I have heard for case when a child was infected with Haemophilus influenzae. I am interested into this topic, so I would appreciate if there is someone who might tell me more about it. I am especially interested into treatment after infection of Haemophilus, could Ampicillin really help.

Encapsulated strains of Haemophilus influenzae isolated from cerebrospinal fluid are coccobacilli. In morphology, they are similar to Bordetella pertussis, the agent of whooping cough. Non-encapsulated organisms of Haemophulus extracted from sputum are pleomorphic and often exhibit long threads and filaments. The organism may appear Gram-positive, and furthermore, elongated forms from sputum may exhibit bipolar staining. This is leading to an erroneous diagnosis of Streptococcus pneumoniae. Virtually all patients treated early in the course of Haemophilus influenzae meningitis are cured, so it should not worry you so much. The mortality rate of treated infections is less than 10 percent, but nearly 30 percent of the children have residual neurological effects. Ampicillin has been the drug of choice for Haemophilus influenzae, but presently over 20 percent of all strains of these agents are resistant to Ampicillin. This is happening because of plasmid-mediated ß-lactamase production, but still the recommended treatment for Haemophilus influenzae meningitis is Ampicillin. Tetracyclines and sulfa drugs remain effective in treating sinusitis or respiratory infection caused by nontypable Haemophilus influenzae.