I had my knuckle blown off and middle finger broken also by a gunshot a few weeks ago ....did they rebuild his knuckle? Does it work?

I have just had my index finger knuckle replaced it is grand no pain
Eric jones

Had my index finger done in December had to have it done again in May with a smaller joint, I didn't find there was a lot of pain after the op but I'm now 9 was post op, don't know if I'll ever get real movement again. I've resigned myself to that fact. I always do the excercise sand scar massage. Don't think I'd have another one done.

Who and where is your dr. That did your knuckle? I need a good dr to do mine. Please let me know by email.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks so much

I had knuckle replacements on my index and middle finger 4 weeks ago. I have had constant pain ever since. The pain is worse now than it was BEFORE the surgery was performed.
I can't communicate with my surgeon. He keeps insisting that everything is proceeding normally. I ask him anything and he says "that's normal"
I was taking Narco 10/325 for the first weeks and had the prescription reluctantly refilled with 5/325 last week.
I stopped taking that 4 days ago to try and correct insomnia and found that it decreased pain a little at the time.
My Physical Therapist changed from gentle massage of the area last week to a much more agressive massage and that made matters much worse. My theory is that she tore tissue loose that had been healing. Does this make sense?

That is awful. I,myself had to endure living with RA since I was 18. I'm now almost 26 and was just booked in for my 3rd surgery on my left index knuckle. I received a joint replacement in February. In March I was involved in a motor vehicle accident and a hole 21 days later I received every aspect of the replacement redone. It's not January and following having to step in at work and do traffic control for a couple emergencies. I discovered my joint has failed. It was perfect prior to last week. They advised me that due to my age and how physically active I am fusing my finger is my best option. They feel that since iv received so much damage to the soft tissue, it would likely never hold yet another joint replacement. Any advise? Wish me luck in my next surgery

Who was your doctor?

Kinda wish I hadn't come across this board prior to my surgery! I had my ankle fused 13 times before it finally took. 53 mos in one of the ol' plaster thigh high casts. Needed to eventually have my knee replaced on the same leg but due to the horrible angle of my ankle, my surgeon recommended an ostiotmy mid shin to straighten out toe angle by reattaching tib & fin to compensate. Wound up getting the dreaded MRSA infection & had 8 subsequent surgeries to replace all infected bone with cadaver/sea coral blend. 13 mos on a VANCO drip with a 24/7 pump with other antibiotics, we thought it was gone but 3 days after central lines were removed, it came back with a vengeance & left no choice but to amputate my leg.
I say this not as a surgical "war story" but to preface my question about anyone having this surgery contracting MRSA or any other superbug.
I have also had my spine fused X 3 and my other knee replaced. I think I'm ready as to what pain will be associated with having two knuckle joints replaced & upper joints "pinned" but have to admit, I'm really apprehensive as to any infections. Did anyone having this surgery have antibiotics prior & are antibiotics normally prescribed after? My surgeon doesn't feel the necessity but I'm insisting anyway. What has been the norm for others having this done. Thank you for any information & may you have a pain free life as much as possible.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am unsure why you had the surgery. Although I've had some burning pain, it has not been as bad as the pain before my surgery. Have you contacted your doctor I just don't think you should be having this kind of pain.

You are so young please seek second opinion I hate to see anybody with ra limited like that simply because the doctor has given up

I had the main knuckles replaced 3 and 6 months ago (one hand at a time) due to RA. My pain from the surgery was minimal and I could not be more pleased with the results. Maybe I was just lucky but I wouldn't hesitate to have the surgery.

I had knuckle replacement in March2017, After my second week of physio, found out he had dislocated two of my fingers by having me grip, I had corrective surgery on July 15th and have found out that one of the knuckles from the first surgery is dislocated as well as one from the last! After wearing splints now for seven months, I honestly wished I never had this done!
Everyone's hands are different story, think long and hard before you have this done!

You should try and do all that with a pin in your finger instead of a joint you will feel what pain is. I am working on getting the new knuckle now

My 2 knuckle replacements 3 weeks ago and still very painful ,hang in I'm 70

and still wor,ing p/,time

I had a knuckle replaced two weeks ago and after reading some of these testimonials I am happy to say, I already have 100% less pain then I had before the surgery. I have RA and my finger has not bent in over 3 years, had drifted totally away from all the other fingers and was in pain even when I wasn't using it. As of now the only pain I have is when we are stretching it in therapy and that isn't even as bad as before and it goes away after the stretching is done. I already can bend my finger now 90%. Yes the splints are not the most comfortable but I am very pleased with my outcome so far and although I know it will take a lot more work I couldn't be more pleased. Yes, working on the scar tissue is a big deal and has a lot to do with the success of your movement. I just want people to know there are good outcome too and I guess you have to decide if you want to live with the constant pain you are already in because for me this has stopped my pain and I only had to take pain meds for four days. I now take nothing heavier the Alleve and that is only if I get carried away and stretch too far.