It sounds a lot like Schatzki ring.

I have the same problem. The feeling that the food is stuck in my oesophagus and won't go anywhere. Once I had my first mouthful of steak and it got stuck. 1 hour later it was still there. I ended up going to emergency (private) the first thing they did was give me a small drink of coke. I was hesitant to drink it as I thought I would just bring it up again but the nurse insisted. Within a couple of seconds I could feel my oesophagus opening up and the steak dropped. That sip of coke cost me $200 but it was the best sip of coke I have ever had! I also can get the hiccups on my first swallow of food so I just have a sip of coke (or anything really fizzy) and it solves the problem. I now always keep something fizzy in the fridge just in case. I have had an endoscopy which showed no problems with my oesophagus at all and no reason for this happening.......

My exact words..

I have exactly same problem. However, after trying some alternatives, I have learnt to avoid it. I am a male in mid 50s coming from Indian vegetarian diet background.
I observed that
1 - food with high protein caused this more often than less protein content. So I avoid having first few bites of this type of food, like lentils, yogurt, cheese etc.
2 - The first bite usually does not get stuck for me. It is second to sixth. I drink a few sip of plain water after the first bite. This gives me a feeling of "draining down" of the first bite. Repeat this for six to eight bites and then it is free way for any size/ type of food.
3 - Eat raw vegetables in first few bites - lettuce, tomato etc. -- salad items
4 - Sitting in upright straight posture helped more. So I select a chair to seat rather than a sofa.
5 - Make sure that that my pant (or any other clothes) is not pressing tight over my stomach area - about 2-3 inches above the belly button.
6 - I do not have any hurry or anxiety during eating. Give a delay of @ 20 seconds for first 10 bites.
7 - eat with hand and not with spoon. (I know this sounds completely silly but it helped as my bite became smaller, the food is not too warm) Spoon makes it easy to eat quicker and easier to choke.
8 - if it still happens, walk a few steps around with deep breath.
This helped me (however never got rid of it still for over 20 years) and may help you.

Good points. I would also add thyroid problems that could cause problems with swallowing. I'd suggest a visit to the endocrinologist.

Did you ever figure out your swallowing issues? I have the same thing happening, almost daily or every other day. Meat and bread are the worst! It only happens with the first couple of bites. I have to go and force myself to vomit in order to carry on with my meal.