Can insulin ever not work and if it doesn't what happens? Is it dangerous for it not to work? Whenever my dad takes his insulin it doesn't always seem to work and I don't know if that means that he isn't taking enough or if it his body doesn't use it correctly. Or maybe we shouldn't test right after a meal and just let it go for a few hours? I'm worried because he's elderly and always been diabetic and maybe something has changed.

Hi guest,

Your father needs insulin, we all do. 

There are different types of insulin however.  Some are "fast-acting" while others are "long-lasting" and you have types in-between.  Discuss your findings with his doctor.  They might change his medication.

Good luck.

Consult your father's doctor. He may need an insulin change. As people age, insulin secretion and the body's ability to use both the secreted insulin and that which patients inject, changes. He may also need his sliding scale adjusted. Also, is he eating differently? Has he started eating a few new things which may have hidden sugars in them. The best bet is to keep a food and blood sugar diary for three days and then consult the doctor. Taking this information to the doctor will save a lot of time and waiting and he or she may be able to identify the challenges in your dad's lifestyle or maybe what's causing the insulin to appear not to work.

Sounds like your dad might need a different insulin or need more of it. Sometimes the kind you've taken for years just stops working. I'd talk to his doctor soon before things get worse, especially with all the great food around the holidays, and the insulin stops working altogether. You don't want him ending up in the hospital with uncontrolled blood sugar. That could take days to figure out while they try out different insulins. I know some people need to take shots and a pill, maybe look into that for him?

It is interesting to see the comments about insulin stopping working. Brand name insulin products are not human insulin because they have been chemically changed in order to be patented. A company cannot patent anything made my nature, so to get around that drug companies make alterations and then do animal and chemical trials to see if the changed product causes harm or not. Perhaps governments should just start manufacturing actual human insulin for their diabetic population, even though it may not have the same storage life or be less convenient.

ONE YEAR AGO I WAS TAKING METFORMIN AND GLIMIBRIDE, NO INSULIN. MY CONTROL LEFT MUCH TO BE DESIRERD. nOW, MY CONDITION IS GETTINGRSE I AM TAKING ONE HUNDRED

same here.... every time my doctor tries to con me into taking insulin, my numbers are off the charts and he makes me go thru hail and high waters to get my pills back.
i don't get why people are in such disbelief when i tell them insulin doesn't work for me.
i have to let my sugars go high to prove to him that I NEED MY MEDS but i shouldn't have to put my self at risk just so that i get my doctor to do his job.

Hi, I'm a diabetic person too. I have to inject insulin once a week and maintaining high dosage medicines. It really sucks me. I really don't know what to do. I've read in an article that there's a painless solution that could treat my diabetes. As I remembered, it is a CO2 treatment. I forgot what's the name of the article, the name of device was mentioned there but I can't remember it no matter how hard I try. Anybody here can tell me about it? I'm so desperate this time, pls help me. Thanks.

Him I am taking 300 units of insulin per meal 3 times a day and my sugar is still in the upper 200 and 300.I weigh 155 pounds not obese and no one can figure out what to do. I eat approximately 60 carbs per meal. Does anyone else have this problem? I rotate injection sites so that's not the problem and I don't eat sweets all day. Nothing is working for me.

I take 120 units of toujeo & 200 units of Novolog. daily. My sugar still stays in the 200 to 300 range. i dont eat much because i have Liver Deasea.

Stop eating so many carbs and you'll see your numbers drop and you won't need so much insulin. I weigh 150, and the carbs are what do me in.

I agree! Type 1 for 37 years and the insulin is no longer as effective.