Hi. My child has chicken pox. I am really very worried. I would like to help him more. Can homeopathy be helpful in treating chicken pox? Please reply. Worried mother

Hi. My kid had chicken pox. It is really no big deal. Chicken pox can often be treated with homeopathy. There are many remedies for chicken pox. You have antimonium tartaricum, for example. You may use this remedy when eruptions are large. If the eruptions are sore and painful, you may use antimonium crudum. If the skin of your child is pink, puffy and itchy, you can try apis mellifica. Belladonna is another remedy, used when a child is feverish and has a red rash. With persisant fever, you may try bryonia. It is very useful. If eruptions are infected, try mercurius solubilis.

Treatment of chicken pox is usually limited to bed rest, acetaminophen for relief of fever and discomfort, and measures that soothe the itching, including lukewarm baths and application of topical medicines such as calamine lotion. Excessive scratching can cause infection of blisters, which can lead to scarring. Acyclovir, an antiviral drug, is used to treat severe cases of chicken pox, particularly in patients with a weakened immune system.

Antim tart., Rhus tox, Kali mur., Pulsatilla, Aconite, Ars-alb, Apis, Belladona, Sulphur etc are known to work in cases of chickenpox. Which one is best suited for you, only a homoeopathic physician can tell after knowing the patient's symptoms.