Success Story ahead...

For two months at the start of this year I couldn't taste salt or sugar and I had no idea why, I didn't even realise it happened until a month had passed and I started to really notice and piece things together looking back. I had no idea why or how it happened, or how to fix it. I don't even know how or why things eventually resolved themselves exactly 2 months later, but suddenly one day out of the blue I could taste both again.

I thought I would share what I remember that may be related to the issue, in case this information helps others. I remember how confused I was, and dying to find out any information while it was happening and it was frustrating that there were very few success stories out there.

Well, a year ago I took an antibiotic for a UTI and then a few months later I took a different antibiotic for parasites while I was travelling. Since then I've had strange stomach aches on and off each month but was unsure why. Finally the stomach pains got really bad a few months ago, pretty much around the time I lost my taste of salt and sugar. I didn't realise it at the time but I also had a yeast infection (vaginal) and I didn't take anything to resolve it as I had no idea. The stomach pain eventually went after a week or two (along with the yeast infection) but then a month later the stomach pains came back again really really bad along with another yeast infection (by then, I was reading information online and realised I had it). By now it was month 2 with no taste of salt or sugar. My gut and my mouth and my whole system felt off during that whole time and eating food put me in a lot of pain, and I couldn't taste a lot of things properly anyway. I started reading up on yeast overgrowth and candida and wondered what I needed to do. In the meantime the stomach pain got so bad that I went to a pharmacy and they gave me an anti-fungal cream + other anti--fungal product to insert in the vaginal area to get rid of the yeast infection. They told me the treatment was for 6 days and it should clear up within a week. At the same time I also purchased a probiotic supplement which came in the form of a powder to be mixed in water and I took that each morning on an empty stomach to help support my gut health and improve the bacteria in my gut situation. Also at the same time, towards the end of that treatment I visited a gastro doctor to figure out if I had something in my system as the stomach pain was so unbearable, it had been recurring to some extent since the year before but never that bad as those 2 months, and finally I wanted to find out from him why I couldn't taste salt or sugar.

The doctor requested a blood test, stool test and CT scan. By the time I returned to him a week later for the results (at that point a whole 2 months had passed from the start of this stomach pain / no taste business), I miraculously started to feel better a day or 2 before I went back to him for the results. On the day I visited him, I felt back to normal again, and he told me that all my results were clear, no issues on any of the tests. Of course I couldn't understand how or why... next thing I know, within the next day or 2 I could also taste salt and sugar like normal again. So basically things just magically cleared up on their own that week, and the doctor had nothing to tell me except that all my tests showed I was fine.

Of course the whole thing drove me crazy because I couldn't understand how or why or what on earth happened. The only thing I can think is that taking those 2 courses of antibiotics last year messed with the bacteria in my gut and that having the yeast overgrowth somehow messed with my system leading to all those bad symptoms and the yeast infection. The anti-fungal and the probiotics were the only things I took to try to fix the issue, and I'm not sure but I suppose they may have helped things (at least the antifungal for sure cleared up the vaginal yeast infection and stomach pains for me).

I've been feeling well and back to my normal self for the past month and a half now. I already ate quite healthy foods before all this, but since it started I've cut all meat, chicken and milk from my diet. For some reason my body just couldn't stand the thought of them during the stomach pains and until now I feel nauseous if I imagine eating those foods.

Sorry it's such a long story and not so definitive. It may or may not offer some research leads for others out there dealing with the salt and sugar taste problem. I know that a lot of what I read on this discussion from other people's symptoms helped me in trying to piece my own situation together so thank you to everyone who's contributed. Good luck to everyone out there.

I took Minocylcine for 10 days about 6 weeks ago and my sense of smell/taste went away. I still can only taste VERY strong flavors. You have me wondering if it was the antibiotic

I recently had this problem. Everything sweet tasted disgusting. I felt like I couldn’t taste the sugar. Even things I didn’t know had sugar in them-like ketchup-was unbearable. I did 2 things, and my taste is 85% back to normal. I started taking b-12 and zinc vitamins everyday and I switched to an SLS free toothpaste. They’re hard to find but it’s out there. I switched from Colgate to Sensodyne (because it’s SLS free) just read the ingredients and make sure it doesn’t contain that ingredient. I’m not sure if it’s the vitamins or the toothpaste switch but try both. I kind of think it’s the toothpaste.

SAME HERE!! My own mouth tastes disgusting! I can't really describe to people what food tastes like and the after taste is even worse. It was actually my husband who figured out it was the sweetness/sugar that I am missing because I was complaining that French fries were super salty, when they weren't (to anyone else). He said, you aren't getting the sweet taste of the potato to balance it out, so the salt is magnified. He said, "try some pure sugar and see." Sure enough, I couldn't taste it AT ALL. It was so weird. My coffee tastes horrible, my yogurt, granola bars, ice cream (which I LOVE). However, it seems if a food is naturally sweet, like sweet potato, I can tolerate it. No, it isn't GOOD, but it's palatable. I have to pick and choose my food so I am not eating things that taste like vomit. There isn't much, and eating is no longer enjoyable. I am going to see an endocrinologist, because I have other issues that I believe is thyroid related. I am praying this is too. Unfortunately, from everything I have been reading, I feel that is not the case. But I am going to try to stay positive. As much as I can with this issue. Good luck to all of you as well. I will try to remember to come back and post my results. It is October and my appointment is not until January unfortunately. She is a good doctor, so she is booked way out in advanced.

New Member
1 post
This sounds like my situation. I lost my sweet taste 7 years ago and there has been no change. Interestingly, I too can taste artificial sweeteners. I've been to many doctors and healers, but no luck. On the positive side, I'm very healthy and pretty trim. So, a blessing in disguise for a former sugar addict.
Roger

There is a plant called gymnema sylvestre that allows you to not taste anything sweet for a few hours. I know you probably did not take this and it has lasted a lot longer then a few hours but, I thought you would be interested in the fact that there is something that does cause a temporary loss of the ability to taste anything sweet. Hopefully you can figure out what is causing you to not be able to taste anything sweet.