Take the medicine at list onece in 3months , my stop for 6year after talking gabapentin for a year and it just started again .

I literally just did that. I waited a couple hrs before drinking back Daniels sour mash whiskey. Ive only had one shot, and i feel a bit tired, and nervous, just cuz sometimes I can act like a hypochondriac...but I did my research and I'll be just fine. I took 209 my of gabapentin this morning because I was shaking bad. I drink alot, usually everyday I drink 375ML of whisky, each day with 2 needs at night. So I do need to wean myself off of the boos.cuz now that I sweat&shake every morning, then when I drink I feel normal. So just be careful, don't let yourself beccome dependant on alcohol and pills. It's a slippery slope. And I'm in recovery from pain killers. It's hard to stay sober,cuz I I have really bad anxiety and sleep paralysis...but I'm working on it. Just be careful! Godbless you, ♡.

Hi Jo
Get another doctor. Preferably a good Neurologist. Im in the same boat with Gabapenten not covering the pain enough. There are other meds that make Gabapenten work better. Wish you well and more relief

Hi Jo

Feb 12/2019
I got shingles on my face the first week of December. Took Acyclovir a few weeks until sores dried up then was prescribed Gabapentin. I get a sharp pain across head off and on but mostly its itchy and short of using battery acid, I want to rip my face off ! Face is really red around cheek and really affecting the right eye, and is itchy where all the sores were. At least I can cover it a bit with makeup now if I have to go out but don't feel like going anywhere socially. When this first started, I looked like a bulldog that had a fight with a blender. Anyway, I am weaning off gabapentin and now back to the orig amt of 300 mg X3 daily so far. They don't seem to be working and had been taking advil too which I think is what was helping.. Will do that for a few days and lower it again. I got another prescription from doc which I will start the last night of weaning. It is actually an antidepressant type drug (which I haven't ever had before or tried yet this time) they use for this kind of pain/itch from shingles. Maybe it is used with shingles because the stress factor really can start a bout of shingles, and I have had a real mess of stressors for years, haven't been ill though, no flues colds, for years so don't think immune system is wrecked. One thing that helps a bit is an ointment called Biofreeze; (got at London drugs) it penetrates deeper than itch creams and lasts a little while. I tried mixing it with a natural moisturizer I have and that works even better. Seems to calm the nerves causing the trouble for a few hours. Some days it is worse. Anyway, really fed up with this and taking drugs. I am 72.5 years old and don't take anything and use supplements for problems, naturally. I want to dump these poisons and get "on with it' , like life.. Maybe check out the Gaba info on a natural site. I found an interesting article, actually when reading about MSG allergies; and it explained a lot about glutamates something like when there is an imbalance in brain, they can overwhelm neurotransmitters such as gaba and glycine; nothing to do with shingles, but it had some really good info on what may help this. One reader actually said to take glycine and that it helps, so I guess this is why. Check this yourself, because this statement is very vague that I wrote. Anyway hope some of this helps someone. Am anxious to try the new 'script' I got in a day or so.
L.R (BC Canada)

But does it feels like it still be working even when you drink

I stopped Gabapentin cold turkey. Bad Idea. I had the shakes for a week. I'll just drink a beer. Good bye to that stuff