Users comments and reviews on Relationships: Avoiding the Line of Fire by Margaret Paul, Ph.D.

Interesting and informative article and true when in a marriage, you cannot make someone else do or act as you would like them to, you only have the power to change the way you act towards them. Understanding that we ultimately only have control over ourselves, we can better approach others with the knowledge that we are having a conversation with them to simply let them know how we feel and not try and change how they feel. For instance if you want your spouse to be open and communicate with you then by respecting who they are and allowing them the opportunity to have a conversation when they are ready. When speaking with them coming from a point of how you feel instead of putting them on the defensive with create an atmosphere of open communication. There is defiantly an art of communicating and as you stated why approach a person when they are not in the frame of mind to have a conversation.

I'm having troubles talking to my husband when we need to talk, he usually walks away when I talk to him. If I try to talk to him he usually ignores me and goes on with his night. He says things to me that hurt me, basically he's saying that I'm in his way of doing things. Like I shouldn't be in his life. Everythings you and I not us. Isn't it supposed to be us when you are married. This article doesn't help me much. Please help me! I don't know if I can do this anymore.