I have heard for more then twenty cases of Leishamiasis of some military troops. Since different military constantly enters my city, I want to hear something about this. I know it is constant threatening for military, but I am worried about my family as well. Can you tell me if this is common problem and where does it occur most commonly?

It is true that lately was reported more than 20 cutaneous and 12 cases of viscerotropic Leishmaniasis. This was identified when 697,000 allied soldiers were deployed to the Arabian Peninsula during Operation Desert Shield. However, you have to know that no fatalities were associated with Leishmaniasis in this deployment. Anyway, new lessons were learned that this disease could affect future military deployments. Before Operation Desert Shield, eastern Saudi Arabia was not known to be endemic for Leishmaniasis. In addition, Leishmania tropica had not been convincingly shown to produce visceral disease. More importantly to know is that the potential for Leishmaniasis to cause intransigent postdeployment diagnostic problems and threaten blood supplies had not been anticipated. Infection with Leishmania was listed as one of the causative agents of the Persian Gulf War syndrome. However, the scientific evidence for this association is lacking.