I have been thinking of engaging myself into some agriculture. Perhaps it would be better if I have used this thirst for knowledge back in school, but thats how it is. Right now I am planning to do some serious research on opium and poppy, since I am considering cultivating it in my garage. I have already cleaned it and waiting for first money income to start the work. What strains of poppy are most potent?

As for which papaver produces the biggest yield, I guess it has to do more with growing conditions and with weather too. The most potent sap is produced by Tasmanian papaver (Tasalk company). I have heard that Somniferum is most commonlyused for growing. Also giganthemums will give a decent amount of yield. Anyway, you should get some ore info on net before actually starting growing, the technique and stuff.

As has been stated, the  'potency' of Papever Somniferum varies greatly due to climate, soil, even the height above sea-level, etc, etc; However, I do not agree about the variety commonly called 'Gigantheum'.Whilst it is a superb Poppy for drying annd displaying in a vase, its Opium content is variable. As for the variety 'Tasmanian', I must agree on the potency of this variety...soil, climate, etc, taken into consideration. Also, the variety from Afghanistan ('Bush'), for those who incise the heads rather than the more popular, less Back-breaking method of making a Herb Tea from the mature capsules, ground down, is well worth investigating. Others, the more  commonly available variety , 'Hens and Chicks', a mutant strain (apparently!) with the main capsule (the 'Hen') surrounded by small unformed caps, the 'Chicks', are everyone's favourite, being a wonderful 'show' variety in a vase...However, these too can be of disappointing potency... (Also, there are the 'Whites', Burmese, also Indian [and Persian...not like the varieties from Burma or India..]). One more time, it DEPENDS ON many factors, as mentioned. If interested in all aspects of P.Somniferum, 'God's Own Medecine', 'Pods of the Gods' etc, there is no better starting point to learn and make your aquaintance with this ineffable plant than the book by Jim Hogshire, 'Opium For The Masses'...other books are available, but Mr.Hogshire, especially in light of the price he paid for making such information available for all deserves a book himself!

The hard to find & rare "China White" strain of poppies are very prolific, producing around 8-12 flower pods per plant. Also this papaver somniferum strain yields a surprisingly high amount of alkaloid juice/sap. They were so full of juice that the grower had difficulty drying out the pods! Papaver somniferum poppies average about 8–14% alkoloids by dry weight, although only a handfull of papaver somniferum cultivars reach 26% - 30% such as the rare china white. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I don't know if it's true, i don't know about any studies on the subject, but in my homecountry, Macedonia (FYR) they say that we have the strongest opium/highest morphine yield poppy in the world. Yet, i don't think you could esily find seeds :(

It's so hypocritical that the government allows you to kill yourself with all the alcohol and tobacco your heart desires. But dare you grow a pot or opium plant you're screwed! My wife is a brittle diabetic that's been suffering too damn long. I guess its time to become a criminal and start growing both because I've never seen a person suffer like my wife has from the disease. To think this country brags about its freedom's but doesn't allow you to grow a plant for yourself.

The war on drugs, if you look more closely, is a much bigger war. It's really the war of Big Pharm on people figuring out that many herbs do the job a lot better, a lot healthier and a lot cheaper. My Doctor prescribed SSRI's to me within 30 seconds of me mentioning the word depression....the most dangerous mind altering drugs a person can take and guarenteed to skrew up your life. I had to beg him for codeine because I suffer from cluster heachaches now and then. Never took the SSRI's and I'm not addicted to codeine!! Turned to Ayurvedic medicine (Ashwagandha, Gotu Kola etc.) instead. Problem solved and fit as a fiddle.

Tasmanian and Giganthemum are cultivars of Somniferum