I am a 45 year old male in generally good health, with no history of heart or other physical problems. I have been experiencing increasing pain/throbbing in my lower to middle back during highly tense situations (i.e. sudden traffic stress), especially when the adrenal glands appear to kick in. At first the throbbing was localized across the lower back (at kidney level), but over the last two years its been gradually shooting up the back of my abdomen along what feels like the inside wall of my back. The throbbing can be so intense and debilitating when it first comes on and just about cripples me, and it is as though I can feel every the surge of blood through a large vessel in my back and sometimes up towards my chest (almost feels as though a quart of blood is squeezing through a constricted blood vessel with every pulse of my heart - slight increase in heart rate, but not that much). This usually lasts from 45 seconds to several minutes after the episode depending on how intense the situation. I have seen a cardiologist and done a fundamental treadmill heart test, and I've also had an abdominal ultrasound for an aortic aneurysm, but nothing showed abnormal. I feel like I'm battling a ghost as no doctor I have asked has ever heard of these symptoms. I think it may be endocrinological in nature. Can someone please tell me what this could possibly be, or at least confirm that I am not alone...Help!!!

Ray Jay- I have the same pain that you describe when the "fight or flight" reaction kicks in. This has happened many times, and it seems to be getting worse. The pain is debilitating and of a severe throbbing nature. I have to grit my teeth and remain still until it subsides. So... I can confirm that you are not alone. I am starting treatment for adrenal burnout with vitamins and herbal therapy. I hope that this will help my overall health. I am 60 yr old and take benadryl daily for nasal allergies. AS an asde, I wonder if the benadryl is related to this reaction?

I have the same disorder, and am not sure what to make of it. I am 38 years old, in good general health but am about 40 lbs overweight. When I get what I would call an adrenaline rush, I get an intense throbbing pain in my mid to lower back. The throbs are spaced about 1 second apart, but it literally makes me pause what I am doing until I relax. While in the "heat of the moment" for lack of a better term (whatever caused the adrenaline spike) I don't notice it, but when the crisis is over I feel as though I am spasming. Though I don't know what it is, I am glad that others are experiencing this and it is not just in my head.

Gents,
I just had an episode of exactly what you are talking about due to some @#! driver who almost got me killed. (which sent me searching for an answer) I'm 37 and in excellent health. This has happened several times in years past. The symptoms are sharp kidney pain following an extreme adrenaline rush and anger. The pain mostly subsides after a few minutes but lingers just a bit as the day wears on.

I'm not on any medications whatsoever and I'm absolutely convinced that this is somehow related to the adrenal glands. I'm no doctor, just an over analytical engineer who's frustrated by the lack of medical information on this symptom in association with extreme stress. I know the adrenal glands are located next to the kidneys, so it’s not wholly surprising, but my question is whether it’s directly related to the release or is it secondary, such as the removal of the adrenaline by the kidneys afterwards. I regularly take all kinds of life and death risks in many extreme sports, but I never get the rush of pain that follows a person to person confrontation where my emotions seem more engaged than merely a solo near death crash or accident.

This happens to me too. It happened today when I stopped on the freeway to help someone involved in accident. My lower back tightened up and began to throb, doubling me over. It usually wears off within a minute or two, but I feel drained for awhile after that. It used to happen every time I would have to talk to my boss, but now only happens when there is something extreme happening like today. I hope it is normal, but it has me curious as well because adrenaline rushes are supposed to make you more agile, not cripple you. I've been tested a few years ago for adrenal problems but nothing was found. I think it may have to do with an overactive hormonal system which in times of stress pumps out more adrenaline than needed in the situation and the pain response may be an offshoot of your body trying to absorb the amount of adrenaline just released, hence the throbbing and tightness in the back which susides fairly soon. I know for me I am oversensitive hormonally already in that my body produces too much insulin in response to sugars consumed, so it makes sense that systemically I may be overproducing other hormones as well. I'm not a doctor, but this is my best guess.

I am 32, I take no medication, I exercise 6 days a week and I am in pretty good shape. I have had horrible pain in my lower back when when I am in extreme fear or nervous situations. The pain is very sharp and it makes me tighen up, grit my teeth, and breath intensely. It is worse than when I broke my wrist. Here is an example, I love roller coasters and most of the time I am ok...... but I was in Florida at Disney this past year and the Aerosmith Rockn Roller Coaster (a coaster I have been on at least 5 times and love) caused it to happen. I think what caused it was the fact that we waited in the car for 5 min while they made some adjustments to the ride and when the music came on it was louder than I have ever experienced on that ride, painfully loud. With the shoulder restraints as they are I couldnt hold my ears.....that stressed me out slightly and changed the type of adrenaline rush I experienced.

I also felt this back pain when I had a stressful incident happen while driving. This is no joke its some of the worst pain I have ever felt thankfully it only lasts 30 seconds to a minute. PLEASE POST IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON WHAT CAUSES THIS AND IF IT CAN BE PREVENTED!!! I do not have medical insurace and hunting this problem down out of my own pocket could get costly. Thank you to anyone who can help.

After a few episodes of this exact pain I have found myself searching for answers. I am a male 24 years old, I would consider myself to be a medium build and fit. I don't take any medications and have never had any health problems in the past.

Everytime I get an adrenaline rush (from sporting or even once when someone nearly crashed into my car) I get a crippling pain in my lower back around the kidney area, it is very intense and sometimes even shoots upwards as far as my shoulders. It only last about 30 seconds but it is so intense that I can't move, if I'm standing I have grab a hold of somthing or I will fall to the ground, if I am sitting my back arches inwards and goes tense.

I have made an appointment with my doctor and will try my hardest to find answers hopefuly a way to overcome it.

I have searched alot on the internet and have found one person who says they have Addison's Disease and also expirience this and i will be mentioning this to my doctor it may be a place to start.

If anyone finds some answers or even other people with different medical conditions that expirience this please post I'm very concerned about my and now our wellbeing as this is not a plesent thing to have to deal with especially in a "fight or flight" situation.

Any ideas what this problem is? I have had this for about 5 years,still have no clue.

Wow, I thought I was the only one for a while and I'm so glad I'm not alone with these symptoms.
I live in the UK and have had a few of these extreme "Adrenaline Rush" like episodes. I last had this pain when I was involved in a "Street Race" where the excitement was immense. As I came to slow down after some real exciting driving, I started to get the wildest pains in my kidney region. Every beat of my Heart felt like a Steel Blade Stabbing me in the lumbar region, to a point when I was screaming out in Agony. The throbbing seemed to spread from my lower back and working down my legs and upward toward my shoulders which then started to subside after about a minute or so.
This was followed by an almost euphoric state of mind where I was feeling fantastic - almost on a high of some sort. I felt alert, able to make fast decisions and nothing seemed to be a problem for about 30 mins after the initial pain.
I am 42 and have no medical problems, normal weight and not on any medication or drugs, legal or otherwise. I must say that euphoric state of the adrenaline rush was something else but so was the pain. I spoke to my Medical Practitioner and he said it was back strain but somehow, I dont think so.
I want a second opinion and if possible some tests as I am worried about a more serious underlying cause to this sensation.

Normally I dont post in forums like this, but I have the SAME EXACT problem that all of you have described.

Major back pain right after an adrenaline rush. I've had this since I was a child, but its more noticeable now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ike

Same problem to me too.

It happened once again yesterday when I almost had a fight, but this time I continue to feel a soft pain until now...

Additionally to the pain, the most times, I also feel angry and although I understand that it is not something normal I am very aggressive for several hours after the pain occurs.

I am going to visit a doctor the following days and if I' ll learn anything useful I 'll post again.

I have the same symptom too. I am 30 and have had the pain in the back during adrenaline rushes for at least 5 years now. What I think we should do is find something we all have in common. Wether it is chemical exposure, medication, military service, vaccinations, something is obviously causing it and we need to find out what. So here is my information that maybe of help, I was active duty in the U.S. Army from 2001 to 2002. I live in near Binghamton, New York and have basically have all my life. I have been out of work for since 2006 and disabled due to Schizoaffective disorder. I currently take psychiatric medication for it. I also take medication for GERD, omeprazole to be exact. I have had the normal vaccinations in childhood and the one someone gets during military service, what ever they are? There is much too my medical history so at risk of discussing too much I am going to leave it at that for now. Please put out information that you think is useful. Thank you 

I have experienced the same symptoms of horrible back pain when in extremely stressful situations, or when I get very frightened or angry.  I take no medications other than aspirin and vitamins.  The only difference in my symptoms is that the pain rises to my neck and shoulders and is almost paralyzing during the episode.  It is a frightening experience, and I can only agree that it must be some type of adrenal gland over-production. This is the first time I have heard of someone else having the same problem; thought I had some rare malady.

I am a 25yr old male and started having these pains whenever i had close calls while driving or when in a situation where i could get in a possible fight.  I have been in serious car accidents and bad fights before.  At first i thought i was getting pains from being traumatized since I have anxiety. Ive taken paxil, zoloft, effexor, and buspar in the past. None helped with the anxiety or the depression but Im guessing it might not be the anxiety causing the pain.  I also had to go to urgent care a few months back, I was having terrible chest pains later diagnosed as costchondritis. The doctor said it was due to stress. So stress and anxiety and adrenaline? How do doctors not know about this. 

I am 28 and have been experiencing this same symptom for the past 7 years. I first noticed the spasms while I was pregnant with my first child. Anytime I experience a surge of adrenaline (most commonly anger or fear), my spine begins to stiffen and sharp pains climb upwards into my neck and shoulders. Like the rest of the posters in this forum, these pains are crippling and have sent me grabbing for something to stop me from falling. I had no trauma to my spine when these pains started and am in fairly good health. If anyone has come up with an answer as to why these pains are occurring, I would love to know.