A film by Ron Shelton

There really isn t a lot of positive things that I can say about this movie. The premise is that there is some rappers are murdered in a nightclub. Two detectives investigate the murders and find that it isn t a straight forward murder, but rather something that has deeper implications towards a music label and perhaps the police force itself. Joe (Harrison Ford) is the older cop who sells real estate on the side (and sometimes on the job). He is paired with K.C. (Josh Harnett), a young detective who is also a yoga instructor and an aspiring actor. Somehow all of this is brought together, but it really doesn t matter.

The movie is a comedy. Director Ron Shelton can direct comedy, he has done so in the past with Bull Durham and Tin Cup (these were slightly more serious comedies). This movie was supposed to be funny. You can see some scenes working very hard for a laugh. It s just not funny. It is dull, uninteresting and I believe the last half hour of the movie was one long chase sequence. There are supporting performances and cameos from Master P, Gladys Knight, Lena Olin, Bruce Greenwood, Isaiah Washington, Lolita Davidovich, Dwight Yoakam, Lou Diamond Philips, and Martin Landau. The movie has enough quality ingredients that it should be a better movie. It isn t. It s a rather bad one. Skip this movie.

2 out of 5 pugs

I think 2 pugs is quite generous...

The acting from both was quite stilted, as if the stars didn't get along with each other in real life.

The overall premise was promising, but the "out of money" cop and "want to be an actor" premises were really overdone, in my opinion.

My favorite part of the movie: the opening song. It was cool.