I'm going to start studying this martial art soon and was wondering if anyone else does this? If so, what impacts if any has it had on your running, negative and positive? I'll be studying twice a week an hour each class.

Where are you studying? I have taken it under two different branches. Love it. Great leg workout. Get ready to roll. :)

Two major branches here in Philly, Aikikai and Aikido Association of America.

Let me know if you have specific question now or when you start. Post here or PM me so I see it.

Frankford-Torresdale is offering hour-long classes for $4 a pop, and I can go Monday & Friday from 7-8am. I figured I'd start there on the cheap, and if I really liked it I'd go to a "real" school for it.

I like that it's defensive rather than offensive, but I could still theoretically do some major damage if I had to.

I've noticed on trail runs that my legs hurt like the dickens, and was told it was due to weak stabilizer muscles. I assume this will help with that problem, yes?

You must live in my old 'hood. I grew up about 2 miles from Frankford-Torresdale.

One of the near by schools probably teaches there. Part community service part recruitment. Whatever you do, don't call the instructors uniform a skirt. (many a joke about this) It is called a Hakama and is actually pleated pants.

Aikido is defensive; but, it does take a long time to get good at it. It does offer a lot of benefits just don't expect to have lots of self defense skills in a few months.

You will do lots of rolling and picking yourself up of the mat. This works just about everything.

Let me know how your first class goes :)

I've studied akido, but not while running, so I can't help there. Just wanted to add that it is a lot of fun! (and I wasn't any good at it)

I have been studying aikido for 6 years and started running 2 years ago (I completed my first marathon last year). I find especially value in aikido to refine my running form (balance, alignment, being relaxed).

Hope this helps!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

My dad used to do it and he said Aikido is pretty hard on the knees because of all the rolling,  the legs get bashed up a lot too because it's all a more evasive martial arts with fluid movements or tripping your opponent to subdue  them, so your legs will get kicks quite a lot.