had mine removed today barely any pain at all just a lil pinching feeling when he started to pull it out thats all just depends on the dr. and if they numb you good just tell them to use exra numbing cream thats all and relaxing is the best thing you can do makes it go so much faster

Thank you for your comment. My husband is getting his out tomorrow.
He was flipping out until I your comment. Thank you Thank you

I had it removef yesterday in 10 seconds. I was amazed ...I DID NOT FEEL ANYTHING. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME TRUST ME...I WAS SO SCARED TO GO REMOVE IT..no pain killer no anesthesia. I had string out. He pulled the string.

so do not worry.

Hello guys. I just had a uretal stent removed about 2 hours ago. I had it placed 4 days ago to remove a 7 mm kidney stone. The stent was removed without any anesthesia or drugs. I feel great and I've been walking since and moving around since.

I am 21. I have gotten stones a lot my whole life cuz of a Mexican condition I have. Anyway, there are 2 types of stent removal. There is string and no string. If it is string, they will just pull it right out. What I advise is taking a deep breath in and when they yank, blow out as hard as you can. That's what i do when I get the string ones, cuz it's cover quick and you are awake and not given anything. For no string, you need to let the doctor know what you comfort level is. If you feel you would rather be anesthetized, tell them that there are short term meds, like versaid, thAt in small doses will knock out for about ten min with no debilitating side effects. You can also request pre op which type you would prefer, they are simply differentiated by which a doctor may prefer. The other thing I recommend is taking a pain pill right before the procedure even if you feel fine at the time. That easy you have meds on board when they start digging

How did this all end for you? My husband is going through the same thing and we feel like the end is never going to come.

I had a 4mm stone stuck in distal end of ureter for 8 months. Two urologists I went to were terrible and told me two different things. I allowed one to do surgery and he claimed he didn't see any stone and told me I should take up meditation or yoga. Rude. I had three catscans two showed the stone and one did not so I'm guessing that's what the doctor went by. Finally had one last scan that showed the same stone never moved. Went to Boston for surgery and it was no issue coming out I had a stent which was not pleasant but managable considering I suffered for 8 months with constant pain. The stent removal was a strange feeling and uncomfortable because of the cystoscooy but was over in minutes. Glad it's over and had one episode of severe kidney pain a couple hours after but subsided with Aleve and valium. Next day feel back to normal. Don't worry about what you read it isn't that bad if you can just focus on the end result if feeling normal again.

I got my sent removed under general anesthesia on Oct 5 2017. I felt no pain being that I was asleep. The only pain was peeing after the surgery. the pain eases after everytime you use it but the burning sensation and stinging pain was pretty bad. I didn't take the pain medicine that was given to me because I thought that was if I was having pain on where the stent was. I was informed after, when the pain was gone, that the pain pills was for the peeing pain. there will also be blood in your pee, like clumps of it coming out, but will go away within 2-3 days.

It's uncomfortable, not painful.

My wife removed mines last night. The key is to relax it really did not hurt.

Has anyone found large pieces of tissue in the toilet directly after a kidney stent removal. I had 5 - 2 around an inch, 2 longer, and 1 shorter...only one came out each time I peed for the first 5 times after removal., but

The left side was just uncomfortable, but it took them longer on the right, and when they finally got a grip on it and pulled it out, I screamed, and then lay there shaking trying to get my breath for a while - it felt like they ripped out part of my kidney.

I also noticed how fast the room cleared out - there were several people there, and after I finally was able to breathe again, everyone was gone except for 1 nurse. The 1st piece of tissue was in the bathroom right there and I wish I had shown it to her, but everyone was just acting like it all went normally...so I didn't think to keep the next four either.

It was after I got home, passed the last one, and the real pain set in, that I realized they had ripped out more than just the stent. Also, the pieces of flesh were kind of transparent and mostly skin-colored, except for the ragged end where they were ripped out - that end was jagged and red/bloody, but there was very little blood, so these were not blood clots.

I called back 3 times, and left 3 msgs for the doctor, but the nurses didn't communicate well, and I was just told they were blood clots and got more pain meds. Well, this is 2 weeks later, and it still hurts in a very specific place, so I'm going to ask that they do some imaging...especially since I also had a post-operative pneumothorax when they put the stents in. In fact, I went to the ER 3 times after the initial surgery. The 2nd was because the anesthesia gave me such severe muscle pain that I couldn't get up & down without aid & had to use a walker -  this lasted 3 days...nothing I had hardly even made a dent in the pain, and I feel they didn't take it nearly seriously enough.. The 3rd time was because I had developed a severe infection, and they gave me stronger antibiotics. I had a really hard time with it, and called to ask they be removed ASAP, but you would think with all the complications I experienced, it would have been prudent for them to order some imaging to make sure it was still in the right place and not sticking to any thing, which obviously it was because 5 large pieces of some kind of tissue were ripped out along with the right stent. Thoughts?

I just had my ureteral stent removed an hour ago. The procedure only took 10 minutes, not including the 15 minutes I had to wait after the numbing gel was inserted. I felt some pressure but really it was painless. There was an odd, chilly feeling; it felt like cold water was being put in my urethra. Don't let people's horror stories scare you; everybody's experience is going to be different, and if your doctor is reputable, there's no need to worry or lose sleep.

57 year old male. Had a stent removed after 10 days. Was very nervous after reading too many of these message board posts. The urologist did prescribe me a valium since he knew I was nervous about it. The valium was only 5mg and had no effect so I was still a nervous wreck during the procedure. The actual removal turned out to be so much easier than I expected. The nurse squirted the lidocaine gel into the end of my penis, they waited about 5 minutes then did the procedure. It took 30 seconds. I was amazed they could do it that fast. It was uncomfortable and I tensed up a little. I felt some moderate pain just for a few seconds but the rest of the time it was just minor pressure. I can't believe now that I spent 10 days of my life worrying about it. Look, I'm sure it's different for everybody but my guess is it's mostly people that have a bad experience that get on a message board to share. If you are nervous about it talk to your doctor and get him to prescribe you something to sedate you a little.

Have you been tested for STD of late? I am not making light of your pain. There has to be some thing else going on. If not STD, proctitis, some thing?

Male 60. I had a stent removed 18 days post op. In office procedure. Only drugs on board were 600mg of Advil and 500mg of Tylenol taken an hour before. Stretched out in a small procedure room naked from waste down. Uro and his Nurse came in and he started explaining the procedure (while reassuring me or was no big deal) while she "prepped" me. She disinfected the head of the penis and then inserted a numbing gel into the urethra via a small syringe (no needle btw). She then hung onto it with it pointed upwards so that nothing would leak out for about a minute and a half while it numbed the area. Then while she as holding it the surgeon inserted a flexible scope explains everything as he went along and what I was about to feel. It was a weird sensation, pressure kind of like peeing backwards. As he passed the prostate there was a pinch like sensation and as he cleared that and entered the bladder he introduced water in order to find the stent. Almost immediately he found it and then he inserted the grasping tool thru the scope into the bladder. He then told me to take 5 deep breaths, wiggle my toes and to try and "pee" as he was slowly pulling and then it was over. The "peeing" part was to assist with the removal instead of tensing up and fighting it as that would cause spasms and irritate the urinary tract. The entire procedure including the freezing portion took about 3 minutes. By far the WORST part for me was his Nurse handling my parts but they were very professional and did their best to distract me. So my advice, ask your doc about taking meds before hand, Check your dignity at the door and relax as it really isn't that bad. Btw this comes from a guy that's an absolute wuss when it comes to pain or discomfort. After reading the negative experiences I had worked myself into a frenzy for no reason at all.