottle touches your fingers or skin can pick up bacteria and become tainted. I don't know if it was the Bentonite or the glycerine soap and warm water that cleaned it out, but I'm going to keep using both. Better hygiene seems to be my answer and tossing out all old aloe vera gel. I grow my own aloe and stabilize it with Vit. C. but now I'll keep it in the fridge and make smaller batches. I also feel better this morning, too, not feverish nor cranky. A bacterial infection entering through the eyelashes seems to be the problem. And other places on my face where the skin was chapped or dry. We live in the desert southweast, and I spend most of the day out in the garden. I use the aloe gel all day, everyday, and I've noticed that any little nick or cut gets infected right away. I have to swab everything with alcohol, so now I think I know why now. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Did you ever get rid of this problem?

Me too same exactly what's happening to me , did anyone find out why? I'm seeing a DR. On Tuesday . Anxious .

I have the exact same problem, going on for months. No answers. I used antibiotic cream and the redness reduced but now much more swelling.